The Boat battle on Lake Travis (no politics)

JimmyJames

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

in certain emergencies, if people are opting to not move, they get pushed along or out of the way.

[csb] I was lucky enough to to experience a Continental Airlines simulation of a plane evacuation that they gave to employees and key corporate customers. They told us to not be shy about pushing people especially idiots trying to grab their bags. It was interesting event. Interior of a 737 in a warehouse with smoke, noise, etc. You ran to the exit and slid down the chute.  We also were able to practice opening up the different emergency doors. Definitely better than working that day.

Just brought back memories of the Swimming merit badge. During our water rescue section, they told us if the victim panicked and tried to drag us down, we were supposed to "knock them out." They told this to a bunch of pre-teen kids who were about as muscular as a half-plate of spaghetti. But we grimly went about our simulated rescues, ready to strike.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I haven't paid attention to the videos so it may have happened but I'm surprised there weren't jet skis and wave runners launching 40 feet into the air. Some of those dudes are nuts and see big wakes as their own personal stunt ramps.

in the section i was in, there was no room to get to speed, or more specifically to slow down. you definitely did not want to fall off cause you would definitely get ran over.

in hindsight, my buddy and i were thinking it would've been more enjoyable and safer in a jet ski. would've handled the waves better. but we have 3 people jetskis and not the little one person ones.

good example of how fast you can get into trouble.  Non-trump parade near sinking of a boat a couple of weekends ago in Florida: 

The scariest part is around 30 seconds in, when the guy in the front opens up the compartment to get a life jacket for himself. The next wave pulls out a few other life jackets and they float away.  FYI. A Trump boat comes to the rescue.

There's a series of videos of Haulover inlet near miami and the ensuing chaos.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

So the organizers decided on a speed of 11mph. Or literally the speed most people wakesurf at because that's the speed most boats throw the largest wake possible.

Smart folks considering the needs of others in community!

I was wondering if it had anything to do with wake surf speeds. F'ing lulz if true. That's some dumbass shit right there.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

look at the size of the waves/wakes. hearing the screams of "help us" brings it home. don't care where anyone leans on the political spectrum, it was painful to watch. also feel sorry for the sail boat that was anchored and had to endure about 1.5 hours of that shit. 

for most, that was a fun day on the lake turned dangerous. 

edit: just saw that was a video of a trump parade in portland. some stretches of the lake travis parade looked like that and worse.

Maybe hit the gym, mix in a salad here and there, and buy a little bigger boat for next time?

Just spitballing here.

queue the Captain Rex Kramer from "Airplane" meme.

"Sir, should we order the boats to a lower or higher cruising speed so as to reduce surface wake?" 

"No...that's just what they'll be expecting us to do....All craft to 11mph!"  

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Beyond class, it's a perfect metaphor for the asinine, toxic John Galt ethos -- the cult of the individual, at the complete and total disdain and expense of every other human being in our community - that is utterly corrosive and destructive to any functioning society.

Who is John Galt?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

good example of how fast you can get into trouble.  Non-trump parade near sinking of a boat a couple of weekends ago in Florida: 

The scariest part is around 30 seconds in, when the guy in the front opens up the compartment to get a life jacket for himself. The next wave pulls out a few other life jackets and they float away.  FYI. A Trump boat comes to the rescue.

There's a series of videos of Haulover inlet near miami and the ensuing chaos.

Never occured to the driver to stop throttling forward and have people shift to the back of the boat.  It was like he was workinng his ass off to sink that thing.

Wow.

Too many on the boat, choppy seas, and a dumbass at the wheel will net you result that just about every time.

Edited by Cajun

I witnessed in "slow motion" the sinking of two boats. As soon as I saw the scenario from a distance I knew the outcome. Sadly it was pre cell phones or it would have made for a great PSA.

A sailboat had been hit at the waterline and was taking on water fast. A motor boater tried to help the sailboat by towing them to shore. They had tied the sailboat off to the stern cleat instead of just throwing a wrap on it. Once the sailboat went, it was maybe 20 seconds before both boats were completely gone in one of the deepest parts of Lake Travis. There was no way for the motorboat to have untied since the line had tension the entire time. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

most people think boats take hours to sink like the titanic. nope, once that bilge fills up and any part of the boat goes below the water line, it's within seconds.

It is for those type of rubbermaid boats for sure. If any of these clowns had a legitimately designed and constructed boat, that is not the case really. Every boat is sinkable, but a seaworthy vessel can take green water over the deck quite easily.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Beyond class, it's a perfect metaphor for the asinine, toxic John Galt ethos -- the cult of the individual, at the complete and total disdain and expense of every other human being in our community - that is utterly corrosive and destructive to any functioning society.

So basically the same as looting and rioting?

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't paid attention to the videos so it may have happened but I'm surprised there weren't jet skis and wave runners launching 40 feet into the air. Some of those dudes are nuts and see big wakes as their own personal stunt ramps.

I used to sit outside the marina at Horseshoe Bay in one of these and wait for boats to come out so I could jump the wake. Good times.

497be388562be91cbd49c89f5e1b0a91.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I witnessed in "slow motion" the sinking of two boats. As soon as I saw the scenario from a distance I knew the outcome. Sadly it was pre cell phones or it would have made for a great PSA.

A sailboat had been hit at the waterline and was taking on water fast. A motor boater tried to help the sailboat by towing them to shore. They had tied the sailboat off to the stern cleat instead of just throwing a wrap on it. Once the sailboat went, it was maybe 20 seconds before both boats were completely gone in one of the deepest parts of Lake Travis. There was no way for the motorboat to have untied since the line had tension the entire time. 

I like to use a modern invention called a knife in situations like that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

So basically the same as looting and rioting?

Yes.  Very, very similar.  Except we have outlawed rioting and looting, and our leadership seems quite enthusiastic about calling out THOSE destructive behaviors.  So....wait....maybe totally different, because our leadership and culture fucking WORSHIPS the idea of "me, me, me, and FUCK YOU!"  Everything is a zero-sum game -- for me to win, you have to lose.  I get to do what I want, and I owe you and the greater community nothing.  It's all toxic.....but we have made a god out of one version of it, as we rapidly poison ourselves to death.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I don't think there was any Peikoff-Objectivism going out there on Lake Travis.  It was the older, fatter, dumber, more ignorant version of the 25 year old "got my dad's boat for the holiday weekend bros!" set but in larger numbers, going in the wrong direction...altogether.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Why would anyone want to get involved in that?

Do people really think Antifa has torpedoes?  Lulz. 

I just logged into Facebook and saw some local idiot sharing a link that Barack Obama and George Soros created Antifa.

So yes, people really think Antifa has torpedoes.

58 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I don't think there was any Peikoff-Objectivism going out there on Lake Travis.  It was the older, fatter, dumber, more ignorant version of the 25 year old "got my dad's boat for the holiday weekend bros!" set but in larger numbers, going in the wrong direction...altogether.  

Plenty of ways to dismantle that philosophy without incorrectly tying the average Trumper to it.  

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

So the organizers decided on a speed of 11mph. Or literally the speed most people wakesurf at because that's the speed most boats throw the largest wake possible.

Smart folks considering the needs of others in community!

Samson's Wig post------------Perhaps.  But I still hold a number of essential elements of Objectivism to be valid and worthy of consideration.  Obviously a conversation for another thread with more whiskey.  

I'll leave the topic with this anecdotal observation.  You could fit the number of (you named the group, not me) supporters that understand, good bad or indifferent, even a modicum of Objectivism on one lake boat.  Granted, the boat would sink under the weight...but still, they could all fit on just one boat.  Being tethered to a questionable philosophy can be troubling to some, but having absolutely no basis in reason or doctrine whatsoever.  Well, that's how you end up in the great cosmic boat parade to nowhere.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My dad was out fishing in Copano Bay when a sudden storm blew in off of the gulf. The type where you can feel the air pressure plummet and cold air dropping out of the cell. On his way back to his house, he happened upon a boat that was dead in the water with a lone fisherman on it. Tried to tow the boat back to his canal, but the bay was getting very rough. The dead boat took a good hit from a wave and started taking on water and my dad could hear his motor complaining about it. He cut the line over the very vocal complaints of the fisherman, but as soon as the line was cut the boat immediately went under. My dad towing it was the only thing keeping it up and it was only a matter of time before it got so heavy it dragged everyone down with it. When the water wants it, it gets it.

5 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

My dad was out fishing in Copano Bay when a sudden storm blew in off of the gulf. The type where you can feel the air pressure plummet and cold air dropping out of the cell. On his way back to his house, he happened upon a boat that was dead in the water with a lone fisherman on it. Tried to tow the boat back to his canal, but the bay was getting very rough. The dead boat took a good hit from a wave and started taking on water and my dad could hear his motor complaining about it. He cut the line over the very vocal complaints of the fisherman, but as soon as the line was cut the boat immediately went under. My dad towing it was the only thing keeping it up and it was only a matter of time before it got so heavy it dragged everyone down with it. When the water wants it, it gets it.

Did he at least turn around and pluck they guy out of the water?

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Did he at least turn around and pluck they guy out of the water?

He had the guy on his boat when they started the tow. He had a good feeling that it was going to happen and planned ahead. Got pointed the right way and his neighborhood was a straight shot from where they were.

26 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Fellas it’s too rough to feed ya

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

Shit, I wish. I was busy slaying Bud Lights out near Brady.

As was I (well, some of them were Meelers Lite, some of them were Modelos) -- dry as hell out there, so not many birds.  Till we got an invite to a milo field....where a random thunderstorm decided to piss on us (it was dry 500 yards away).  So, I drank more beer and told more bullshit lies on the patio later.  I mean, not because of the rain -- that's what I was gonna do no matter what.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

As was I (well, some of them were Meelers Lite, some of them were Modelos) -- dry as hell out there, so not many birds.  Till we got an invite to a milo field....where a random thunderstorm decided to piss on us (it was dry 500 yards away).  So, I drank more beer and told more bullshit lies on the patio later.  I mean, not because of the rain -- that's what I was gonna do no matter what.

Yep. It was slim pickings.  Thank goodness for beer, tequila, vodka and some other stuff. And Star Crunches.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully some of the larger boats started to see what they were causing and adjusted. Somehow I doubt that as its easy to not pay attention what is happening behind you.

From a friend who was out there, the larger boats gave no fucks about what they were causing, and were focused on what was in front of them.  It got worse when they turned around and started coming up the other way - they were not only still creating large wakes and not paying attention, and he said they were causing boats coming their way to have to swerve while hitting the wakes of the bigger boats.  He thinks that's where a lot of the capsizing was going on.

He also said there was a shitload of alcohol involved in both the large and small boats, which we knew from the photos.

Buddy was pissed.  He said he could be out with a couple of friends, with very little boat traffic around, and if they started fucking around with alcohol, some LEO would magically come nosing around, usually Travis County Sheriff's lake patrols or whatever.  He saw a shit-ton of people in boats drinking hard and doing shit that would have gotten them popped on a Memorial Day or July 4th weekend, but somehow none of them were getting nailed.