Phishing Text This Morning In Guise of USPS Delivery Notification

Doc Reeves

spam calls have gone down but spam texts have gone up eleventymillion percent.  i guess the olds have figured out that they shouldn't answer calls but they still haven't figured out that they shouldn't type their passwords into unsolicited 'trying to get back into your bank account click here: http://scam.my.link '

I got that today, too.  And that was at least the third time in the last month.

I also get spam emails allegedly from Netflix telling me that they couldn't charge my card so I'm about to canceled, only Netflix has the vertical line (|) instead of an "l".

It's a good thing I'm not fucking retarded.

Edited by TexArcher

My mom is 82.  This shit scares the bejeezus out of me with shitheads doing this.  She STILL trusts people, no matter how many times I plead with her to just delete/ ignore this crap.

Leave people the fuck alone.  They target the people who need every penny they have.  That's what pisses me off more than anything.   Go fucking work for it like she did, you coward motherfuckers.

My mother-in-law had some problem with her printer a few years ago, did some kind of garden variety "old person bad Googling" and ended up calling some random phone number off of the Internet. 

It was allegedly Epson or HP or whoever made the printer, but they asked for a bunch of weird info and remote access to her machine and stuff. She went along with some but not all of it, and I can't even remember the immediate fallout, but it was a hassle.  And she still doesn't really understand why you can't immediately and implicitly trust everything that's on the Internet. 

All that is to say that old people can get themselves into trouble just as easily as trouble can find them... 

42 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This. I respond with "This is President Putin's account. How can I help your candidate?"

I'm going to start responding by sending a nude pic of some random instagram slut with the message "I really enjoyed my time last night with [insert name of candidate spamming me]"

• Hook 'Em 1

[EDIT: well fuck, I didn't see that these were texts, I thought it was about calls.]

My wife has a bunch of ways to answer these, depending on her mood.

1. Starts complaining in German that she can't understand a word they say, and for them to speak German to her. This gets some of them riled up where they tell her that she knows English because she has a US phone number. She will then patiently explain, in German, that the phone is American but she is not, then she asks very detailed questions, in German. [Narrator: Mrs, Canecutter was not German.]

2. Murder victim scream. I had to ask her to stop doing this at home, it scares the dog and will probably get me and the dog shot.

3. In a bouncy "Ask Dr. Science!" voice, she butts in and welcomes them to "Chemistry Quiz!", where she patters on about some technical question that WILL WIN THEM A PRIZE!

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What did the link do when he clicked it?  

Dumbass got a pop up with a phone number. He called the number , gave them remote access and a CC number. He is dumber than a box of hammers.

Had to completely reimage his laptop, it was so fucked with spyware.

Then he did it again, blamed me , I told him to fuck off, and haven't spoke since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Dumbass got a pop up with a phone number. He called the number , gave them remote access and a CC number. He is dumber than a box of hammers.

Then he did it again, blamed me , I told him to fuck off, and haven't spoke since.

Oh, gotcha, PC.  I was curious what happens with a text message with a link.  I just delete without clicking. Didnt know what it would do with an android / iphone. 

9 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I hope you changed your password

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2020 at 6:16 AM, slorch said:

My mom is 82.  This shit scares the bejeezus out of me with shitheads doing this.  She STILL trusts people, no matter how many times I plead with her to just delete/ ignore this crap.

Leave people the fuck alone.  They target the people who need every penny they have.  That's what pisses me off more than anything.   Go fucking work for it like she did, you coward motherfuckers.

We have never fallen for any of that scam shit. Not even the chain letters from the 1960s.

• Hook 'Em 1

[EDIT: well fuck, I didn't see that these were texts, I thought it was about calls.]
1. Starts complaining in German that she can't understand a word they say, and for them to speak German to her. This gets some of them riled up where they tell her that she knows English because she has a US phone number. She will then patiently explain, in German, that the phone is American but she is not, then she asks very detailed questions, in German. [Narrator: Mrs, Canecutter was not German.]
2. Murder victim scream. I had to ask her to stop doing this at home, it scares the dog and will probably get me and the dog shot.
3. In a bouncy "Ask Dr. Science!" voice, she butts in and welcomes them to "Chemistry Quiz!", where she patters on about some technical question that WILL WIN THEM A PRIZE!

I think I’m falling love with your wide RD.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We have never fallen for any of that scam shit. Not even the chain letters from the 1960s.

My mom thinks everyone is as honest as she is.  You know the world is full of assholes.

Seems simplistic, but that's the root of it all.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, RDCanecutter said:

She sounds awesome and fun.

• Hook 'Em 1