The Boat battle on Lake Travis (no politics)

JimmyJames

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Buddy was pissed.  He said he could be out with a couple of friends, with very little boat traffic around, and if they started fucking around with alcohol, some LEO would magically come nosing around, usually Travis County Sheriff's lake patrols or whatever.  He saw a shit-ton of people in boats drinking hard and doing shit that would have gotten them popped on a Memorial Day or July 4th weekend, but somehow none of them were getting nailed.

Different rules for different groups of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

From a friend who was out there, the larger boats gave no fucks about what they were causing, and were focused on what was in front of them.  It got worse when they turned around and started coming up the other way - they were not only still creating large wakes and not paying attention, and he said they were causing boats coming their way to have to swerve while hitting the wakes of the bigger boats.  He thinks that's where a lot of the capsizing was going on.

He also said there was a shitload of alcohol involved in both the large and small boats, which we knew from the photos.

Buddy was pissed.  He said he could be out with a couple of friends, with very little boat traffic around, and if they started fucking around with alcohol, some LEO would magically come nosing around, usually Travis County Sheriff's lake patrols or whatever.  He saw a shit-ton of people in boats drinking hard and doing shit that would have gotten them popped on a Memorial Day or July 4th weekend, but somehow none of them were getting nailed.

Vast right wing conspiracy, no doubt

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Do people really think Antifa has torpedoes?  Lulz. 

When the reports of multiple boats sinking started coming in, one right winger guy with a blue check mark on twitter insisted there was no way multiple boats sinking at one time could be a coincidence. That's where the antifa using missiles joke came from.

So the organizers decided on a speed of 11mph. Or literally the speed most people wakesurf at because that's the speed most boats throw the largest wake possible.

Smart folks considering the needs of others in community!

There was no fucking set speed. You could go whatever speed you wanted to. Boats of all sizes were going all different speeds.

From a friend who was out there, the larger boats gave no fucks about what they were causing, and were focused on what was in front of them.  It got worse when they turned around and started coming up the other way - they were not only still creating large wakes and not paying attention, and he said they were causing boats coming their way to have to swerve while hitting the wakes of the bigger boats.  He thinks that's where a lot of the capsizing was going on.
He also said there was a shitload of alcohol involved in both the large and small boats, which we knew from the photos.

The parade started @ 11:30, so I doubt tons of people were shit faced. The 2 boats I saw sink were going the same direction as the parade.
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/innm9z/point_of_view_of_a_boat_sinking_lake_travis_trump/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
boat going the opposite direction fucked them. didn't help that this was probably an 17-18' boat (guessing from the outboard) also read that later in the parade, that boats coming back from the front cause a fucking dangerous nightmare as boats were swerving all over the place avoiding each other. 

As I told y’all earlier, you don’t know what you are doing it out there, it ends with a sunk boat. How about you get all the people out of the bow and speed up to get the bow up, dumb asses. That boat was going the same direction as the parade. I know ocean racer doesn’t believe us, but there were big waves out there from 60ft boats plowing. Rougher than I’ve seen it in the Gulf numerous times and in the Caribbean. Here’s the after pix of that boat, taken by me. cfcc8feccb923ba8bccbc5528d9454d7.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

As I told y’all earlier, you don’t know what you are doing it out there, it ends with a sunk boat. How about you get all the people out of the bow and speed up to get the bow up, dumb asses. That boat was going the same direction as the parade. I know ocean racer doesn’t believe us, but there were big waves out there from 60ft boats plowing. Rougher than I’ve seen it in the Gulf numerous times and in the Caribbean. Here’s the after pix of that boat, taken by me. cfcc8feccb923ba8bccbc5528d9454d7.jpg

I was out there on accident and it was rough as shit but you clearly haven't been out in the gulf or Caribbean on a real rough day. That was a bullshit day going through the Gulfstream. That was people learning an expensive lesson on a lake. It was actually a fun time for me out in the shit.

I was out there on accident and it was rough as shit but you clearly haven't been out in the gulf or Caribbean on a real rough day. That was a bullshit day going through the Gulfstream. That was people learning an expensive lesson on a lake. It was actually a fun time for me out in the shit. 

JFC people I didn’t say there were 10ft swells out there, nor did I say it was a pissed off ocean, just said it was rough. I have been in the Caribbean when it was rough, sail from Anegada back to Yost, and our tow rope to the dingy snapped, that was fun getting it back with one of our guys hurling over the side.

3 minutes ago, Horns99 said:
25 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

JFC people I didn’t say there were 10ft swells out there, nor did I say it was a pissed off ocean, just said it was rough. I have been in the Caribbean when it was rough, sail from Anegada back to Yost, and our tow rope to the dingy snapped, that was fun getting it back with one of our guys hurling over the side.

You just played it up like it was the roughest you had seen, even moreso than on the gulf or in the Caribbean. That is a shit take and it is laugable. It was rough, there were idiots. Nuff said. I am a lake rat but the gulfstream crossing, Caribbean sailor in me laughs at your take and the sunken idiots. It was not even on the scale of boats should sink yet it happened. That is purely an indictment of the idiots out there, not the conditions.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This stuff always reminds me of this video - keep your sound down if you can't have NSFW audio.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I like this one. 

"Classic Dave-O!"

Lulz I've never seen those versions thanks for posting.

Also how did not even one titty pop out during that shit

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

So.. because an event started at 11:30 am on a holiday weekend at the lake on boats, you doubt tons of people were shit faced. 

1121381952_tenor(1).gif.0e69867e3fcce15d1deb1432234393b0.gif

It's like you've never even been on the lake on a holiday weekend.

Shit, most of them had probably already passed out earlier and were feeling their 2nd wind.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah, that dude lost me at "started at 11:30a, no way people were buzzed yet."  

If I'm not driving the boat that day, and we're either headed out fishing or to just hang out...I'm 4 drinks in before we even leave the marina. 

then he really lost me with this quote:

"The 2 boats I saw sink were going the same direction as the parade."

Doesn't going in the same direction as the parade, make you...I dunno and I'm just spit-balling here...part of the parade?  It wasn't like "Animal House" where some small boat with no flags bumped a big boat with flags out of the way so it could secretly take its place.  

And if those larger craft were fucking with boats that had nothing to do with the parade, that makes them even bigger assholes and even more wildly incompetent.

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, 1978horn said:

Never gets old and with the music I’m dying.

38 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Lulz I've never seen those versions thanks for posting.

Also how did not even one titty pop out during that shit

If I ever got in another bar fight, I'd want that dude in the blue shirt to be backing me up.  He takes an absolute pounding to the head, twice, and is still on his feet.  Granted, he starts throwing up and probably didn't know who he was, but still he was up and about.  

Unlike that pansy that got knocked out.

1 hour ago, Horns99 said:

Please tell me they threw the bumpers out thinking they’d help the boat float or keep it afloat. 

I'd like to think they just had them tied-off already and they just bounced over the side during the ruckus.  But yeah, I bet there's one boatful of "Vote Tommy Bahama 2020" idiots that thought the bumpers would help.  

But yeah, it usually comes down to too many people in the stern and not enough flags in the bow...according to Captain Izzard:

I'd like to think some enterprising local youths certified to dive, took to the lake bottom after the LEO's were gone and made off with a half dozen Yeti coolers, few sealed bottles of liquor, couple of nice watches and pairs of sunglasses, and one waterproof gun safe with contents still inside.  

9 hours ago, Horns99 said:

Dude, it isn't a matter of me believing you, its a matter of believing the laws of physics.

That gives me an idea, a Red River boat parade before the OU game.  Oh wait, this is terrible, this idea.  

in all seriousness, it is amazing as more reports come in about this fiasco---that nobody was hurt.  Good news is there's enough watercraft around to easily pickup folks from sinking boats.  Bad news is there's enough watercraft to bop somebody's head sending them down to their boat and nobody would know anything about it until it was all over because of the fucking mess.  That was just way too much fucking traffic for such a body of water.  whatever the multiple is of that amount of dumb times that amount of displacement, that it equalled no serious injuries or death is fucking amazing upon further review.  I know math and physics ain't exactly popular in 2020, but man---say a quick prayer of thanks next time you're out on the water.  

21 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Sounds like you've never been to the Red River Shootout

I know a few that haven't made it into the game. Either we've been there or seen people that start drinking early but they forget that they skipped breakfast and lunch isn't for a few hours. Not eating for 12+ hours and drinking can lead you to getting drunk quickly. Or so I've been told.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Indeed, the beauty of the 11A start.    Two hours prior you're plenty juiced, with a full day in front of you.  

For those four Black Saturdays under Brown, you had no choice but to drink yourself into bolivion.

Half time at the end zone club, never to return to seats. 

ifc hello darkness my old friend GIF

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Indeed, the beauty of the 11A start.    Two hours prior you're plenty juiced, with a full day in front of you.  

For those four Black Saturdays under Brown, you had no choice but to drink yourself into bolivion.

Very true.  My worst year was 2012.  Stayed up all night seeing the Black Keys in Austin that Friday night, got to bed around 2:00am.  Friend picked me up at 5:00am to make the Texas-Exes shuttle bus to Dallas for the RRS game.  I think the bus left at 5:30 and got there at 9:00am, or thereabouts.  I was still drunk when he picked me up, sobered up a bit on the bus ride up, but started drinking bloody marys around Hillsboro.  Rolled out of the bus and hit the fair hardcore as y'all did.  Can't believe we made it that long but by the time we were down 46-8...I promised to just head down to the concession stand for snacks.  Ended up waking up in the back of the bus as people were pouring in after the game was over.  Slept the whole way home.  What a shitshow those games were.  

Anyway, back to boating.  Please drink responsible.  

13 hours ago, Horns99 said:

Is that lady wearing bottoms?

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....this.  Whiskey on the way from the car to the gate, wax cup beer once you're inside, and all that by 9:00 a.m......can lead to an interesting day.

Especially considering you are still buzzed from the night before at the Next Door Bar and Green Elephant or whatever those crappy Greenville bars were called, ammirite?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This stuff always reminds me of this video - keep your sound down if you can't have NSFW audio.

Funny commentary on the above video:

Well, F me -- sorry for posting the same video somebody else did.

Edited by C-Man
DAMMIT, didn't see that somebody else posted this video a little further up. Sorry for the misfire!
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Funny commentary on the above video:

Well, F me -- sorry for posting the same video somebody else did.

I too hadn’t seen the whole video, with or without ozzyman. It is already looking stupid uncomfortable and then at 1:40 he just slams the throttle wide open. Maybe he thinks faster means smoother, just have to get her up out of the water?

On 9/8/2020 at 2:28 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Just brought back memories of the Swimming merit badge. During our water rescue section, they told us if the victim panicked and tried to drag us down, we were supposed to "knock them out." They told this to a bunch of pre-teen kids who were about as muscular as a half-plate of spaghetti. But we grimly went about our simulated rescues, ready to strike.

Lifesaving merit badge here.  I was about 13, weighing maybe 120, and had to "rescue" a 16-17 year old dude that was a full grown 175 probably.  He damn near beat the shit out of me.  I got revenge though, because we had to pull them onto the dock to complete the rescue, and when I did so, I accidentally dragged his chest and abdomen hard over the edge of the dock.

Met the guy again during fraternity rush five years later.

• Hook 'Em 1