Question about why I got a "warning" for "shit posting"

It's fucking hilarious that thread and entire board is trying so hard to "no politics" current events that are directly instigated by political actions and actors. It's like trying to talk about football while ignoring all of the off-field stuff and coaching decisions. 

Keep up the good work, bob. Don't want to harm any snowflakes feelings and protect their right to fly "fuck your feelings" flags without mockery. Real nice safe space you've built

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

@captainant.  Yet, some of us posted in both the political boat parade and non-political one .  It’s not difficult to discern where ‘that line’ is IMHO.

I started posting in CR again at the beginning of July.  I’ll admit straight up that it is better than when I quit it a year ago. Most conversations have been just fine- just have the right mindset and don’t go guns a blazing and  shit.  Not difficult.  The non political threads seem to irk some folks... for whatever reason, I don’t really care.  

Both boards serve a purpose, IMHO.   It’s not any act of courage to post in CR.   Lol.

Edited by slorch

34 minutes ago, slorch said:

@captainant.  Yet, some of us posted in both the political boat parade and non-political one .  It’s not difficult to discern where ‘that line’ is IMHO.

I started posting in CR again at the beginning of July.  I’ll admit straight up that it is better than when I quit it a year ago. Most conversations have been just fine- just have the right mindset and don’t go guns a blazing and  shit.  Not difficult.  The non political threads seem to irk some folks... for whatever reason, I don’t really care.  

Both boards serve a purpose, IMHO.   It’s not any act of courage to post in CR.   Lol.

I guess my point is that the bare facts of the event in question are themselves political. It's frustrating because folks will echo the party line and talking points in DT, and then cry to the mods when called out on it. It poisons any possible conversation because it's leaving out critical context for why something happened on the first place. 

DT is rife with shitty right wing facebook conspiracy disinformation which is apparently exactly what the mods want in their news and current event board

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

As if the three tidbits above don’t perfectly describe CaptainAnt

Lol, well I'm honored you spend so much time thinking about little ol me

I'd love to see examples of me pushing MLM's or fake news (not just news you don't want to hear) to back up your Karen accusations. The name calling is cute though. 

I will concede being a raging asshole from time to time, but isn't that what you come to surly for in the first place?

Edited by Captainant

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

I guess my point is that the bare facts of the event in question are themselves political. It's frustrating because folks will echo the party line and talking points in DT, and then cry to the mods when called out on it. It poisons any possible conversation because it's leaving out critical context for why something happened on the first place. 

DT is rife with shitty right wing facebook conspiracy disinformation which is apparently exactly what the mods want in their news and current event board

People in the DT thread wanted to discuss the happenings on the Lake, as they occurred and how things...um... went down.  There was discussion of the time it takes for a watercraft to sink, impact of wakes and such on the shoreline and docks/ marinas, whether one of the rescuers was actually clothed, etc, etc.  There's a good portion of the board who doesn't want to discuss the freaking POTUS 24/7.  Why is that such a fucking crime, or in some folks' estimation, a lack of gravitas?

It's a beating if that's not what people are looking for.   The CR provides ample opportunity to take those shots.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

People in the DT thread wanted to discuss the happenings on the Lake, as they occurred and how things...um... went down.  There was discussion of the time it takes for a watercraft to sink, impact of wakes and such on the shoreline and docks/ marinas, whether one of the rescuers was actually clothed, etc, etc.  There's a good portion of the board who doesn't want to discuss the freaking POTUS 24/7.  Why is that such a fucking crime, or in some folks' estimation, a lack of gravitas?

It's a beating if that's not what people are looking for.   The CR provides ample opportunity to take those shots.

Ignorance is bliss, and many DT posters are ignorant motherfuckers, so you make a good point here. I get it, it's a safe space, not a place for full discussion of current events

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ignorance is bliss, but don’t worry, we’ve got Captain Fuckwad to keep us informed. Once again, people aren’t looking for a safe space. They just don’t want to be beaten down with others’ political rants. Picture a Westboro Baptist Church protest. Then imagine yourself (and several others) standing around in dorky clothes holding up “God Hates Fags” signs. That’s what I feel like when I see many of you post in DT. If you wanna call me willfully ignorant or a safe space pussy, do you really think that sways me to your side or makes me want to engage you in any discourse?  No.  It makes DT untenable. 

LMAO, pointing out how Trump's actions as president directly impact and instigate current events like Rittenhouse shooting protesters, our dogshit COVID response, and the worsening of our water and air quality is like holding up "God hates fags" signs and we're basically westboro church? You poor thing, how do you survive in this world with such a delicate disposition?

Oh I know, by sticking your head in the sand and acting like all is well when it's not for the majority of the country. Sorry that reality is ugly, shit is pretty fucked if you haven't noticed. Current events and the discussion of them tends to reflect that. If you don't like it, maybe fucking do something to make it better instead of shouting down things that are inconvenient to hear. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re worse than FitLump you AIDS-filled cunt. 

Post of the day, and Zepol should be proud he was the target.

Shoulda just dropped an "LTT"" at the end for ole timey sake.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, immamac said:

One of the new boards is going to be covid and the other is going to be a soft ban thunderdome like douchebag central was. 

It's why I like this site, almost 9 months into the virus and we're establishing a thread for it now.  We don't go in for the trends /frankcostanza 

Also, I claim "Soft Ban Thunderdome" for my post.alt.virus band name.  Sure we stole our title track sounds a bit stolen "Donnie Doesn't Know!  Donnie Doesn't Know!"  /mattdamon

Pretty sure the title is "Donnie Doesn't Know", dude.  Whole song is about how he doesn't know his significant other is being fucked by other dudes.  

Edited by Lobo

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Also, I claim "Soft Ban Thunderdome" for my post.alt.virus band name.  Sure we stole our title track sounds a bit stolen "Donnie Doesn't Know!  Donnie Doesn't Know!"  /mattdamon

recorded at  HowDoYouLikeDemApples Records

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

LMAO, pointing out how Trump's actions as president directly impact and instigate current events like Rittenhouse shooting protesters, our dogshit COVID response, and the worsening of our water and air quality is ....blah blah blah

See this is where your stupidity shines through. None of those are facts but rather your heavily partisan opinion. Political opinions belong in the Cloak Room. That's the liberal safe space. Just stay there or quit fucking crying. Many of us want the DT to stay on facts and not be clogged up with partisan bullshit. It's not that hard to understand...even for you. 

50 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

See this is where your stupidity shines through. None of those are facts but rather your heavily partisan opinion. Political opinions belong in the Cloak Room. That's the liberal safe space. Just stay there or quit fucking crying. Many of us want the DT to stay on facts and not be clogged up with partisan bullshit. It's not that hard to understand...even for you. 

Police your own immortal13. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Just saying - you want politics out of the DT - curb your own dogs who shit on the lawn.

sorry bruh, but it's the Cloak Roomers crawling out of their slimy hole that are causing the problem. You guys have an entire fucking sub-forum where you can spew your liberal hate, but oh no, that's not enough for you. You have to go and ruin DT. The mods will eventually have to slap you dumbasses in line before the entire board is ruined

And I'll start controlling my dogs when you control yours.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

You have me intrigued, but I don't know a place the sells that. Might have to find a butcher shop for it.

What I found in Denver was that the restaurants bought most of the skirt steak. The bavette is a bottom sirloin cut. A butcher shop would be your best bet, but a bigger store with a butcher on-site might have it. It is also called a sirloin flap. It grills up nicely. 

Edited by washparkhorn

Shit posting, and trolling when done right are some of the best, most entertaining reasons to come to Surly. I think there are posts that probably are flat out shit posting, but hard sarcasm is not shit posting IMO, and at times is the best response to a post that is so stupid only a shit post or a troll are the proper response.

I've been banned a few times in the last few months for shit posting, and I still don't know what the offending posts were.  Someone using the term dotard is shit posting in a thread about people in sinking boats adorned with TRUMP flags ?  I'm not sure I agree with your police work  there Lou.......

Unless it's just a flat out, super personal attack on someone I think it's all fair game to a point.  I really hope this place doesn't lose too much of its Wild West feeling, cause when it does it's dead. (Cue the Marcus Aurelius Rome is a republic gossamer speech to Maximus).

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

No bit,  I know it's "Scotty doesn't know", just fun to get Rex to say "Scotty! Christ!" out loud at his desk. 

Donnie Doesn't Know was intended to convey that other people fuck his wife and his favorite daughter and he doesn't know about it.  

This whole thread is beyond bizarre even for Surly standards.  

Anyway, I really feel like CR posting outside that forum is way down across the board.  But obviously others feel differently.  

Edited by Lobo

13 hours ago, immortal13 said:

sorry bruh, but it's the Cloak Roomers crawling out of their slimy hole that are causing the problem. You guys have an entire fucking sub-forum where you can spew your liberal hate, but oh no, that's not enough for you. You have to go and ruin DT. The mods will eventually have to slap you dumbasses in line before the entire board is ruined

And I'll start controlling my dogs when you control yours.

You seem triggered by opposing viewpoints.  Need a safe space?

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Sigh. 

It fucking staggers the imagination. 

35 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I like opposing viewpoints. Just need to keep shit in the forum it belongs in. Is that a difficult concept for you?

Humor seems to be for both of you.  Maybe you should start a board of your own, you have our blessing.