2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

because in 2 days the new season starts

Spoiler

2020-21 FedExCup Regular Season (50 events)

DATE   TOURNAMENT GOLF COURSE(S) LOCATION  
September 7-13 Safeway Open Silverado Resort and Spa (North Course) Napa, California
  14-20 U.S. Open Championship Winged Foot Golf Club Mamaroneck, New York
  21-27 Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship Puntacana Resort & Club (Corales Golf Course) Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
October 28-4 Sanderson Farms Championship Country Club of Jackson Jackson, Mississippi
  5-11 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open TPC Summerlin Las Vegas, Nevada
  12-18 THE CJ CUP @ SHADOW CREEK Shadow Creek Golf Course Las Vegas, Nevada
  19-25 ZOZO CHAMPIONSHIP @ SHERWOOD Sherwood Country Club  Thousand Oaks, California
November 26-1 Bermuda Championship Port Royal Golf Course Southampton, Bermuda
  2-8 Houston Open Memorial Park Golf Course  Houston, Texas
  9-15 Masters Tournament Augusta National Golf Club Augusta, Georgia
  16-22 The RSM Classic Sea Island Resort (*Seaside Course, Plantation Course) St. Simons Island, Georgia
  23-29 OFF    
December 30-6 Mayakoba Golf Classic El Camaleón Golf Club at the Mayakoba Resort Playa del Carmen, Mexico
    BREAK    
January 4-10 Sentry Tournament of Champions Kapalua Resort (The Plantation Course) Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii
  11-17 Sony Open in Hawaii Waialae Country Club Honolulu, Hawaii
  18-24 The American Express PGA WEST (*Stadium Course, Nicklaus Tournament Course); La Quinta Country Club La Quinta, California
  25-31 Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines Golf Course (*South Course, North Course) San Diego, California
February 1-7 Waste Management Phoenix Open TPC Scottsdale (Stadium Course) Scottsdale, Arizona
  8-14 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am *Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass Hill Golf Course, Monterey Peninsula Country Club (Shore Course) Pebble Beach, California
  15-21 The Genesis Invitational The Riviera Country Club Pacific Palisades, California
  22-28 World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship  Club de Golf Chapultepec Mexico City, Mexico
  22-28 Puerto Rico Open Grand Reserve Country Club Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
March 1-7 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard Bay Hill Club & Lodge Orlando, Florida
  8-14 THE PLAYERS Championship TPC Sawgrass (THE PLAYERS Stadium Course) Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
  15-21 The Honda Classic PGA National Resort & Spa (The Champion Course) Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
  22-28 World Golf Championships-Dell Technologies Match Play Austin Country Club Austin, Texas
  22-28 Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship Puntacana Resort & Club (Corales Golf Course) Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
April 29-4 Valero Texas Open  TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) San Antonio, Texas
  5-11 Masters Tournament Augusta National Golf Club Augusta, Georgia
  12-18 RBC Heritage Harbour Town Golf Links Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
  19-25 Zurich Classic of New Orleans TPC Louisiana New Orleans, Louisiana
May 26-2 Valspar Championship Innisbrook, a Salamander Resort (Copperhead Course) Palm Harbor, Florida
  3-9 Wells Fargo Championship Quail Hollow Club Charlotte, North Carolina
  10-16 AT&T Byron Nelson TPC Craig Ranch McKinney, Texas
  17-23 PGA Championship The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort Kiawah Island, South Carolina
  24-30 Charles Schwab Challenge Colonial Country Club  Fort Worth, Texas
June 31-6 the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Muirfield Village Golf Club Dublin, Ohio
  7-13 RBC Canadian Open  St. George's Golf and Country Club Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
  14-20 U.S. Open Championship Torrey Pines Golf Course (South Course) San Diego, California
  21-27 Travelers Championship TPC River Highlands Cromwell, Connecticut
July 28-4 Rocket Mortgage Classic Detroit Golf Club Detroit, Michigan
  5-11 John Deere Classic TPC Deere Run Silvis, Illinois
  12-18 The Open Championship Royal St. George's Golf Club Sandwich, Kent, England
  12-18 Barbasol Championship Keene Trace Golf Club (Champions Trace) Nicholasville, Kentucky
  19-25 3M Open TPC Twin Cities Blaine, Minnesota
August 26-1 OFF (Men's Olympic Golf) Kasumigaseki Country Club Saitama, Kantō, Japan
  2-8 World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational TPC Southwind Memphis, Tennessee
  2-8 Barracuda Championship Old Greenwood Golf Course Truckee, California
  9-15 Wyndham Championship Sedgefield Country Club Greensboro, North Carolina
  16-22 THE NORTHERN TRUST Liberty National Golf Club Jersey City, New Jersey
  23-29 BMW Championship Caves Valley Golf Club Owings Mills, Maryland
September 30-5 TOUR Championship  East Lake Golf Club Atlanta, Georgia

29 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Looking at the field in Napa, and I'm kind of surprised to see Jordan and Phil in the field. 
Must want to knock some rust off/work on their game before heading to Winged Foot next week, and playing against a fairly weak field (nobody in it from East Lake - as I glanced at the list)

Maybe their wives just wanted to get their drink on.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’d be a really stupid shot for me to take because I was taught to do everything with my left shoulder and left arm (I’m right handed). I don’t even think about my right hand/shoulder. 

I’ll bet he was getting too handsy on his chips and slightly pulling chips and/or hitting them too cleanly and flying the hole. This is why he’s doing the one hander. It’s something a pro giving you lessons might have you do 10 times as a practice tool. 

It’s also a good way to chip when you’re lying 9 on the par 4 18th, need to get it up and down to break 100, and are so disgusted with yourself that you don’t give enough of a fuck about any of that to be bothered to put your beer down.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^^

was just coming here to post this.  had no idea.  just saw Stricker on the Golf Channel.  oh well, we'll just choke it away next year, i'm sure

Bryson is still gonna be a bad teammate for someone.  hopefully Morikawa makes the team.  he's in good shape, but a ways to go.

for the next team, the top 6 qualify on points.  last time, it was top 8.  so Stricker will have 6 captain's picks.  top 6 today are:

1.  DJ

2.  Bryson

3. Morikawa

4.  Koepka

5.  JT

6.  Webb

next 6 are:  Xander, Fat Pat, Finau, Berger, Wolff, and Gary Woodland.

Is there a less exciting PGA tour stop then the week after a major, out of the country, during a pandemic?
Must be one of the weakest fields of any tour stop.
The only hype I'm reading about is for Will Zalatoris, a Korn Ferry callup who finished T6 at Winged Foot last week
Oh well, better than no golf, but I'm certain I'll be watching football this weekend

On 10/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, TonyTexas said:

Memorial Park is a decent recreational public course with some history. The pros are going to destroy it though. 

Have you played it since Jim Crane's Astros Foundation renovated it?  Tom Doak was the architect and it now plays to 7,300 yards.  Here is an excerpt from The Golf Channel's website:  “This course is going to make the Tour players really think about how they approach every hole,” said Butch Harmon, who played the old Memorial Park during his 16-year stint as a teaching pro in Houston and saw the redesign for the first time Tuesday. “You just can’t bomb it on every hole there.”

The pros may still destroy it, but it's now much more than a decent recreational public course.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Have you played it since Jim Crane's Astros Foundation renovated it?  Tom Doak was the architect and it now plays to 7,300 yards.  Here is an excerpt from The Golf Channel's website:  “This course is going to make the Tour players really think about how they approach every hole,” said Butch Harmon, who played the old Memorial Park during his 16-year stint as a teaching pro in Houston and saw the redesign for the first time Tuesday. “You just can’t bomb it on every hole there.”

The pros may still destroy it, but it's now much more than a decent recreational public course.

Oh shit. Bryson might have to take his 8 iron out of the bag.

I think Bryson is a douche, but if I separate the person from his approach to golf, my opinion changes. Golf club tech, golf ball tech has been improving for years and as long as you play within the regulations, who gives a fuck if figure out a way to lap the field. Would lulz if he starts averaging 350 yds or some shit. That being said I have no idea behind the physics, and perhaps the incremental gains as a result of extending the driver shaft another 2.5 inches would only be a few percent. 

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not sure when he blows up today - but Jordan is doing Jordan things, -2 after 4 holes, including a 60 footer for birdie,
Looking at the shot summary that was a chip in not a putt - still a Jordan thing

Had a triple on the card as well, you were right. He always just seems to have a hole or 2 each round where he explodes. It's gotta be excruciating.

2 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Phil skips Shadow Creek to avoid a "letdown."  "Even if I beat all 78 guys, I made so much more money the last time I played it would be a letdown."  That's pretty gd funny.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/phil-mickelson-skipped-shadow-creek-event-avoid-letdown

classic FIGJAM