Hill Country

gsoda3

Anyone been to Llano/Fredericksburg/Kingsland in the past week?  How are the wildflowers, have they started considerably dying off?  Planning on taking out of town visitors who've never been but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the trip for wildflowers.  Might just go to Fredericksberg for the day instead.

Anyone been to Llano/Fredericksburg/Kingsland in the past week?  How are the wildflowers, have they started considerably dying off?  Planning on taking out of town visitors who've never been but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the trip for wildflowers.  Might just go to Fredericksberg for the day instead.

Paging@chitwood

We were in Fredricksburg last weekend.  Didn't do any of the wildflower loops, but they were pretty decent on the drive out there.  Maybe drive out there, see what it looks like on the way and decide once you get to F'burg on whether you want to drive more or just hang out there.

That's what I normally do. I'll take kind of a scenic route to Fredericksburg. Go past Johnson City on 281, then go left on 1323. It'll become apparent how good the wildflowers are pretty quick, and there are some lovely twists and turns on that backroad anyway. If you're not impressed, just follow 1320 back down to 290. If it looks nice, keep on it and it'll backdoor you into the Willow City Loop.

I went to our place in Hunt,Tx for Easter.  They flowers were just coming out.  There is a place on the right between Johnson City and Fredericksbug that grow them.  Acres.. 

It was beautiful.  We didn't stop.  That seems like wine country now. A new winery is opening up all the time.  It seems like the peach community is dying.   (My grandmother bought the place by Mo Ranch in the 40's and I have been going since I was a kid.)

We take the boys to the Oldest Rodeo is Texas every year.

My nephews have had great times riding the Muttons.

I went to Camp Stewart for years and was a Counselor.  Great times out there.

Edited by BNB

My hunting partners were filling feeders and turkey hunting at our place north of Fredericksburg last weekend.  Said the flowers very decent to very good in most spots.

Traffic was pretty heavy all around so be prepared for that....may have died down some by this weekend but maybe not.  Said the line at Coopers was as long as they've seen it...multiple snakes back and forth outside the bollards along the building at that was after 1pm.    They went to Laird's instead.

Even if the flowers are past peak, a bad day out there is better than a good day most places...especially if your friends have never been.