Fucking fires everywhere.

Gil Bang

So the Qanon idiots are spreading misinformation about the fires in Oregon and Washington on Facebook, twitter, online forums, etc., about who started the fires - everything from antifa to probably aliens.

Normally, not a big deal, except idiot outsides are calling the emergency services in those areas and claiming they have tips, because, you know, they read it online, and they are asking the emergency call centers about whether anybody has been arrested, etc..  And because there's so many of these idiots, they are overwhelming those call centers, that are trying to deal with helping people in those areas.

So if you get any fucking idiot relatives spreading this shit, tell them to STFU, and go back to masturbating in their corners about whatever deep state bullshit is currently in vogue, but to keep it to themselves.  Shame Art Bell is dead, he could have helped occupy the time of a bunch of these people with conspiracies about covering up UFOs or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

Goddam the air is bad inside my house. House is ancient with lots of beautiful, double sash windows with poor seals.

Seriously considering getting them replaced/fixed if this is going to be a annual thing. Eyes have been stinging for 3 days and all my clothes in my closet and my bed smell like a fucking campfire.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

A1411001-63F9-4A80-A70B-810287DFCFCF.jpeg

Trade ya (today at least)

spacer.png

And workswith, no I don't have a good mask for this kind of thing. Just cloth stuff.  But reading the stories of those near me, wow, I am so lucky.  I'm going to focus more on those in need than myself to try and help my new Oregonian neighbors.  Going through kid's clothing and some pet food I can't use anymore in order to drop off at some donation spots today.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

I thought this was the no politics side of the bbs?  Please don't spread the qanon boogeyman bullshit in this thread. 

Calm down Francis, I wasn't accusing anybody here of being a qanon idiot.  I don't think anybody here is spreading the qanon misinformation that is overwhelming the local call centers up there.  

But some of us do have relatives who are a little batshit and into that stuff (I do), and we need to shut that shit down if we see them posting - those folks up there have enough shit to deal with, without their 911 call centers having to answer questions from idiots.  Hell, there's nearly a thousand-page thread on TexAgs about that quackery, and they are "asking questions" of people up there with law enforcement connections.

Edited by atomheartbevo

44 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Goddam the air is bad inside my house. House is ancient with lots of beautiful, double sash windows with poor seals.

Seriously considering getting them replaced/fixed if this is going to be a annual thing. Eyes have been stinging for 3 days and all my clothes in my closet and my bed smell like a fucking campfire.

Spray Windex on it, it'll get the smell right out!

Seriously, that sucks.  This last round is it for a friend and his brother.  They both have families and they are coming back to Texas, and will be moving their company as well.  They are allowing employees, who can work remotely, who want to stay in California to do so, but they are moving everything else here.   I'm encouraging them to look at San Antonio because I'm a selfish asshole, but they'll probably end up here in Austin, since they were from the area, and they'll have local access to both customers and potential customers.

As much as I bitch about the heat, they've went through multiple evacuations or near-evacuations (as in pack everything up they can take with them) with their families over the past I dunno, 5 or so years, and that's got to be pretty scary for their kids (three under 10).

Austin, RR, and others sending firefighters and vehicles to California to help with the fires.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-firefighters-on-the-road-to-california-to-help-fight-deadly-wildfires/

That's pretty cool, and there's over 50 Texas fire departments sending firefighters.  I remember with the Bastrop fire, there were a shitload of out-of-staters who came in and helped.  

And I did not realize Austin had the 5th highest risk for metropolitan wildfires.

Transient arrested for starting wildfire in Southern Oregon.

Another man arrested for starting a fire near Eugene that was put out by bystanders.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/09/man-arrested-charged-with-arson-in-connection-with-southern-oregon-fire.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.kezi.com/templates/AMP%3fcontentID=572385001

Pop culture:  Thats the Dexter that is home to the roadhouse where Otis Day is playing in Animal House. “Do you mind if we dance with your dates?”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Trade ya (today at least)

spacer.png

And workswith, no I don't have a good mask for this kind of thing. Just cloth stuff.  But reading the stories of those near me, wow, I am so lucky.  I'm going to focus more on those in need than myself to try and help my new Oregonian neighbors.  Going through kid's clothing and some pet food I can't use anymore in order to drop off at some donation spots today.

Good stuff, man. I'd make sure some of your essentials are packed if the fire does come y'alls way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Transient arrested for starting wildfire in Southern Oregon.

Another man arrested for starting a fire near Eugene that was put out by bystanders.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/09/man-arrested-charged-with-arson-in-connection-with-southern-oregon-fire.html

Bakkela was arrested and initially lodged in the Jackson County Jail on Tuesday on a charge of possession of methamphetamine. He remains in jail on the arson and criminal mischief charges.

spacer.png

So the actor has been hiding out in Oregon?  So they've been lying to us about that finale?

Edited by atomheartbevo

Facebook removing posts/people spreading misinformation that came out of the qanon pranks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/12/business/facebook-oregon-wildfire-false-claims/index.html

Yeah, a lot of these people are mentally ill (the ones who take the qanon pranks as gospel and devote themselves to spreading that stuff), but there really are a few that somehow think they are helping out......let's just say that Edna in Butt Fuck, Oklahoma, bless her heart, is not going to discover any real information from anonymous stories on sketchy sites, and she does not need to be clogging up the Douglas County emergency phone lines and filling up their voice mails.

Clackamas and Marion county fires still 0% contained.  I've got some relatives up there (Clackamas) that are packing up.

Also, assholes are stealing generators, but getting busted.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/09/oregon-wildfires-on-sunday-blazes-in-clackamas-and-marion-counties-still-0-contained-deputies-arrest-alleged-thieves-of-generator-live-updates.html

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Got a box of "KN95" masks which according to internet posters are 'as good' as K95.  Wearing them in the house now as smoke is starting to get to us. 

Took all day yesterday to seal all my windows and even our back door with tape, put in new AC filters and rigged a few box fans with AC filters. My house was reeking of smoke and my eyes were burning. Huge improvement today. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Took all day yesterday to seal all my windows and even our back door with tape, put in new AC filters and rigged a few box fans with AC filters. My house was reeking of smoke and my eyes were burning. Huge improvement today. 

Good deal.  For whatever reason, I don't have a box fan and the stores around here have been ransacked.  Locally, the air is hopefully supposed to clear up around Noon tomorrow, but now I know to plan long term.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:51 AM, Foosters said:

What part of town are you in?

@Sbbruin I see Arcadia is being evacuated.   That's pretty fucking close to your neighborhood.  You hanging in?

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

@Sbbruin I see Arcadia is being evacuated.   That's pretty fucking close to your neighborhood.  You hanging in?

Just a small part of Arcadia.  Super tankers flying right over us.  Fire is about 4 miles East.  They are holding the line pretty well.  Camp Trask, the Boy Scout camp that is an institution in this area, is under siege,  fire is right on top of it but they are trying to beat it back.  Winds are staying light giving them a chance.  But I’ve never seen smoke so thick and last so long.  You can see ash falling like rain everywhere.  Thanks for asking.  We’re good for now.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My oldest went *over to LA to visit a friend for the weekend but is heading home to Pasadena as she is to work tomorrow. After hoping no one is harmed in these awful fires, I'm also hoping that the telescopes at the observatory can be saved.

I'd also like to add my hopes to Gil's that you don't have to evacuate SBBruin.

*to me it all just blurs together in one big conglomerate of people and roads but I guess you all make distinctions the same way Houston does.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I hope you don't have to evacuate.  If you do, I've got a wing of the house with two bedrooms and two baths, and it's empty.  Mi casa es su casa brother. 

Thx, but it would have to burn through a hundred plus houses.  I think we’re good.  Winds are forecast to be light.  That’s the key.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My oldest went *over to LA to visit a friend for the weekend but is heading home to Pasadena as she is to work tomorrow. After hoping no one is harmed in these awful fires, I'm also hoping that the telescopes at the observatory can be saved.

I'd also like to add my hopes to Gil's that you don't have to evacuate SBBruin.

*to me it all just blurs together in one big conglomerate of people and roads but I guess you all make distinctions the same way Houston does.

The observatory at Mt. Wilson.  They have a team up there and a half million gallon tower to fight it.  They will fight that fiercely.  There is a LOT of valuable equipment up there.

I had read just a little about them. I was really hoping to visit the observatory  if possible this summer. (Thanks COVID).  We didn’t really have time to sightsee when we helped our oldest move out there so we were going to go and see some of the area. There is a lot to see there! But instead of starting with the big stuff people do, we were going to try and see some of the other sights and places. 

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

I would assume sealing off your doors and windows is necessary at this point. If you’re lucky enough to have a work from home job, do you consider leaving the area and working remotely from Vegas or SLC for a few weeks?

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I would assume sealing off your doors and windows is necessary at this point. If you’re lucky enough to have a work from home job, do you consider leaving the area and working remotely from Vegas or SLC for a few weeks?

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm in NE Pasadena.

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Unfortunately I'm still having to go into work 3-5 days a week. Otherwise, probably something we'd do, although they're now estimating that the fire won't be fully contained until 10/30, so it's gonna be smokey for awhile.

Positive thoughts to all our surly brethren impacted by this horrible shit. My family had a horrific experience with the 2011 Bastrop County Complex Fires and I would not wish that on my worst enemy. 

Sbbruin, know that I expect you to defend Dodger Stadium from flames until your last breath. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I'm in NE Pasadena.

Unfortunately I'm still having to go into work 3-5 days a week. Otherwise, probably something we'd do, although they're now estimating that the fire won't be fully contained until 10/30, so it's gonna be smokey for awhile.

Crazy how thick the smoke is, eh?  My eyes feel like I've been swimming in bleach.  Saw fire trucks rolling up Allen this morning.  Wonder if they are going to try to set up a defense along Eaton Canyon.  Would make sense.  

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Crazy how thick the smoke is, eh?  My eyes feel like I've been swimming in bleach.  Saw fire trucks rolling up Allen this morning.  Wonder if they are going to try to set up a defense along Eaton Canyon.  Would make sense.  

It's really bad. Spent all weekend inside. Felt like early days of covid again. My poor kid is so over all of this shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

A few weeks ago I was looking at air B&B rentals in southern Oregon to escape the smoke in the Bay Area. Jobs and school are remote, and we're all on our devices anyway. 

Just awful to see it - looks like Paradise/Santa Rosa all over again. And still at least a month or two before we really start taking about rain in these parts. 

6 hours ago, Txzen said:

A few weeks ago I was looking at air B&B rentals in southern Oregon to escape the smoke in the Bay Area. Jobs and school are remote, and we're all on our devices anyway. 

Just awful to see it - looks like Paradise/Santa Rosa all over again. And still at least a month or two before we really start taking about rain in these parts. 

Pleasure is such a beautiful name.

Just from my limited internet sleuthing, it did seem like the area to the south, southwest had no burn scars and that didn't bode well. I didn't realize just how far up in those hills people live. Their home insurance must be insanely expensive.

Edit to add--I'm not making light of the danger the foothill communities are in, just to be clear. I guess like you all were saying earlier, it is a risk that people get accustomed or comfortable with when looking for affordable housing/proximity to work, etc. It just that I'd be so paranoid about it.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins