Annual LHN Hate Thread 2020 edition

Eggo

I have all my TV needs met by Hulu + Live including Disney+ and ESPN+, and Netflix. All needs, that is, except for the fucking Longhorn Network. Normally this would not bother me because classic games and interviews usually end up on Youtube, but 1-2 weekends a year I am irrationally angry. 

Fuck the carriers and fuck Longhorn Network. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I have all my TV needs met by Hulu + Live including Disney+ and ESPN+, and Netflix. All needs, that is, except for the fucking Longhorn Network. Normally this would not bother me because classic games and interviews usually end up on Youtube, but 1-2 weekends a year I am irrationally angry. 

Honest question, why don't you ditch Hulu and ESPN+ and get Sling (orange+blue+dvr is like $65/mo)? 

While you're at it, ditch the kid(s) and Disney+

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yes you are irrationally angry. These days there are a million ways to get LHN, many of them “free”.

Currently I’m doing YouTube tv and I also got a free month of Sling so I’m trying it out. Getting LHN from them for now and when I have to I’ll get a login from one of the olds in my family that still has cable.

I’ve also had good luck streaming LHN from 123tvnow to my iPad to my tv. This isn’t complicated.

heck, if I keep youtubetv and sling and add in my internet provider, I’m still saving 80 dollars a month from when I had cable 

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Andre Ware doing the color (no racist) for the game Saturday.    

Not sure what happened to Brooks but he's arguably worse than Galindo.  It's 1A and 1B probably.

https://506sports.com/ncaaf.php

Andre Ware fucking hates The University of Texas...why in the fuck would LHN hire him for anything??? He's a fucking prick...top 5 bust in nfl draft history too. Fuck him

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Andre Ware fucking hates The University of Texas...why in the fuck would LHN hire him for anything??? He's a fucking prick...top 5 bust in nfl draft history too. Fuck him

its like UT admin wants us to hate them...don't know who signed off on Ware but JFC if they want to bring the hate  they have a great candidate. I guess Barry Switzer and Mark May were unavailable.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Not arguing that he wasn’t a bust, but he might not even be the biggest bust Cougar High QB selected between 1990 and 1992...

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Not arguing that he wasn’t a bust, but he might not even be the biggest bust Cougar High QB selected between 1990 and 1992...

They were both terrible, colossal bags of suck in the league. Ware only played in 14 games in his career, Klingler 33. 

Fuck both of them and Cougar High in general 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NAVY said:

I got you fam

http://123tvnow.com/watch/longhorn-network-espnlhn/

It's been up all summer. Hopefully they won't get shut down game day

I'm sure there will be plenty of streams to be found. 

10 hours ago, Eggo said:

Interesting, I was thinking about getting ESPN+ just for the game this weekend, if I couldn't find a good stream. This would seem to indicate LHN is part of ESPN+. 

image.thumb.png.27d5eda7a4d2d8a15753056888ed03ca.png

Is that not the case? 

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Interesting, I was thinking about getting ESPN+ just for the game this weekend, if I couldn't find a good stream. This would seem to indicate LHN is part of ESPN+. 

Is that not the case? 

It is and is not. If you have hulu or yttv, even a purchase of espn+ will not grant you access. Your cable company of choice must carry it for you to access it.

4 hours ago, SDG said:

Thanks for the annual reminder to verify my ESPN app.

For those who don't have the option this link has been pretty consistent: http://123tvnow.com/watch/longhorn-network-espnlhn/

edit; it looks like the link still works.  

You're a savior. Wasn't about to dig through frontrowsports links or reddit links just to end up with malware. 

4 hours ago, SDG said:

Thanks for the annual reminder to verify my ESPN app.

For those who don't have the option this link has been pretty consistent: http://123tvnow.com/watch/longhorn-network-espnlhn/

edit; it looks like the link still works.  

I admit the following seem's airtight

DISCLAIMER: 123tvnow.com is not in anyway associated with any sites. We do not host any videos on 123tvnow.com itself. 123tvnow.com is absolutely legal and contains only links to other third party websites like Youtube, Google, Dailymotion,… and many more which actually host videos. 123tvnow.com is not responsible for the compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content of other linked sites. If you have any legal issues please contact the appropriate media file owners or linked hosting websites. 123tvnow.com only and only provides links to third party video hosting sites which videos are uploaded by third party users. 123tvnow.com in no way affiliated with them nor intend to do that.

Sorry Disney....did you read our disclaimer? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Nearly halfway through this 20 year contract. Don't think it will be extended if I had to guess. 

Why not? It makes money and the overhead is minimal at this point.

But if it isn't that is fine to if they let UT take it over and run it which was the original plan anyway.

18 hours ago, Eggo said:

If you have Hulu+Live TV, then you should have access to the LHN via the ESPN/ WatchESPN app via Apple TV, Roku, etc.

can someone else confirm this?

I also think they have a free trial.

Sling now carries it and / or also allows access via the espn app too. Again would need Someone else to confirm.

i don’t believe FuboTV has it

ATT Now doesn’t 

Youtube TV also seems to not carry LHN either.

Could be wrong, but this should be a jumping off pt.

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

If you have Hulu+Live TV, then you should have access to the LHN via the ESPN/ WatchESPN app via Apple TV, Roku, etc.

can someone else confirm this?

I also think they have a free trial.

Sling now carries it and / or also allows access via the espn app too. Again would need Someone else to confirm.

i don’t believe FuboTV has it

ATT Now doesn’t 

Youtube TV also seems to not carry LHN either.

Could be wrong, but this should be a jumping off pt.

Correction; ATT Now has access through the espn app which is how I’ve watched it the last few years.   

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

Is that not the case? 

Not sure this will work.  

I went to the espn app on my roku and found the game,  but when I clicked it said it was "blacked out in my area".

Plz post if you get it to work.

I read an interesting piece that discussed OU's PPV game this weekend. The article (below) mentions a facet of the Big 12 conference network/ T3 issue I hadn't heard before:

"Back in 2008, when just about every Power 5 conference began exploring the viability of a conference-owned network (the B1G Network launched in ‘06), the Big 12 schools decided they wouldn’t be following suit unless the launch was done in collaboration with one of the league’s existing media partners. So, when Fox and ESPN decided not to participate (together the two networks inked a 13-year, $2.6 billion deal with the conference in ’12, taking on more Tier 1 and Tier 2 inventory in the process), they returned the schools’ Tier 3 rights (including the one football game); games and events that were not going to otherwise receive airtime (as they’re the conference’s least desirable/valuable games/events)." [NOTE: emphasis added]

So (supposedly) in 2008, the impetus for UT launching LHN was to monetize T3 rights after the conference members (ostensibly including TAMU, CU, Corn, and Mizzou) jointly agreed to give then-existing media partners the right to launch a conference network and the media partners declined to create a conference network.

Only then did Deloss approach Bill Byrne at A&M and asked them to partner on what become LHN (which A&M declined because they were broke and didn't have the money to cover any potential launch costs.

Texas gets blamed for "destroying the Big 12" by launching LHN when it was a joint decision of the entire conference membership that created the condition where Deloss was left with no real choice other than to move in a direction that resulted in LHN.

Also, how much do people wish conference networks were allowed to show high school games? Let's not forget how misguided objecting to broadcasting those games was.

Fox Sports to Keep PPV Buy Revenue, But OU Clearly Benefiting from Unique Broadcast Arrangement

When the University of Oklahoma (OU) takes the field tomorrow night against Missouri State, the only way for Sooners fans to see the game will be to tune into SoonerSports.tv (the school’s digital network) or purchase the pay-per-view broadcast through a participating cable, satellite or telco provider. Pay-per-view distribution is nothing new to OU supporters. For the last 20+ years, Fox Sports has sold one home Oklahoma football game as a PPV event (i.e. tomorrow night’s PPV broadcast has nothing to do with any revenues lost to the Coronavirus pandemic). But with the broadcast network entitled to keep 100% of the revenue generated from PPV buys, it’s fair to wonder how OU benefits from the unique broadcast arrangement (beyond monetizing their portion of the commercial advertising inventory). Athletic Director Joe Castiglione explained that the proceeds generated from PPV sales of the ‘retained game’ help Fox Sports fund its relationship with the school (think: lucrative annual rights fee payment) and the game serves as “the impetus [for the school] to get many more events on television; it’s the motor to [the OU] institutional network.”

Our Take: To understand why the ‘retained game’ (the one home football game Big 12 schools retain the broadcast rights to) is critical to SoonerSports.tv’s existence, one should understand how the member institutions regained the rights to it in the first place. Back in 2008, when just about every Power 5 conference began exploring the viability of a conference-owned network (the B1G Network launched in ‘06), the Big 12 schools decided they wouldn’t be following suit unless the launch was done in collaboration with one of the league’s existing media partners. So, when Fox and ESPN decided not to participate (together the two networks inked a 13-year, $2.6 billion deal with the conference in ’12, taking on more Tier 1 and Tier 2 inventory in the process), they returned the schools’ Tier 3 rights (including the one football game); games and events that were not going to otherwise receive airtime (as they’re the conference’s least desirable/valuable games/events).

Without a conference-wide network, Big 12 schools were left to monetize the Tier 3 rights they clawed back on their own. Some sold them to Learfield/IMG College, while others did deals with a local RSN; Texas, in a joint venture with ESPN, launched Longhorn Network (a linear cable channel). Oklahoma went another route. In partnership with Fox Sports, the school launched a subscription-based digital network (SoonerSports.tv) and made the ‘retained game’ its primary draw. There was just one catch: Fox Sports wanted to continue offering the ‘retained game’ via PPV, as they had been doing for years. Castiglione explained, “[Fox Sports] developed what they saw as a very good return [on those games] and [the ability to hold onto those PPV rights] likely figured into their decision to become our media partner in SoonerSports.tv.” In other words, there was no SoonerSports.tv without allowing Fox Sports to continue cashing in on the ‘retained game’.

While Fox Sports will reap all of the PPV buy revenue generated this weekend, it’s not as if Oklahoma will come away empty-handed. A pair of sources familiar with the terms of the joint venture suggested Fox Sports pays OU between $5 million and $10 million annually for rights to the ‘retained game’ and the balance of the content they carry from SoonerSports.tv (+/- 1,000 hours). OU also benefits from the exposure Fox Sports provides on both a regional (Fox Sports Southwest) and local basis (Fox Sports Oklahoma)—the networks carry SoonerSports.tv programming in-market—and the school keeps nearly all of the revenue generated from the digital network (which has +/- 8,000 out-of-market subscribers). From an academic standpoint, SoonerSports.tv gives OU’s journalism students fertile training ground to hone their skills.

For comparison purposes, one media rights consultant, who asked to remain anonymous as he/she works with schools in the league, suggested there are Big 12 programs that are only able to command $700,000 or $750,000 for the broadcast rights to their retained game. So, while not an apples-to-apples comparison (because OU is including the balance of their Tier 3 inventory in the deal with Fox Sports), it’s not unreasonable to suggest that the rights fee Oklahoma receives—which doesn’t exist without the rights to the retained PPV game—is multiples greater than what their competition receives. It should be noted that as of 2018, with the launch of the Big 12 digital network on ESPN+, there is now a viable way for all member schools to monetize their Tier 3 rights.

Considering the significant revenue gap, it’s fair to wonder why other Big 12 schools have not chosen to follow OU’s path. The media rights consultant explained that direct-to-consumer digital distribution is just not a viable strategy for most universities. “OU can do it because they’re good enough at football and big enough nationally [from a relevance perspective], that they can command subscriptions and PPV buys (which incentives Fox Sports to participate),” they said. “UT aside, the rest of the schools in the conference—their content is not that premium.”

One can certainly understand why fans would be less-than-pleased to shell out $54.99 (or $79.99 for an annual subscription to SoonerSports.tv) for the right to watch OU steamroll a cupcake (and why 32K fans concurrently viewed an illegal Twitch stream of the Oklahoma/Army PPV game in 2018). But as Castiglione said, “It’s one of the underpinnings of creating SoonerSports.tv. It was our thruway to TVs everywhere.”

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2020/oklahoma-university-ppv-institutional-network-1234612994/

• Hook 'Em 1