Texas Guv: Reduce/Change Police Funding? Lose Annexation Powers, Annexed Areas can "Dis-Annex", Also: Texans Should Sign a Pledge to "Back the Blue" (No CR)

atomheartbevo

First:  Fitlump is splooshing over this, and making sure everybody knows she supports it.  If you find yourself supporting a cause Fitlump is pushing, go fucking question your priorities.  She's pretty much TexAgs in human form.

Second::  Don't come in here with your political hot takes and then claim this should be in CR because you tried to make it CR.  Go make your own fucking thread in CR if you want to post political hot takes (and feel free to link it in this thread).  This is absolutely a current event that affects a shitload of people directly and indirectly, regardless of their political affiliation, so don't be a fucking snowflake about it.

Spoiler

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/gov-greg-abbott-launches-pledge-to-oppose-police-defunding/

Gov. Greg Abbott announced another legislative proposal Thursday in an attempt to thwart cities from taking steps to “defund police.” 

Abbott explained that his latest plan would mean cities that defund police departments “will forever lose their annexation powers, & any areas and any residents that have ever been annexed by that city in the past will have the power to dis-annex them from the city.”

He added that this would leave Austin in particular “no choice” but to restore funding to its police department. He also used the event to call on leaders and those living in the state to sign a pledge to “Back the Blue.”

Do I think it will happen?  It's fucking 2020, and while the legislature only meets once every two years, which means this technically couldn't happen until 2021, it's still insane that we are being asked to sign pledges to back the police after everything that has happened, and that cities are being told they cannot change up their funding.

But just imagine if all of the areas that Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio have ever annexed could "dis-annex" themselves.

Austin's annexed areas since 2014:

https://www.austintexas.gov/page/approved-annexed-address-ranges-2014

I've had to explain to a shitload of relatives around Texas that we haven't magically taken $150 million from the police department, that we moved departments such as forensics and internal affairs out of APD, that APD had no business managing (apparently most people were not aware of the massive forensics scandal APD went through three years ago, that made the national news, but apparently not Texas news), or that we've moved groups to where they better fit, among other things.

Oh, and it's not like we were short-changing our police

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

As far as Abbott's plan goes, is there a difference between defunding and a budget cut?

I'm just confused on the logistics. If a city's finances changed and required budget cuts, do they lose the annexations and future ability.

To get around this do you implement a budget freeze and rarely increase the funding?

I'll admit I don't shit about city level finances, but what does general fund specifically represent? Does that mean that $0.40 cents of every $1 in planned spending in the City of Austin budget is allocated to the police?  

Never mind I found my answer: https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-city-council-approves-fiscal-year-2019-2020-budget

Edited by Blotto

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Misrepresenting something someone said is even more cloakroomy. 

O you...here is the exact quote, please tell me how it’s misrepresented.

Ifyou find yourself supporting a cause Fitlump is pushing, go fucking question your priorities.  She's pretty much TexAgs in human form.

Again--this is never going to get through the Legislature.  For one thing, Democrats are likely to control the House, and they're not going to go for it.  But even if the Democrats don't gain control of the House, there's not going to be any interest in this session to pursue this.  This session is going to be consumed by the budget and redistricting.

And even in the best of times, and even if we assume that this were a legislative priority and not a political stunt, Abbott is the worst governor in two generations at getting his legislative priorities through the Legislature.  He's going to need legislative approval and he doesn't have the votes.

Such a blunder; sometimes it makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I can’t wait until I have to sign a pledge that I will not boycott our Israeli police force before the state pays me money. 

This.  State leadership is getting really good at purity test-type stunts, and even shittier at actually governing.  In fact, there's a pretty direct correlation -- the dumber the stunts, the shittier the governing they're trying to distract from.

They've got a budget shit-sandwich to eat this year.  They should focus on that.

• Like 1

I don't really care whether this is a good or bad policy because I love seeing people eff with Mayor Steve Adler, who's a dipshit that is not only crooked but also incompetent, as evidenced by his inability to deal effectively with the homeless issue among fifty other failures.  He's a total tool and Austin deserves better.

3 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I haven’t read it yet (and will probably dislike it) but framing this as “If you agree with this you’re fitlump jr or texags” is pretty fucking cloakroomy (No CR)

I shouldn't have started it off that way, but I've read her twitter feed.  You could come up on fitlump getting the shit beat out of her on the side of the road, for no reason at all, by some crooked cops, and the cops could be yelling "look at us, we are beating this woman for no reason", and if you started filming and calling 911 and reporting that an innocent woman was being assaulted by police for no reason, she would start screaming at you to stop, because it's not fair that you are trying to get those cops in trouble.  She would be asking you why you hate the police, and would you please sign the pledge to "back the blue".

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, Continental Op said:

There's been a thread about fitlump in the daily texan forum for a long ass time. If that not CR then how is mentioning fitlump in another thread CR?

Snowflakes needs their safe space. If that thread gets reported I’m sure it’ll be here within minutes. 

Abbott is going to get wrapped around his own axle during the upcoming session.

This is going to be a huge budget-cutting session.  Absolutely everything is going to be cut because revenues are getting hammered as a result of the pandemic and lower oil prices.  Education, higher education, health & human services--fucking everything is going to get cut.

Which brings us to the DPS.  Is Abbott going to refuse to cut DPS's budget while at the same time education is taking draconian cuts?  I mean, we wouldn't want to defund the police.

And--so that you remember--DPS's budget is hugely bloated with very high salaries that Abbott and Perry instituted to recruit more troopers to secure the (already very secure) border.  If there's one state agency that could use some budget cutting, it's DPS.  But, I mean, . . . you can't defund the police, right?

So yeah--Greg Abbott is going to be out there leading the charge to huge education cuts while refusing to cut any money from DPS.  That's going to be a great look.

• Hook 'Em 3

I find myself once again longing for the good old days when aggy Rick Perry ruled the state. 

I guess I should have seen it coming though. It’s not every day you meet a guy who gets a 10 million dollar settlement for being a dumbass having a tree fall on him while jogging in a lighting storm,  then goes on to support tort reform. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Ghost of LL said:

And even in the best of times, and even if we assume that this were a legislative priority and not a political stunt, Abbott is the worst governor in two generations at getting his legislative priorities through the Legislature.  He's going to need legislative approval and he doesn't have the votes

Seriously who is worse than Abbott, ever? I think he’s the least effective, worst Texas governor ever. Which is quite an accomplishment looking at the list.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Seriously who is worse than Abbott, ever? I think he’s the least effective, worst Texas governor ever. Which is quite an accomplishment looking at the list.

Bill Clements' second term. But Abbott is gunning for his place in history. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I told a friend recently that if someone had told me back around 2010 that someday I'd be willing to have W back in the White House and Rick Perry back in the Governor's Mansion, I'd have laughed myself into a coma.  But here we are.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Bill Clements' second term. 

Take away the SMU scandal (which external to his performance as gov) and he’s better than Abbott. 

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I told a friend recently that if someone had told me back around 2010 that someday I'd be willing to have W back in the White House and Rick Perry back in the Governor's Mansion, I'd have laughed myself into a coma.  But here we are.

I would make Rick Perry Governor for life over Greg Abbott.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1