Fucking fires everywhere.

Gil Bang

Checking in from Sierra Madre, southern edge of the Bobcat fire. We bailed out Saturday morning to Ventura, to escape the AQI 472 smoke, and the new racket from the helicopters refilling at the city yards settling basins, which are a eighth of a mile north of us. They weren't flying the previous 3 days due to lack of visibility, but started flying Friday afternoon in the same conditions. Returned Sunday evening to the clearest exterior air in days, but the house was full of smoke. Opened the windows and turned on the fans to clear it out.  Stupidly went to bed with the windows open...when the marine layer comes inland, it creates a inversion layer that traps the smoke until the rising temps evaporate the inversion layer. Woke up to a house filled with nasty smoke. We bailed out again, and are now residing at the Double Tree in Monrovia.

Air Quality in Sierra Madre is 242 now, about half as bad  as it was yesterday at this time. When I was checking west coast air quality on Purpleair, I was stunned to see 672 at Lee Vining, which is the western portal of Yosemite in the Sierra.

Waiting for a call from a local HVAC contractor so I can pick up a new, odd sized air filter for an older friend of ours who lives by the Rose Bowl who is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. I'm wearing an industrial respirator when i'm out sand about these days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Checking in from Sierra Madre, southern edge of the Bobcat fire. We bailed out Saturday morning to Ventura, to escape the AQI 472 smoke, and the new racket from the helicopters refilling at the city yards settling basins, which are a eighth of a mile north of us. They weren't flying the previous 3 days due to lack of visibility, but started flying Friday afternoon in the same conditions. Returned Sunday evening to the clearest exterior air in days, but the house was full of smoke. Opened the windows and turned on the fans to clear it out.  Stupidly went to bed with the windows open...when the marine layer comes inland, it creates a inversion layer that traps the smoke until the rising temps evaporate the inversion layer. Woke up to a house filled with nasty smoke. We bailed out again, and are now residing at the Double Tree in Monrovia.

Air Quality in Sierra Madre is 242 now, about half as bad  as it was yesterday at this time. When I was checking west coast air quality on Purpleair, I was stunned to see 672 at Lee Vining, which is the western portal of Yosemite in the Sierra.

Waiting for a call from a local HVAC contractor so I can pick up a new, odd sized air filter for an older friend of ours who lives by the Rose Bowl who is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. I'm wearing an industrial respirator when i'm out sand about these days.

Damn dude. Hang in there.

Whereabouts in Sierra Madre? We're in Altadena by the country club. When I got home last night I saw blue sky for the first time in a week. This morning it was back to campfire central. According to the fire command, we should be ok because remnant scars from the Station Fire should keep it from jumping Eaton Canyon. Stay safe in SM.

Just north of Orange Grove, east of Mountain Trail....so, 4 houses north of the Arcadia Border.  The Station Fire burn should help, as long as they keep the fire from jumping the ridge  from Santa Anita canyon south to Little Santa Anita canyon...they were trying like hell to hold that line last night.  The frontside between Santa Anita and Eaton didn't get touched during the Station Fire, so if the fire jumps into Little Santa Anita, all hell will break loose in regards to structures.  Smokey enough now that there are no choppers flying right now (10:45).

Good to know your location, SB...we'll bring the fried chicken the next 4th...usually watch it from the back of the pickup parked on Hill.

Edited by otisdog
capitalization

Just north of Orange Grove, east of Mountain Trail....so, 4 houses north of the Arcadia Border.  The Station Fire burn should help, as long as they keep the fire from jumping the ridge  from Santa Anita canyon south to Little Santa Anita canyon...they were trying like hell to hold that line last night.  The frontside between Santa Anita and Eaton didn't get touched during the Station Fire, so if the fire jumps into Little Santa Anita, all hell will break loose in regards to structures.  Smokey enough now that there are no choppers flying right now (10:45).

Good to know your location, SB...we'll bring the fried chicken the next 4th...usually watch it from the back of the pickup parked on Hill.

Yeah, except we watch it from the club.  We keep the riffraff out.  My daughter just finished middle school at Gooden and is now at LaSalle, so I'm in your neighborhood all the time.  At least I will be again when she starts back in person (eventually).  

They are apparently really reinforcing that Little Santa Anita defense for the reason you state.  Light winds are keeping this from becoming an absolute catasptrophe.  Could you imagine a strong NE Santa Ana right now?  Monrovia and Sierra Madre would be toast.

BTW, Monrovia does a really good update with maps a couple times a day.

https://www.cityofmonrovia.org/your-government/bobcat-fire

This was the sun in Altadena this morning.

3f70b339e682345fb4d83d2554f0afe3.jpg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Haven’t checked this thread in few days. You guys in Pasasena, Sierra Madre and Arcadia stay safe.

Which part of Arcadia is evacuating? I’m assuming north of the 210? My MIL has a house just a little south of 210 less than 1/2 mile from the race track. Don’t think the fire would jump the freeway, but this is 2020 and it’ll probably burn the entire city down.

I’ll also offer up my place, but then I live with the poors in Tustin so it may not be fancy enough for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fires within 500 ft of Mt. Wilson.  Not good.

On Tuesday afternoon, Angeles National Forest officials reported the blaze was within 500 feet of Mt. Wilson Observatory and firefighters have dug in to defend the historic science station. It's arguably one of the world's most important spots for scientific discovery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

that place has Einstein's footprints on the grounds.  Hubble's too.   It's kind of a big deal. 

Yep.  Hubble discovered that the Milky Way was just a galaxy, and not the whole universe, from Mt. Wilson.  Oh, and there’s $500 million in broadcast and communications equipment there too.

They are going all out to save the place.

Looks like they were able to hold the line last night.  Winds really cooperating.  That has been the key.  But the light winds also mean smoke is blanketing the entire city, and not getting blown out of here.

Middle Earth this morning.

e278de5aa2e81d226b62c3c38e56f7b5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Looks like they were able to hold the line last night.  Winds really cooperating.  That has been the key.  But the light winds also mean smoke is blanketing the entire city, and not getting blown out of here.

Middle Earth this morning.

e278de5aa2e81d226b62c3c38e56f7b5.jpg

Yeah, I keep watching those live cams just waiting to see the flames emerge, but so far so good.

Assuming Altadena CC doesn't burn to the ground, whats a man gotta do to become a member? If summers are going to be 110+ from now on, need to find a place for the kid to swim.

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Yeah, I keep watching those live cams just waiting to see the flames emerge, but so far so good.

Assuming Altadena CC doesn't burn to the ground, whats a man gotta do to become a member? If summers are going to be 110+ from now on, need to find a place for the kid to swim.

Contact April Bergen.  I can PM you all the info.  BUT, if swimming is your primary objective, Gerrish is the call https://www.teamunify.com/team/cagstc/page/home  .  On New York, just east of Altadena Dr in the Eaton Canyon wash.  Only open basically Memorial Day to Labor Day, but no big initiation fee like you have at ATCC, no monthly dues (I don't think), and no food and drink minimums.  All that shit adds up FAST.  Just an annual fee.  ATCC is a burden I'd like to ditch, honestly, but I do it to maintain familial harmony because they all like it.  My son now lifeguards there and made some pretty good coin over the summer.

That's gonna really suck for that kid.  He's gonna be associated with that fire and those fatalities, as unfair as it is, for the rest of his life.  

And on top of that, his parents are selfish, stupid, assholes that will probably end up even more fucked up. 

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This was last night from our house.  Wilson is all the towers you see.  The smoke is behind, and burning away, northward.

spacer.png

In normal times, how does the local light pollution affect the venerable observatory?

And is the old 100” reflector still in operation?

22 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

In normal times, how does the local light pollution affect the venerable observatory?

And is the old 100” reflector still in operation?

Not sure about the reflector, but the light pollution isn't bad when looking up, since you're over a mile up.  The San Gabriels rise pretty radically.  Makes for some fun but arduous hiking.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm going to attempt to spoiler tag this one, as it is a heart breaking one.  You've been warned.

Spoiler

This was from yesterday:

amlycjky33m51.jpg

This was from today:

8za6s1vwd7m51.jpg

LYONS, Ore. (KGW) -- A fast-moving fire in Lyons killed a 12-year-old boy and his grandmother, family confirmed.
12-year-old Wyatt Tofte was found dead with his dog. His family believes his grandmother, Peggy Mosso, was also killed by the fire. Her body has not been found. His mother suffered severe burns and is in critical condition.

Just catching up here, but I read this story a few days ago. Heart wrenching.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/the-desperate-fight-to-save-his-family-ends-in-tragedy.html

On 9/19/2020 at 8:26 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Finally hit our area in the late afternoon. Our air quality went from high 400s down to the 30s. Everyone went outside and the neighborhood street filled with kids playing and parents chatting.

Hang in there all of you who are still affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's over 100,000 acres and only about 13-15% contained so it's definitely burning up fuel. They are fighting it with over 1500 personnel I believe I read not too long ago and that number may have increased. I had always admired California's commitment to clean air despite all the grumbling over the restrictions. The accounts I read when I learned of then versus now were fascinating. But those fires are pumping out a lot of smoke so I sympathize with those having breathing difficulties.

Some items of note:

Apparently some spectators are flying drones to take pictures, but that is a no-no because it grounds the fixed wing aircraft used to fight fires, so the LA sheriff's department had to issue a reminder to people to STOP doing that so that the pilots could make their air drops. I hope people listen.

Also, the folks that just love them some political disinformation are clogging up social media with the antifa is setting fires narrative again and it's causing more problems for the officials who have quite enough on their plate. The Bobcat Fire is still a cause unknown, but fires in California at this time of year are (gender reveal parties notwithstanding) are frequently caused by human carelessness, accidents, or lightning.

Mt Wilson observatory and the comm towers are hanging in there thanks to valiant efforts by the firefighting units. My oldest hasn't checked in for the weekly update, but I'm hoping the perimeter or controlled burns (or whatever they're called) are keeping it off the southern end of the forest as fighting the fire at two fronts seems arduous for those folks working.

Stay safe everyone!

On 9/20/2020 at 10:44 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Think there will be enough acreage burned this year that fires will be less the next decade due to lack of fuel?

On 9/22/2020 at 7:36 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's over 100,000 acres and only about 13-15% contained so it's definitely burning up fuel.

There are over 30 million acres of forest in California.

The climate in most of the west no longer supports large forests. They are going to burn until they are all practically gone.