2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah the cynic in me doesn't really care if they charge him with anything or not, because it's Tiger Woods so what does it actually matter...

But to say they aren't/can't press any charges because it was an accident is ridiculous. If he was DUI he was DUI. It doesn't matter what happened to him or the car or whether he hit anything or not. It's illegal in itself and he could have easily hit and killed or injured someone else. 

California man. They have that whole celebrity exception thing mostly. I had a friend who was in a car accident similar to Tiger’s and had a somewhat similar type injury to her leg. That was 15 years ago and she had the best care you can get and still limps. Cannot ride a horse or do a whole lot of activities like jogging etc... sad stuff. It would be incredible if Tiger can play golf after this. Talk about an amazing comeback if he is able to play competitively again. Just sad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There still has to be probable cause to get a warrant for blood or piss. If the cop saw no signs of impairment then he couldn't and wouldn't get one. 

There is a video of him on tmz that shows him about 5 miles before the accident. Doesn't seem to be speeding and isn't swerving. 

Could have been fucked up on pain pills,  could have dropped his phone going too fast on a downhill stretch on an unfamiliar road.

Once he hit the curb on that median it was over. There is no way his front end survived that allowing him to steer or do anything else.  He was just along for the roller coaster ride after that. 

Hope he gets better and glad no one else was hurt. 

I’ve flipped a car before going much faster than Tiger (presumably) was and with much less technology on my side (90’s). Me and my passenger both walked away from it a little shaken up, but otherwise ok.    When we hit the curb on the median is indeed when it was over.  Thankfully God, luck, or whatever else was on our side.

16 hours ago, pops said:

There still has to be probable cause to get a warrant for blood or piss. If the cop saw no signs of impairment then he couldn't and wouldn't get one. 

There is a video of him on tmz that shows him about 5 miles before the accident. Doesn't seem to be speeding and isn't swerving. 

Could have been fucked up on pain pills,  could have dropped his phone going too fast on a downhill stretch on an unfamiliar road.

Once he hit the curb on that median it was over. There is no way his front end survived that allowing him to steer or do anything else.  He was just along for the roller coaster ride after that. 

Hope he gets better and glad no one else was hurt. 

hahahahahahaha

you say that like cops don't invent probable cause all the time to get a warrant for blood. 

he's getting a pass because he's tiger woods. that's you or me, and they have our blood before we are conscious.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve flipped a car before going much faster than Tiger (presumably) was and with much less technology on my side (90’s). Me and my passenger both walked away from it a little shaken up, but otherwise ok.    When we hit the curb on the median is indeed when it was over.  Thankfully God, luck, or whatever else was on our side.

It's the rocky ravines in Cali that make the difference. Go off the road in a lot of spots, even slightly, and you are going for a ride.

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

What up with Wolff? Dude shot 83 today. For a while it looked like he wasn't breaking 90.

He withdrew again. Apparently dealing with a hand injury. He checked out pretty early in the round. Had a quad and a triple on the card. 

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

I haven't seen Motikawa's girlfriend yet, is she there? Dude is in the lead, why are they not showing her? 

Not sure if sarcastic or not as I haven't been watching but I was coming here to post that I kind of hope he wins so I can post more pics of his gf.

What a round by Rory. Maybe Morikawa comes back a bit to give us an interesting Sunday. 

On 2/24/2021 at 3:40 AM, Nicole44 said:

So he also caused another accident? Let’s here from Tiger fans about he isn’t on drugs?

Caused another accident? Besides the one he was involved in? Tell us about that one since it hasn't been reported anywhere. Or did you just pull that "info"out  of your snatch?

Caused another accident? Besides the one he was involved in? Tell us about that one since it hasn't been reported anywhere. Or did you just pull that "info"out  of your snatch?

Apparently another unrelated accident happened shortly after Tiger’s incident and it was speculated that someone was driving by and distracted by the Tiger scene and got into a wreck. So whatever you want to call that. I wouldn’t say Tiger caused it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Apparently another unrelated accident happened shortly after Tiger’s incident and it was speculated that someone was driving by and distracted by the Tiger scene and got into a wreck. So whatever you want to call that. I wouldn’t say Tiger caused it.

So she really did pull that speculation out of some hole.... Even if they were rubbernecking, how is it tiger's fault. That wreck was caused by an idiot not paying attention to traffic and gawking

Edited by Longhornstampede

34 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

Ha ha! There are reports that he nearly collided with a director’s car when he was leaving the resort right before the crash. His driving history is not great. And the smart money is that his alleged drug use/addiction contributed to this but we will never know as police didn’t feel a blood test was necessary even though to most observers with a brain watching his interview with Nantz the day before the crash he looked bloated fried and completely bombed. I was typing very fast that day from my phone and listening to the radio so I am sure my post made no sense. It still doesn’t. 

doesn’t mean you have to be such a wanker about it. Lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is interesting at the very least. At least as it regards to speed. They said that was a huge factor but if he had been going much faster than the 45 mph speed limit—say above 60 or 80 they said he’d likely be dead. I don’t know if he fell asleep behind the wheel which is what the three experts quoted in this article think happened BUT he could have been distracted...or been on his phone or something. It’s still interesting and yet the police are like “nothing to see here. High rate of speed on a road that has seen many accidents.” Even though they have no clue or have even received the information from the black box in his car or even attempted a reconstruction or got a SW for the blood tests if hospital drew blood—cops didn’t request it initially.

I wouldn’t wish his injuries on anyone. I hope he makes a full recovery and it’s truly sad to think his career may be over. That sucks. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6856549002

“To me, this is like a classic case of falling asleep behind the wheel, because the road curves and his vehicle goes straight,” said Jonathan Cherney, a consultant who provides car accident analysis as an expert witness in court cases. Cherney, a former police detective, examined the Woods’ crash site in person since the accident on Tuesday.

“It’s a drift off the road, almost like he was either unconscious, suffering from a medical episode or fell asleep and didn’t wake up until he was off the road and that’s where the brake application came in,” Cherney said.

26 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Ha ha! There are reports that he nearly collided with a director’s car when he was leaving the resort right before the crash. His driving history is not great. And the smart money is that his alleged drug use/addiction contributed to this but we will never know as police didn’t feel a blood test was necessary even though to most observers with a brain watching his interview with Nantz the day before the crash he looked bloated fried and completely bombed. I was typing very fast that day from my phone and listening to the radio so I am sure my post made no sense. It still doesn’t. 

doesn’t mean you have to be such a wanker about it. Lol.

You'll always be my night crew girl,  but the interview with nantz two days before is in this thread in its entirety. There are screenshots that don't look great,  but I watched it live and didn't think he was fucked up. The video of him driving a few minutes before he wrecked doesn't seem like he's fucked up. The cop on the scene didn't think he was fucked up (although I know adrenaline can sober you up pretty quick).

I'm no tiger defender. He may still be battling addiction. He may have been high as a kite. Or it may have just been a freak accident. Like I said,  glad he didn't hurt anyone else and hope he recovers. Golf is just better with him. And yeah,  the newbie is a Wanker 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, pops said:

The numbers fired at this course are silly. Rating is 78 and slope is 155. Your typical scratch golfer would shoot +24 over 4 rounds and still be a scratch. Unreal. 

Given Jack's influence and the positive results/reactions, I wonder if this tourney makes it back to Mexico... then again, Jack probably designed the course in Mexico.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Given Jack's influence and the positive results/reactions, I wonder if this tourney makes it back to Mexico... then again, Jack probably designed the course in Mexico.

I hope they keep it there. It was a good watch

2 hours ago, pops said:

The numbers fired at this course are silly. Rating is 78 and slope is 155. Your typical scratch golfer would shoot +24 over 4 rounds and still be a scratch. Unreal. 

it is nuts that it seems like it takes at least 15 under to win any generic tour event these days but I guess with par 5's basically being par 4's that's 16 potential strokes right there.  they are essentially playing a par 68 every week.  they may need to make par 5's 700 yards.

I would venture a guess that many of the tour stops out there don't have room for four 700+ yard par 5's and if they did, it would take a very significant amount of money to achieve. And given that you and I likely never play at those tees, they have to drop a substantial amount of money to lengthen a course for just 4 rounds per year.

Either we get on board with -15 not even winning tournaments, or start neutering equipment, at least at the professional level.  The NLU guys had an excellent podcast talking about how lengthening golf courses to solve the distance issues is very unsustainable and will make many courses around the world obsolete. 

Adding length isn't the answer. All you do then is shrink the pool of potential winners on tour. 

I dont see what the big deal is with 15 under winning. No one seems to care that basketball or football today isn't even close to the same game that it was 20 years ago let alone 50. 

I'm on the fence about bifurcation of the rules for pros and ams. I dont think anything should be done to make the game more difficult for your typical 20 handicap.

I'm just not sure how I feel about rolling back the ball or capping  drivers or changing grooves for pros.  Would that change the world rankings at all or would they just win at 6 under instead of 18?  I really don't know. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

Adding length isn't the answer. All you do then is shrink the pool of potential winners on tour. 

I dont see what the big deal is with 15 under winning. No one seems to care that basketball or football today isn't even close to the same game that it was 20 years ago let alone 50. 

I'm on the fence about bifurcation of the rules for pros and ams. I dont think anything should be done to make the game more difficult for your typical 20 handicap.

I'm just not sure how I feel about rolling back the ball or capping  drivers or changing grooves for pros.  Would that change the world rankings at all or would they just win at 6 under instead of 18?  I really don't know. 

I just like to see them struggle, hit a few bad shots, get into trouble, sweat, and have to improvise like on a tough windy day at a Scottish or Irish or US Open course. It's more fun to watch than a driver, wedge, putt putt contest.

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Either we get on board with -15 not even winning tournaments, or start neutering equipment, at least at the professional level.  The NLU guys had an excellent podcast talking about how lengthening golf courses to solve the distance issues is very unsustainable and will make many courses around the world obsolete. 

For the PGA, just change some shorter Par 5's to Par 4's.  And change some of these short Par 4's to Par 3's.

Then more PGA courses would be Par 70's or even Par 68's 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

For the PGA, just change some shorter Par 5's to Par 4's.  And change some of these short Par 4's to Par 3's.

Plant more trees and shrubs.... lots of them.... and stop mowing here and there.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Fuck it,  just make everything on tour a par 1 then like 200 over wins!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

yall realize that the person who won the tournament is nowhere near the longest player on tour, right?

True but bigger picture, he would have been 30 yards shorter 15 years ago. Also, nearly half of the top 15 in the world are top 35 in driving distance too. Distance matters.

I don't like the idea of planting more stuff. This game is already hard for the rest of us and unapproachable for many. And spec'ing a course out (taller rough, faster greens, shaved fringe) - I don't know the number, but I imagine this isn't cheap to do for a tournament which is probably why only the majors and a small handful of others do it. Also you risk losing your greens entirely. 

I'm leaning more and more towards neutering equipment and making people readjust to smaller yardages. It doesn't make the game harder, you just start to play a tee box up. It also brings a lot of courses back into contention as PGA tour venues and makes existing courses more viable in the long run.

29 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

True but bigger picture, he would have been 30 yards shorter 15 years ago. Also, nearly half of the top 15 in the world are top 35 in driving distance too. Distance matters.

I don't like the idea of planting more stuff. This game is already hard for the rest of us and unapproachable for many. And spec'ing a course out (taller rough, faster greens, shaved fringe) - I don't know the number, but I imagine this isn't cheap to do for a tournament which is probably why only the majors and a small handful of others do it. Also you risk losing your greens entirely. 

I'm leaning more and more towards neutering equipment and making people readjust to smaller yardages. It doesn't make the game harder, you just start to play a tee box up. It also brings a lot of courses back into contention as PGA tour venues and makes existing courses more viable in the long run.

The reality is that the game favors people who hit it long and straight. It always has. Jack bombed it by everybody too. The key word there is straight. Collin Morikawa won because he hits it straight. He is in the fairway, a lot. 

All this over reaction to big hitters has been going on for 10+ years now. And every week the guy who wins is the guy who doesn't miss putts inside of 10 feet. The woods remain full of long hitters.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The reality is that the game favors people who hit it long and straight. It always has. Jack bombed it by everybody too. The key word there is straight. Collin Morikawa won because he hits it straight. He is in the fairway, a lot. 

All this over reaction to big hitters has been going on for 10+ years now. And every week the guy who wins is the guy who doesn't miss putts inside of 10 feet. The woods remain full of long hitters.

my comment about the par 5's is basically that they should be 3 shot holes(or driver, 3 wood, very long iron).  I just think they need to be more challenging and even test the short wedge game.  I know there are some ways you can protect them(fairway bunkers, creeks, narrower fairways with longer rough)

21 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The reality is that the game favors people who hit it long and straight. Key word straight. Collin Morikawa won because he hits it straight. He is in the fairway, a lot. 

Look at the list of SG: OTT - they are dominated by the bombers, not the straight hitters. I think the keyword is "Long" and the SG: OTT would back me up. You gain more by hitting it long than you do straight on the tour.

Taking Morikawa as an example - he's #13 in driving accuracy, #128 in driving distance. Definitely an emphasis on straight but he's only 69th in strokes gained OTT. Driving the ball straighter than near everyone isn't gaining him many (if any) strokes on the field. Compared to Rory - #152 driving accuracy, #2 driving distance, #2 SG: OTT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Look at the list of SG: OTT - they are dominated by the bombers, not the straight hitters. I think the keyword is "Long" and the SG: OTT would back me up. You gain more by hitting it long than you do straight on the tour.

Taking Morikawa as an example - he's #13 in driving accuracy, #128 in driving distance. Definitely an emphasis on straight but he's only 69th in strokes gained OTT. Driving the ball straighter than near everyone isn't gaining him many (if any) strokes on the field. Compared to Rory - #152 driving accuracy, #2 driving distance, #2 SG: OTT. 

All of that is just Tiger changing things, making the purses bigger, and bringing more athletic people into the game, making fields deeper and deeper. More golf specific training is leading everyone to be able to maximize swing speed. Mini tours are full of guys who hit their 3 wood 350 yards and have no chance of scratching the tour because they have zero ability to control spins on wedges, don't have consistent touch on shots from 50 and in, and generally just aren't consistent putters. Putting caps on equipment isn't gonna take away the fact that certain guys will just always have higher swing speeds and therefore more distance.

Look at guys like Woodland and Finau. Naturally prodigous with the distance, but could not play with the big boys until they learned to hone it in. Woodland put on an absolute masterclass in short game when he won the Open at Pebble.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

the faster greens thing is interesting/funny. these guys love them as long as they roll true(caveat that the pin isn't in some crazy as position).   maybe we should have the tour set up greens like a bad muny. slow, furry, bouncy, unrepaired/poorly repaired divots everywhere.  

56 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

All of that is just Tiger changing things, making the purses bigger, and bringing more athletic people into the game, making fields deeper and deeper. More golf specific training is leading everyone to be able to maximize swing speed. Mini tours are full of guys who hit their 3 wood 350 yards and have no chance of scratching the tour because they have zero ability to control spins on wedges, don't have consistent touch on shots from 50 and in, and generally just aren't consistent putters. Putting caps on equipment isn't gonna take away the fact that certain guys will just always have higher swing speeds and therefore more distance.

Look at guys like Woodland and Finau. Naturally prodigous with the distance, but could not play with the big boys until they learned to hone it in. Woodland put on an absolute masterclass in short game when he won the Open at Pebble.

I'm not trying to discount the importance of a quality short game to winning - you can't win on distance alone, I agree.

I'm just trying to point out that the stats show driving the ball longer is a bigger advantage than driving it straighter. The last 5 US Open winners, where the rough is probably the most penal on tour, are prodigious clouters of the ball - Bryson, Woodland, Koepka, Koepka, DJ - whose accuracy is less prolific (yes, their short games played a role as well) . And there is a limit to how much we can protect against distance increases (the land just isn't there, the ROI isn't there).

• Hook 'Em 1