So, can we have a male pattern baldness thread

Gil Bang

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Post-coitis last evening, the GF is running her fingers through my hair, and says "your hair has more grey, and less hair than it used to have" or some similar bullshit.

Mid 50's here.   I'm not bald, but yeah, I suppose it's thinning.  Any Rogaine bros here?

Fuck dude, just be glad it didn't start in your 20s.  If you start looking like a mangy dog, shave it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nah, I'm gonna fight it, or die trying.  

I'm doing a little self-reflection.   I ALWAYS swore that I'd never dye my hair.  I have blonde hair (MASTER RACE MOTHERFUCKERS    j/k).   I guess that everybody I know has noticed that it's more grey than blond for a long time now.   

I've gone with the "fuck it, I don't care if it's  grey, I'm happy to have hair" thing.   

Now, maybe I don't have as much hair.  

So, I'm willing to drop a few bucks to keep what I've got, if it works. 

• Like 1

I think some of those products work for people. But it can only stop it not reverse it. I wouldn’t want to put a bunch of chemicals on my head everyday .

Shaved mine years back , probably would keep it that way even if it grew back. Not having to mess with hair is nice

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Fuck, mid 50's here, and have always had "hair like Stalin", full, and lots of it..  It's greying more, and more, and I have no issue with that, but it's also starting to thin a bit on top... that I cannot abide.  I actually have nightmares about being bald.. A man has got to have some vanity, and it's the hair for me.  

I've started looking around at the options out there to stave it off, and maybe get some back (if that's really possible).  Seems like Rogaine, and Hims have been the two I've seen reported with the best results.

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Post-coitis last evening, the GF is running her fingers through my hair, and says "your hair has more grey, and less hair than it used to have" or some similar bullshit.

Mid 50's here.   I'm not bald, but yeah, I suppose it's thinning.  Any Rogaine bros here?

Dude, you got laid.  Who cares what your hair looks like.  Buncha metrosexuals up in here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Mid 50's? FOH with that noise. I'm mid 30's and my forehead just keeps on growing. Told my wife to let me know the second it starts to look ridiculous, which I expect to be any day now. Then I'm buzzing it and not looking back. To say I'm not a little insecure about it would be a lie, but not insecure enough to put a bunch of chemicals on my head every day, or spend a bunch of money.

I want to hijack the thread and talk tips for buzzing it. I don't want the razor, cueball look, was thinking something more like a 1 guard all over. How do y'all do it without getting hair everywhere? What about the sides and back?

• Hook 'Em 1

50 here. To each their own but cutting my hair shorter and shorter has been great. Basically down to no guard or the lowest guard on the clipper.  I haven't gone to shaving my head yet mainly that I don't want to start that level of maintenance. 

I tried rogaine and propecia, separately, back in the 90s but I didn't like the side effects and I realized that I didn't want to be tied to a daily pharm routine. FYI, for propecia I started to have a lower libido and that wasn't acceptable in my 20s. A doc said that was most likely temporary but no thanks. I dropped it and everything went back to normal within a month or so. I never could recognize whether either worked for me in terms of stopping the hair loss.

Don't get me wrong I would take my 18 year head of hair over this but I don't spend a second worrying about it.  

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Mid 50's? FOH with that noise. I'm mid 30's and my forehead just keeps on growing. Told my wife to let me know the second it starts to look ridiculous, which I expect to be any day now. Then I'm buzzing it and not looking back. To say I'm not a little insecure about it would be a lie, but not insecure enough to put a bunch of chemicals on my head every day, or spend a bunch of money.

I want to hijack the thread and talk tips for buzzing it. I don't want the razor, cueball look, was thinking something more like a 1 guard all over. How do y'all do it without getting hair everywhere? What about the sides and back?

I just started doing a 1 guard all over since the quarantine started and I didn't want to go out to get a haircut. Just stand in the middle of the bathroom. Hop in the shower as soon as you're done and then quickly sweep the floor. Nice and easy.

With a one guard, doing the sides is pretty easy. Just bend your ear and shave around it. The only tricky part is shaving the neck hair. But just get your wife to do and it'll take her 30 seconds.

7 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I just started doing a 1 guard all over since the quarantine started and I didn't want to go out to get a haircut. Just stand in the middle of the bathroom. Hop in the shower as soon as you're done and then quickly sweep the floor. Nice and easy.

With a one guard, doing the sides is pretty easy. Just bend your ear and shave around it. The only tricky part is shaving the neck hair. But just get your wife to do and it'll take her 30 seconds.

Good point. She's got a lot of experience finishing me off in 30 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I've gone with the "fuck it, I don't care if it's  grey, I'm happy to have hair" thing.   

That's been me.  I've been going gray for 10+ years, and now I think anyone who saw me would say my hair color is officially "gray".  But I have plenty of it.  

spacer.png

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I take finasteride every day. I think I started when I was 22. Like someone said upthread, it doesn't reverse anything, but I do think it's helped keep it at bay. 

It's relatively cheap and easy to get. I think I pay just shy of a dollar a pill. 

Same here.  Started in my late 20s - it has stopped the baldness progression. I wish I would have started sooner.  Never had any side effects.  

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I got really drunk one weekend at Port A about 12 years ago and let a friend shave my head.  My only regret has been that I didn't shave it sooner.  It's extremely liberating to not worry about what your hair looks like, or to waste time every day washing it, etc.

So you've just given up on life ??? : )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catpfish said:

No guard everywhere.  Just do it outside and don't worry about the hair.  Started losing it in mid-20's and early 50's now.  Been using the shaver for over 20 years and have no regrets at all.

This is me, except I started losing it at 40 or so, been shaving for 10 years. I'll go to a barber and get a real shave if I have a funeral, wedding, or graduation to go to.

Bald is awesome.

Started seriously thinning late 20s.  Considered the rogaine/propecia route and decided I didn’t want to be doing that for the rest of my life.  I’ve been a skin at the bottom half fade to #1 on top since about age 35.  Bruce Willis and Jason Statham got nothing on me.  It looks nice and clean and takes minimal maintenance.  Once you own it, you’re free.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

When you are 20, you worry about how you look.

When you are 40, you stop worrying about how you look.

When you are 60, you realize nobody ever really cared how you look.

-Mark Twain (maybe?)

Kind of sounds like Jackie Kennedy.

Mid 50s and thinning?  Yeah, fuck you and the horse you rode in on, dude.

I started thinning in my late 20s.  Rogaine, for me, stopped the hair loss, but didn't make anything come back.  Luckily it bought me enough time to get married and have normal hair in my wedding photos.  

The worst period was late 30s when it was mostly bald on top but before I took the plunge and shaved the head.

Here's my late 30s look:

Pointy-haired_Boss.png 

And here's really close to what I looked like after I started shaving the head

brucewillisbalda.jpg

Top of my head thinned out a bunch years ago. Regulary take clippers to my head with the #1 guard.  Six months ago, started using Nizoral shampoo and taking saw palmetto. Both supposedly reduce DHT. I have hair growing back on the top of my head again, and went from using the clippers every two weeks to every week. Plus, I piss like a racehorse thanks to the saw palmetto. 

peeing season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, Gil Bang said:

No pics of this alleged girlfriend,  no advise.

I don't know if it's Covid-19 and the fact that I haven't gotten a proper haircut in over 6 months...but wife says I'm starting to finally recede a bit above both temples.  I have noticed more hair falling out when I shampoo or comb, but I chalked that up to my hair just being longer than it has been since I was in junior high (30+ years), so it was thinning itself out.  Plus stress of changing firms during pandemic.  I guess I sorta see what she's talking about but I just figure it's due to the hair around there longer so it's more pronounced.  I dunno, if I break down and get a proper haircut in October (which I'm planning to do), I guess I can make a more educated observation.

Anybody else, because of haircut shortages and stress, feel like they just started thinning out during Covid-19?  Otherwise, my hair is thicker and more lush than it's been in decades.  I'm probably ~20% grey overall if I had to estimate.  At age 44.  But this starting to worry me.  I've been using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo for 25 years.  My father died with a full head of hair, albeit almost powder white.  My grandfather died in his early-to-mid 90's with probably about the same amount of hair as I have now.  I wore my hair one simple, short way from about age 20 to age 40.  Then at 40, I started wearing it a little longer with a more pronounced part.  Where I part it, it does feel like it's a little bit peeled back from my forehead now...more than it used to be.  But again, it's markedly longer and I can't tell if that's the reason.  I dunno.  

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Started shaving my head when I was 17. Noticed I was losing it around 22 or so. Kept shaving it. Make hair vanity doesn’t make sense to me, but I have never cared about that kind of stuff anyways. I haven’t bought shampoo since Clinton was in office.

Damn serpent worshippin' skin heads !!!!!!!

If I wasn't bald I'd have to cut my hair.  Starting thinning at about 30, by 35 it was very noticeable and since I've just gone super short, like a #2 on the sides.  Bald is sexy, especially if the alternative is a combover or a toupee.  I know a couple of guys who wear them and I don't get it - it's really obvious.

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

If I wasn't bald I'd have to cut my hair.  Starting thinning at about 30, by 35 it was very noticeable and since I've just gone super short, like a #2 on the sides.  Bald is sexy, especially if the alternative is a combover or a toupee.  I know a couple of guys who wear them and I don't get it - it's really obvious.

Bald is sexy ?  My dead grampy would be very pleased to hear that.

Yeah, toupees, and comb overs are very lame.  I'd go shaved, but only if I had to. In term of sexy: 1 hair (and it's not even close), 2 bald, tie for 3rd comb over or toupee

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

I have noticed more hair falling out when I shampoo or comb, but I chalked that up to my hair just being longer than it has been since I was in junior high (30+ years), so it was thinning itself out.

Losing your hair is just a phrase. Guys going bald don’t have hair falling out faster than anyone else. Slowly individual hairs just stop growing back for them.

I started losing it at 18.  By the time I graduated UT I was full-on receding.  I've cut it shorter and shorter, now in my 40's, if I let it grow I'd have a horseshoe look, not good.  I have a trimmer that I use w/o a guard (a zero?) and do it about every 2-3 days.  Basically shaving w/ less maintenance.  I look back at photos of my in my late 20's and 30's and wonder why I didn't start that earlier.