The Best Texas has to offer...

Bevo&Pevo

Given the best ham is from acorn fed pork, it makes me surly Texas hasn’t a world class ham product. 

Nevertheless, Willie, SRV, TVZ, living in Austin as a student at UT, post oak for your smoker, Texas dominating OU at the State Fair, the corn tortillas, salsas, and horchata at Poco Loco, the Lebanese ladies belly dancing at Folklife in SA, offshore fishing out of Port A, the dance hall in Gruene, a bachelor party in Dallas with a mobbed-up cop offering felony protection, Vietnamese food in Houston, the Valley of Champions near Utopia, unhappily horny University Park housewives, parissa in Castorville, lightning in the sky Northwest of Dallas, the Rio Frio, Lost Maples, chile pequin, agarita, and yaupon holly, and Big Bend. Oh, and the naked redhead in the backseat, with the trunk full of cold Lone Star.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

I don't think I played this game right.  Sure, I buy those pickles in Texas, but they're not made here.

Fickle Pickles are made in Boerne, and are damn good. Somewhere between dill and bread ‘n butter. Get the spicy.  

I get them next to the coffee shop, behind Casa Verde in Gruene.

22 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

name or link it here.  Best liquor, food, place to stay, etc.  wtfever it is share with the family.  Here's a start.

https://www.mooremaker.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

I plunked down some cash on a knife(7" field knife) for me, machete for the 'ol man, and couple of Christmas gifts.

Just so you know, MM knives are made by others.  Over time that has included Queen, Camillus, Utica, and Bear & Sons.  None are in Texas.  Queen and Camillus are no mas, but were western NY/PA outfits, as most cutlers have been.  Bear is in Alabama.

They are, generally speaking, a step up from those makers' usual production, which is really saying something with Bear & Sons.  

On 9/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Just so you know, MM knives are made by others.  Over time that has included Queen, Camillus, Utica, and Bear & Sons.  None are in Texas.  Queen and Camillus are no mas, but were western NY/PA outfits, as most cutlers have been.  Bear is in Alabama.

They are, generally speaking, a step up from those makers' usual production, which is really saying something with Bear & Sons.  

I did not know this, and it irritates me.  I still like my MM, but wondering who made it. Makes sense as they gave up and down quality control. 

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I did not know this, and it irritates me.  I still like my MM, but wondering who made it. Makes sense as they gave up and down quality control. 

Their website is clear on this.  However, they stand behind their products as if they were their babies.  I believe in that.  The way I read it, they still make the ranching tools here and test 'em here.  My FIL is knife maker, but if his lips are moving it's prob gonna be BS when he puts it out there.

RPM, Tito's is an excellent choice.  I kept it in the house for a long time, then I found Deep Eddy.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Post a pic, I can probably give you an idea.

The US traditional pocketknife industry has been in death throes for decades now.  As makers like Schrade, Queen, and Camillus teetered on bankruptcy and changed ownership, QC was one of the first things to suffer.  Also, their tooling was aging, along with their most skilled employees, and they couldn't afford to replace it, so things just weren't as tight as in their glory days.

Moore Maker commissioned "special factory orders" of knives, sometimes with their own pattern or variation on the actual maker's pattern, and exercised independent QC over and above the manufacturer, which tended to keep things nice.

Edited by TwiceHorn