2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wish I could do that. Been having a hard time getting it past 380 off the tee lately. Still 370 on most holes. Maybe 350, 360 if it's uphill. 

So I’ve played Kapalua, and there are several elevated tees that add distance. But that drive is just stupid long.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:18 PM, AustinMT said:

So I’ve played Kapalua, and there are several elevated tees that add distance. But that drive is just stupid long.

It's a long ball but DJ came about 3 inches from making an ace there three years ago. I think tiger knocked it on back in the day there as well. 

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm seeing reports that JT said a homophobic slur yesterday on the 10th hole; and he apologized.... But they don't tell what was his actual comment.

So what the fuck did he say?

Said faggot. 

Which was directed at, himself? The ball? Idk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

he's beyond butch harmon help, he needs to reach out to mac ogrady

all jokes aside, he needs to let lee trevino get his head straight. the talent is there but his mind is gone 

eh. IMO, he's fine if Harmon gets him. he might need some mental work but I think its more about his swing.  He rode some crazy putting and when that went south a bit the rest of his game couldn't keep up.

but sure a few rounds with Lee at Tenison Park might clear the head along with some beers after.

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

A little confidence will do wonders for him. Cross handed putters will forever be streaky, he had an extended putting period like no other.

Wait, wait, wait - he only putted cross handed on shorter putts (like inside 10'), and he also looked at the hole not the ball on those. Don't get me wrong I love(d) to watch him play, but he was always a little quirky and he had trouble getting to the trigger point to start his swing. Not as bad a Sergio was for a while, but he it was always there, at least on tour.
Also, it wasn't just his putting, his approach shots in 2015 was outstanding (ranking 1st from the rough - which is good with his driving tendencies.  And his 

14 hours ago, dcar00 said:

eh. IMO, he's fine if Harmon gets him. he might need some mental work but I think its more about his swing.  He rode some crazy putting and when that went south a bit the rest of his game couldn't keep up.

but sure a few rounds with Lee at Tenison Park might clear the head along with some beers after.

The "it was a crazy hot putter" take is just lazy. He's considered (still) one of the best wedge players on tour. His putting inside 6' has never been good, but he makes more than his share outside of 20', which gains more strokes on the field. But now, as it's always been, the issue is his driver. A two way miss leads to too many crooked numbers. Look at his '19 and '20 birdie stats - he's making PLENTY of good numbers, he's just making way more bad numbers than anyone else, because when the driver goes sideways, it goes into places even ShotLink can't reach. Even AVERAGE driving puts him back in the winners circle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

The "it was a crazy hot putter" take is just lazy. He's considered (still) one of the best wedge players on tour. His putting inside 6' has never been good, but he makes more than his share outside of 20', which gains more strokes on the field. But now, as it's always been, the issue is his driver. A two way miss leads to too many crooked numbers. Look at his '19 and '20 birdie stats - he's making PLENTY of good numbers, he's just making way more bad numbers than anyone else, because when the driver goes sideways, it goes into places even ShotLink can't reach. Even AVERAGE driving puts him back in the winners circle.

Dude... his entire game save his chipping is a fucking mess. He needs to do more than simply straighten out his driver (although that would be a good start). He was straight up one of the worst players on tour last year. 

Screenshot_20210111-124759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.841a8030b60c19e7561e63fd1da2fb79.jpg

Just now, ztejas said:

Dude... his entire game save his chipping is a fucking mess. He needs to do more than simply straighten out his driver (although that would be a good start). He was straight up one of the worst players on tour last year. 

Screenshot_20210111-124759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.841a8030b60c19e7561e63fd1da2fb79.jpg

Not disagreeing that the entirety of the year was a mess; what I'm saying is that his extreme highs weren't solely because he makes more putts outside of 20'. His iron and wedge play were MASSIVE strengths. 

I believe that the '20 stats are so bad because he's been chasing something, trying to fix the driver, and it's infected the rest of the bag. Given how many birdies he was making as recently as '19 and before the stop in '20, that's reasonable.

4 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I believe that the '20 stats are so bad because he's been chasing something, trying to fix the driver, and it's infected the rest of the bag. Given how many birdies he was making as recently as '19 and before the stop in '20, that's reasonable.

You might be right. I just think whatever he needs to do he's going to have an uphill battle and one fix won't get him back to winning overnight. I think the question right now is: If his off the tee game improves (and holy shit that's a big if), how much will his approach game and putting improve as a result? If those two things really come around for him then he could be a top 20 player. If they only improve marginally then he is probably still a middling performer. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You might be right. I just think whatever he needs to do he's going to have an uphill battle and one fix won't get him back to winning overnight. I think the question right now is: If his off the tee game improves (and holy shit that's a big if), how much will his approach game and putting improve as a result? If those two things really come around for him then he could be a top 20 player. If they only improve marginally then he is probably still a middling performer. 

Agree, that's the $64k question. What we do know is that his mental game is as strong as, or better than, anyone. Even a marginal improvement in ball striking puts him back in a place where he can will himself around a golf course, especially friendly places like Colonial, Augusta, Harbor Town.

5 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Agree, that's the $64k question. What we do know is that his mental game is as strong as, or better than, anyone. Even a marginal improvement in ball striking puts him back in a place where he can will himself around a golf course, especially friendly places like Colonial, Augusta, Harbor Town.

I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with you here, cap.

1 minute ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with you here, cap.

He rides the positive momentum just as strongly as he rides the negative ... I know he's a whiny bitch, but that's the same guy who made the best bogey ever recorded, and then went -5 thru his next 4 holes to win the British, and who immediately birdied 13 and 15 at Augusta after #12 happened in '16. Same guy. Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup record. He was Wolvlandkawa before it was popular. 

4 hours ago, capnamerca said:

its not lazy.  his putting and yes his wedge game to an extent covered for his driver which, I agree, has always been average accuracy.  his putter carried him to those enormous heights those 2 years and driver was slightly above average then.

the putter started failing but he kept it together somewhat until the driver fell off the cliff.

I think he was chasing distance on the driver and his swing, with its known flaws, couldn't stand up.  then I do agree the mental thing got out of control and I believe that started to infect his iron play.

I'm not a complete stat geek but that's my opinion. If he is really retooling with Harmon and is committed I think he can get it back but it will take some time.

Edit: and by putter failing I mean becoming human.

Edited by dcar00

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

its not lazy.  his putting and yes his wedge game to an extent covered for his driver which, I agree, has always been average accuracy.  his putter carried him to those enormous heights those 2 years and driver was slightly above average then.

the putter started failing but he kept it together somewhat until the driver fell off the cliff.

I think he was chasing distance on the driver and his swing, with its known flaws, couldn't stand up.  then I do agree the mental thing got out of control and I believe that started to infect his iron play.

I'm not a complete stat geek but that's my opinion. If he is really retooling with Harmon and is committed I think he can get it back but it will take some time.

Edit: and by putter failing I mean becoming human.

I dug into the data, and we're both right :). In '15, he gained more strokes on Approach vs. Putting, and ranked in the top 15 in SG Tee, Approach, Around-the-Green, Putting, and was 2nd in SG:overall. In '16, his entire SG: Tee-to-Green only barely eclipsed his SG: Putting. In '16, his putting flat-out carried him. In '15, he was the most complete player on tour.

God I miss those days. C'mon Jordan.

2 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I dug into the data, and we're both right :). In '15, he gained more strokes on Approach vs. Putting, and ranked in the top 15 in SG Tee, Approach, Around-the-Green, Putting, and was 2nd in SG:overall. In '16, his entire SG: Tee-to-Green only barely eclipsed his SG: Putting. In '16, his putting flat-out carried him. In '15, he was the most complete player on tour.

God I miss those days. C'mon Jordan.

Wow. 2017 he was 48th in SG:putting, but 2nd in Approach and 8th in Around the Green. Despite his putting being SO bad, he was 2nd overall in SG. That's some SICK ball striking. You're right, if he's even average in all categories, he's a top-15 player.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, tx 3 putt said:

all jokes aside, he needs to let lee trevino get his head straight. the talent is there but his mind is gone 

Lee needs to explain to him to just hit a power fade, eliminate the both was miss and the double cross and watch the ugly numbers disappear

Lee was right, you can talk to a fade but a hook just won't listen

The PGA Tour announced Thursday that the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is suspending its traditional amateur competition for 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The professional portion of the tournament, featuring a 156-player field, will continue as scheduled, beginning play on Feb. 11. However, without the amateur component, the tournament will be held on just two courses rather than its historical three-venue rotation, with Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill serving as hosts and Monterey Peninsula Country Club sidelined for this year’s competition.

Pebble Beach had already announced there would be no spectators at the 2021 tournament.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The PGA Tour announced Thursday that the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is suspending its traditional amateur competition for 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The professional portion of the tournament, featuring a 156-player field, will continue as scheduled, beginning play on Feb. 11. However, without the amateur component, the tournament will be held on just two courses rather than its historical three-venue rotation, with Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill serving as hosts and Monterey Peninsula Country Club sidelined for this year’s competition.

Pebble Beach had already announced there would be no spectators at the 2021 tournament.

Damn. I was looking forward to the Homa/Aaron Rogers group (seriously).

SAO PAULO — Brazil's federal police arrested Argentine golfer Ángel Cabrera on Thursday for extradition to his homeland to face charges for several crimes allegedly committed from 2016 to last year, two officers said.

Cabrera, who has won both the Masters and U.S. Open, was on Interpol's red code list.

Police said in a statement that the arrest was made in an upper class area of Rio de Janeiro, without announcing the suspect's name. It described him only as a 51-year-old Argentine.

Two federal police officers based in Rio separately confirmed to The Associated Press that Cabrera was the man arrested. Both agreed to give the information only if granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the topic publicly.

The police statement said the arrest was authorized by Brazil's top court and the man would be held until his extradition to Argentina. Officials in Argentina have charged the suspect with assault, theft, illegal intimidation and repeated disrespect to authorities, the statement said.

Argentine media reported earlier in January that Cabrera's former wife, Silva Rivadero, had filed two charges against the golfer. The reports also said that Cecilia Torres, another former partner, claimed Cabrera had punched her, threatened her and attempted to run her over with his car in 2016.

Cabrera is the most accomplished golfer from South America. He won the U.S. Open at Oakmont in 2007 by one shot over Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk. He won the Masters in a playoff in 2009 and lost in a playoff at the Masters in 2013 to Adam Scott.

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that was a lot of words to say he was trying to chase distance and it fucked up the rest of his bag.  

if this, he's going on year 4 of 'reworking' / 'readjusting' his swing. this shit is crazy 

i just want to see him win a pga and become a legend. the 6th head on the mount Rushmore of grand slam 

Edited by tx 3 putt

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if this, he's going on year 4 of 'reworking' / 'readjusting' his swing. this shit is crazy 

i just want to see him win a pga and become a legend. the 6th head on the mount Rushmore of grand slam 

I don't think he has tried to rework anything until recently. 2018-2020 was him thinking it was just a tweak or 2 here and there.

This has to be the most "faggot" thing to ever happen from an incident like this. Maybe he should have said faget. LOL.

Who hasn't called themselves this on the golf course? Stupid shit this is.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/21/justin-thomas-pga-tour-golf-training-program-anti-gay-slur-on-course/

Edited by Longhornstampede
because I left something misspelled..... like a faget
  • Like 1