2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

McKinney is north of the cell producing the tornado warning. There were tornado-like winds around UP 20 minutes ago that should be in Garland and Richardson now. It’s moving in typical NE fashion but will be well south of McKinney. Looking at radar I would expect this delay to last awhile though. 

We’ve gotten 4.5 inches of rain today in Bluffview, 2.5 of that coming from around 1-2:30 or so. Sunny now. Pulled these pics from Park Cities off Facebook:

5c9a3dbfc8e9bce7f49ad6a0816365f8.jpg

Goar Park

8501968fcb0b4f656689e453cf58bb21.jpg

Just came across this so SIAP.

This guy is a caddy on the PGA Tour names Geno Bonnalie. He caddy's for a kind of middle of the pack player named Joel Dahman. He doesn’t make a ton of money so he always stays in cheap places when they are at a tour event.

He just started making video blogs reviewing the motels he stays at. Just hilarious

As you can see here, possible blood splatter, body drag, bleach carpet...lmao
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, LTtxfan said:

5 things I learned from looking inside the bags of golf’s elite amateurs

BY: JONATHAN WALL MAY 15, 2021

UTbags-1856-Wall.jpg Pierceson Coody (left) and Cole Hammer teed it up at the AT&T Byron Nelson after helping the U.S. win the Walker Cup.

JONATHAN WALL

Mere hours after they helped the U.S. clinch a third-straight Walker Cup title, University of Texas standouts Cole Hammer and Pierceson Coody made the trip back home to the Lone Star State to prep for the AT&T Byron Nelson. While GOLF.com’s gear team is used to highlighting the equipment used by the best professionals in the world, we figured it was a good week to switch gears and look at the tools used by two of the game’s elite amateurs.

Here are 5 things we learned from peeking inside their bags.

1. Simple tools

Coody1-1856-Wall.jpg You don’t need high-tech training aids to see noticeable improvements on the course. Both Coody (pictured) and Hammer sported simple alignment sticks that can be had for less than $20. Just remember to pick up two sticks so you don’t wind up using them incorrectly.

The putting arc training aid (pictured on the right side of Coody’s bag) helps groove your stroke over time and is relatively inexpensive at less than $40. Combined, that’s about what you’d spend on 15 premium golf balls for two reliable training aids. We’ll let you decide which purchase is more beneficial for your game in the long run.

2. Tour goodies 

Hammer1-1856-Wall.jpg One of the perks of teeing it up in a Tour event is getting to try out the latest gear — for gratis. Resting next to Coody’s bag was a new Sik putter featuring LAGP’s popular composite shaft and a JumboMax grip. Hammer was toting around fresh wedges and a new Ping G425 Max 5-wood with a Mitsubishi Diamana BF shaft. Only this wasn’t just any BF shaft. The green version happens to be from Tony Finau’s personal stock (notice the TF logo below the grip).

This is once again a friendly reminder that it’s nice to be an elite amateur teeing it up in a Tour event.

3. Mixing it up

Coody2-1856-Wall.jpg Blended iron sets remain a popular options in the professional ranks for player who want to reap the benefits of forgiveness and ball speed at the top of the set but don’t necessarily want to sacrifice workability and control in the mid and short irons. Both Hammer and Coody had similar split sets with at least three different models. Coody opted for a TaylorMade P790 3-iron and P7MC 4-iron before transitioning into a traditional set of P7MB blades.

Hammer2-1856-Wall.jpg Hammer was one of the only players in the field this week carrying a graphite-shafted Ping i210 2-iron. With high lofted fairway wood usage on the rise, Hammer still sees the benefits of using a game-improvement long iron — albeit a very forgiving, high launching option. The rest of his setup consists of i210 (3-4) and iBlade (5-PW) with burnt orange (Texas’ school colors) paint fill around the iron numbers.

4. Plenty of options 

Hammer3-1856-Wall.jpg Many golfers are told to play the same shafts in their irons to keep the feel and weight consistent. It’s a tried-and-true gear recipe that continues to work for a large majority of golfers. While that isn’t a bad idea, there’s nothing wrong with trying out different flexes and weights if you’re a better player.

As highlighted in the previous note, Hammer employs a Graphite Design AD DI 95X Hybrid shaft (99 grams raw) in his 2-iron, but immediately transitions into True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 X100 steel (120 grams) in the 3- and 4-iron and Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 (130 grams) in the 5-iron through pitching wedge.

It’s clear from Hammer’s setup that he’s been busy testing to find the ideal launch and spin characteristics for every club in the bag. In his case, he’s better off using three different shaft models throughout the iron setup. Is it unconventional? No doubt. But it works.

If you’re going to test out different shafts for your iron set, make sure you get a certified club fitter involved to ensure the swing weights stay consistent.

5. Traditionalists

DSC_0046-scaled.jpg As mallet usage continues to rise, Hammer and Coody continue to keep it traditional. Both were wielding Anser-style blades on the practice green, including a relatively new Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 for Hammer. Like a good pair of blue jeans, classic blades will never go out of style.

https://golf.com/gear/5-things-i-learned-elite-amateurs/

Want to overhaul your own bag for 2021? Visit the expert fitters at our affiliate company,  True Spec Golf.   For more on the latest gear news and information, make sure to check out our recent Fully Equipped podcast on Spotify 

that's a BAD ASS shaft !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Jordan and Phil in the same group might inspire me to get in the car on Friday, watch some golf, and have dinner at Joe T’s.

Be sure to order a pitcher of the brown water margaritas... don't drive afterwards... 😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mileslong said:

Just came across this so SIAP.

This guy is a caddy on the PGA Tour names Geno Bonnalie. He caddy's for a kind of middle of the pack player named Joel Dahman. He doesn’t make a ton of money so he always stays in cheap places when they are at a tour event.

He just started making video blogs reviewing the motels he stays at. Just hilarious

As you can see here, possible blood splatter, body drag, bleach carpet...lmao

Geno is one of the best follows on Twitter. Played with him before. He's a member at a little club in Idaho that I have friends at and make the 3 hour round trip to play a couple times a month because they have so much fucking fun down there. 

And geno is a stick. 

• Like 1

Koepka's and Bryson's social media engagement is skyrocketing.  they could be in line for some of that big bonus money.

what if this was all an orchestrated work to get publicity and get some of that $$$?

i don't doubt that they're not buddies. but i doubt they despise each other.  they know what they're doing.  they're playing up the rivalry.  this is good for golf.

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

what if this was all an orchestrated work to get publicity and get some of that $$$?

If so , they are playing the long game. This started percolating at least 30 months ago. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/brooks-koepka-bryson-dechambeau-rivalry-beef-history-timeline-pga-tour-golf/amp

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

63 (-7) Great start for Jordan on a track he knows well.  Grouped with Phil and bested him by 10. 

I’m a little surprised Phil is playing this week.  If I were him I would be playing Torrey Pines every day prior to the US Open.

8 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Grouped with Phil and bested him by 10. 

Which isn't some crazy happening that should surprise anybody.

Phil winning the PGA was fucking insane. Not only is he 50 his form has been poor for almost a year. The golf he played today is basically where his game is right now. It wasn't like Tiger at the 2019 Masters or Jack at 46 or Watson at 54 almost winning the British. 

Phil winning the Masters would have been much less crazy. But beating the toughest field in golf at a brutal venue by PGA standards at 50 is unbelievable.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never wins on tour again. Why some people think he's just going to start tearing it up now I have no idea. He'll probably miss the cut at Torrey Pines.

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m pretty certain BCD is detested on tour. He’s a cut above Reed and that’s it. 

He's not detested he's just polarizing. Plenty of guys on tour have defended what he's doing and/or spoke highly of him. 

I'm sure playing with him is annoying but I've never got the vibe that other golfers hate him. 

• Hook 'Em 1