Strength training from home

iodeac

Could really use some help with trying to do some strength training from home, right now I play tennis and run a lot but at 41 I'm really starting to feel like my body is constantly fighting back.  All I have right now are some 10 lb dumbells, some resistance bands, and some kettlebells of 5,10,and 15 lbs.  I don't mind spending more money on some more dumbbells but can't really afford or have the space for a huge setup in my house. 

Any ideas for a good routine I could do maybe 20 minutes a day would definitely be appreciated.  Anything else I can buy relatively inexpensive?  Dick's had some 25 lb dumbbells for about $30 apiece if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the advice, definitely feeling like I'm totally lost regarding where to start.

Onnit has a great series of 6 week at home work out programs: kettlebell, mace, bodyweight and durability.  I've done the first three and can't recommend them highly enough. 15-20 minute warmup, 20ish minute high intensity workout and a 15 minute cool down.  Unless you're a manlet, I'd recommend a 35lb/16k kettlebell 

Contrary to what the resident couch burner thinks, bodyweight exercises are legit.  They're obviously not going to build muscle like free weights, but for engaging your muscles and developing motor control across multiple planes, they can't be beat. 

On March 10th or so when I saw the writing on the wall I bought an adjustable bench, the Selectech adjustable dumbbells, a step and some resistance bands from Amazon. I only have a very small area in my basement but I have been getting by with the above using a paid app called Bodbot. I tried Fitbod but did not like it. 

If you really want to engage in strength training than bodyweight exercises is not the direction you should go. If you just want to condition yourself to be able lift your own body than sure have at it.

For strength training, compound lifting with barbells is the best option. If you are desperate than some modified lifts with dumbbells can be done but you will need dumbbells that get progressively heavier.

Currently with the closing of gyms weight sets for the  home are hard to find. Still, you might be able to find some "beginner" sets for several hundred dollars that you can do compound lifts with but you run the risk of maxing out after a certain amount of time. Not necessarily a bad thing, 300 pounds being too light to workout with would be a good problem to have.

Anyways, for strength training look into the Starting Strength program. https://startingstrength.com/