lordy i hope there are tapes (woodward book/tapes)

hayden_horn

26 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

My parents much the same, but somewhere around W's term is where we all agreed that if we didn't discuss politics it would help keep us all in touch.  They've found their "truth" in Rush Limbaugh and Fox News and the 700 Club (Pat Robertson).  That's it, no point in talking further, really.

i don't have any aggy in my family, but my mom blamed "Liberal Austin" and "Liberal Texas" for making me a bad person.  and she didn't want my niece & nephew to attend UT (not that they had a snowball's chance in hell of getting in) because "it would ruin them and make them liberal".

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i don't have any aggy in my family, but my mom blamed "Liberal Austin" and "Liberal Texas" for making me a bad person.  and she didn't want my niece & nephew to attend UT (not that they had a snowball's chance in hell of getting in) because "it would ruin them and make them liberal".

Durn libsips

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Holy fuck, it's way worse if you read the transcript

"He will always say that he didn't do it," Trump said of MBS. "He says that to everybody, and frankly I'm happy that he says that. But he will say that to you, he will say that to Congress, and he will say that to everybody. He's never said he did it."

"Do you believe that he did it?" Woodward asked.

"No, he says that he didn't do it," Trump replied.

"I know, but do you really believe —" Woodward said before Trump cut him off.

"He says very strongly that he didn't do it," Trump said. "Bob, they spent $400 billion over a fairly short period of time."

Trump added that Saudi Arabia spent billions of dollars on US products. He also stressed MBS's claim that he's innocent, though US intelligence and other foreign intelligence agencies have concluded otherwise.

giphy.gif

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It has to be much higher.  Nothing else can explain his approval rating and if the polls are to be believed his current prospects.

I'm sticking with my 37% number.

See, how can we expect Trump voters to accept facts when they're literally quoted to you and staring you in the face, when you won't when facts are literally quoted to you and staring you in the face?

Be better.

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Even though my family grew up in Austin, my mom (80) has a go to, calling me a "liberal UT grad".  My retort is "yeah I am a proud graduate of that bastion of free thinking progressives at the Red McCombs School of Business"

57 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

welp i was wrong about donahue

/themoreyouknow

Everybody went that way in the early 90s. It was a shit fest. Oprah for sure and I think Donahue stepped back from Jer-reee, jer-reee, jer-reeee! Rosie O'Donnell actually reintroduced a civil daytime talker that was nice then Ellen kicked it up a notch.

I hate that I know this. I spent time with my WWII generation parents back in those days for a variety of reasons beneficial at times to them and at times to me.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Approval rating does not equate to cult membership imo. I guess if you like drama and demonizing folks you don’t agree with it does. 

even if it is 42% that’s close to his ceiling and that is a fuck stomping in the popular vote even if the entirety of the 42% turn out for him.  IMO he will be under 40% by Election Day and I don’t believe anyone running for re-election has won with <40% approval. 

Trump basically has one path to victory through the EC and it is a very long shot

*shrugs* We'll see.  No way for anyone to declare victory in this pissing contest until November.  I certainly hope you are right and that all of us on the ledge are completely wrong.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It's all going to come down to the American people. What these Woodward tapes give us is unadulterated absolute proof of the crimes of trump and republicans. There is no room for debate it's coming straight from the idiot's mouth. 

So if the citizens of this country are, as a whole, proven too stupid and lazy to uphold democracy in the face of the most blatant of violations and absolute proof then we will know without a doubt the country is too far gone to save. I thank Woodward for he has given me the ability to know in 2 months whether I need to immediately start making arrangements to emigrate at the earliest possible availability and get off an obviously sinking ship. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It's all going to come down to the American people. What these Woodward tapes give us is unadulterated absolute proof of the crimes of trump and republicans. There is no room for debate it's coming straight from the idiot's mouth. 

So if the citizens of this country are, as a whole, proven too stupid and lazy to uphold democracy in the face of the most blatant of violations and absolute proof then we will know without a doubt the country is too far gone to save. I thank Woodward for he has given me the ability to know in 2 months whether I need to immediately start making arrangements to emigrate at the earliest possible availability and get off an obviously sinking ship. 

Yep.  Exactly my thoughts.  If we still let this man lead after these revelations, we deserve exactly what will happen.  I won't be a part of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nana changing GIF

What is this, grade school?

Hugo Stiglitz listed out the evidence for why Trump's base was at most 25%, supported by evidence

Hagbard Celine yelped, "Nope, I'm sticking with 37%," right after staring Hugo's facts and supporting evidence in the face.

The mental disease that causes people to support Trump is not a Conservative disease. Nor is it limited to Trump supporters. It's called Cognitive Bias, and everyone suffers from it, because it is how our brains work.

So I'm telling Hagbard Celine to be better, to recognize that his number is a stupid thing to say after Stiglitz actually showed evidence supporting his point of view.

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Don't you need 67 senate votes to remove?

Dammit, don't burst my bubble!  

That would be a bridge too far, even if the Democrats were in charge and made the voting secret.  So a few decent Republican (I know) could vote their conscience without repercussion.

Edited by Bullneck

30 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

What is this, grade school?

Hugo Stiglitz listed out the evidence for why Trump's base was at most 25%, supported by evidence

Hagbard Celine yelped, "Nope, I'm sticking with 37%," right after staring Hugo's facts and supporting evidence in the face.

The mental disease that causes people to support Trump is not a Conservative disease. Nor is it limited to Trump supporters. It's called Cognitive Bias, and everyone suffers from it, because it is how our brains work.

So I'm telling Hagbard Celine to be better, to recognize that his number is a stupid thing to say after Stiglitz actually showed evidence supporting his point of view.

I was reacting more to your sentence structure than your point. Carry on.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Doesn’t Bob Woodward have an obligation to stop me from callously lying about the pandemic and endangering all of your lives?   Boy, you people should really be mad at Bob Woodward for the way I behaved.  

repeating here later in the day for anyone just getting tuned up.

best take of the day anywhere imho, from a surler.

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Bolded the problem you will have.  If you have been paying any attention the last 3 years (maybe longer) the American people are morons.  The ones that watch Fox News are brain washed morons.  We are a country of fat, drunk and stupid John "Bluto" Blutarskys minus the coolness and humor of John Belushi.  I would get your passports ready if I were you.  

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bolded the problem you will have.  If you have been paying any attention the last 3 years (maybe longer) the American people are morons.  The ones that watch Fox News are brain washed morons.  We are a country of fat, drunk and stupid John "Bluto" Blutarskys minus the coolness and humor of John Belushi.  I would get your passports ready if I were you.  

The good news is we'll find out for sure in less than 2 months if that level of stupidity has overtaken the necessary number to keep any semblance of democracy afloat for even the very short term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i called 37% as the idiocracy number months ago and in other forums so i'll stop talking to myself now

back to fear and loathing

I mean, 40% of voters in this country are going to vote for Trump.  This isn’t a new phenomenon with historically awful Presidents.  Herbert Hoover got 39.7% during the worst part of the Great Depression running against FDR.  We have been a partisan divided country for as long as anyone can remember.  

However, I’d argue there is a difference between the demoralized Trump voters and the enthusiastic cult Trump supporters, but it’s nominal at this point. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

unless it's about "biden's america."

If only trump had jumped up and down over and over again we might have been able to contain the virus. Alas, he chose not to jump up and down and jump up and down and instead decided to just lie his ass off to everyone and do absolutely nothing. Good plan.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If only trump had jumped up and down over and over again we might have been able to contain the virus. Alas, he chose not to jump up and down and jump up and down and instead decided to just lie his ass off to everyone and do absolutely nothing. Good plan.

stick with what got you there, I suppose.

repeating here later in the day for anyone just getting tuned up.
best take of the day anywhere imho, from a surler.
That was his reason for using Chinese steel on his properties - you all didn't stop me. It's 100% his brand to do something shitty and blame his behaviour on people not reigning in his behaviour. Of course when people do; he's a victim and gets to whine. Pure Id
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Clearly, dotard is deeply concerned with not inciting panic.

That’s also a point he made in the 2016 debates. He’s so fucking superficial and stupid that he thinks just saying the phrase “law and order” means that there will be less crime...like it’s the waving of a fucking magic wand. And like-minded superficial dickheads really fall for this prepubescent nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

However, I argue there is a difference between Trump voters and the cult Trump supporters but it’s nominal at this point. 

Nominal is right.  The best of Trump's voters in 2020 will let you or one of your family member's be killed by a virus so they can have have a pro haircut, get a tax break, own an arsenal, live in a vastly white neighborhood, avoid a dilution of their power, maintain their privilege or otherwise enjoy any of the various perks that a Trump presidency might beget them.

These people are just as transactional as he is.  Their decision tree is a straight line consisting of two nodes:  Trump benefits me -> vote trump.  Who else might suffer or even die as a result of his horrific failed leadership is not part of their calculus because they are as just as devoid of empathy as Trump is.

I don't care about how many 2020 Trump voters fit the definition of "cult member".  That's completely irrelevant.  I care that they are all a direct threat to my family and I regardless of their individual motivations in voting for him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

That’s also a point he made in the 2016 debates. He’s so fucking superficial and stupid that he thinks just saying the phrase “law and order” means that there will be less crime...like it’s the waving of a fucking magic wand. And like-minded superficial dickheads really fall for this prepubescent nonsense.

Also no different than the days of "Why wont the dems say Radical Islam?!!" 

• Like 1