Auto emergency preparedness

GottaB

I got a flat tonight. It sucked. I’ve had flats before and I’ve changed a flat in the roadside before.

I had a 4 way tire iron which made removing the lugs easy. The problem: the Honda supplied scissor jack sucked ass. It took to long to raise, it sunk into the ground. And my the jack worked it’s way out while using the tire iron twisting motion to raise the jack a little higher after the tire was off sending my car to the ground.

What do you have in your car that you feel is a must have for easier emergency management.

I already had:

Fixaflat: it was a gash.

Tire repair kit: useless in this scenario.

Inflator: again useless here.

Flashlight: going to get a headlamp to help.

Blanket: grass was wet, this helped. Going to get a waterproof tarp to put under blanket in the event of wet grass next time.

Crappy scissor jack: thinking of getting a pneumatic lift or a bottle jack. Also going to keep a metal plate to put under the jack in case I am on soft turf again.

Gloves: great call on this as that jack was a bitch on the hands.

Water: could have been an issue if I were further out of town.

Map: I had this.

Rain coat: came in handy to block the wind.

Before long, everything will have runflat tires, so you won't have to worry about any of this, but you will have to pay $250+ for a replacement tire.

Good times.

And, the lightweight spare/jack kits that have come with cars for a while now, for the same reason runflats will take over (weight) suck ass.

Edited by TwiceHorn

In the 2500HD, I keep a 3 ton floor jack in the crossover box. plus various sized 2x4 and 2x6s either to drive the flat upon for jack clearance or put on the jack to make up height distance.   The Jeep has a bottle jack and same boards.  I use a 1/2" breaker bar and appropriate socket for busting off the lug nuts. You get move leverage. The corvette is call some one.

2 hours ago, GottaB said:

Until then, any suggestions on a jack that doesn’t suck that I can keep in the trunk?

Scissor jack that is just better than the one provided or a stubby bottle jack? I doubt I’d want to keep a trolly jack in the trunk.

I am kind of wrestling with the same problem, as runflats have a horrible ride and handling and I would like to replace them.

A 12V compressor and tire plugs seem to be sort of a consensus.  And AAA. I'm not willing to go to a spare.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Within the hour?

Not long ago I was driving back to Austin and just a little north of Waco when we came across a big board that gave several people flats. My wife called Audi roadside care and they said it would be several hours to get someone our so I just changed it and went on our way.

First time using one of those space saver tiers so that was interesting but it did the trick. We did have the baby and formula but no extra water. Had a cop roll up and give us a few bottles but it was grape flavored :(

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

One of the small jumper boxes as well. Small as book, and can jump the vehicle several times by itself. Set an alarm twice a year to check charge level. Can also charge phones in an emergency. 

Those are cool very cool.

I married a gal whose mom and stepdad own a transmission/total car care repair shop.  What can I say, I'm committed.

There's a reason most mechanics run a tab with Snap-On.

Edited by BearSchlong

I work in the field, sometimes in very remote places (ranches in S and W Texas, state wildlife areas, etc). In my work truck:

full size spare

full size jack

compressor

winch

cattle guard/deer slayer

guard on back window

first aid kit with epi pen, antihistamine pills, tourniquet, and defibrillator

jumper cables

battery buddy starter thing

quite a few tools

extra gas tank (which I'm supposed to keep full except for emergencies)

big ass flashlight

satellite phone

i also carry

work boots

gloves

extra 2.5 gallons of water

couple of power bars

snake chaps

big as straw cowboy hat for sun protection

small flashlight I can clip on my hat brim

head lamp

blanket

In my and wife's daily driver, I just carry normal donut spares and normal shitty jack (they work for what they should be used for), jumper cables, and a flashlight (which is probably not there right now or whenever I will need it because either my wife or daughter has taken it out for some reason and not put it back).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I got a flat tonight. It sucked. I’ve had flats before and I’ve changed a flat in the roadside before.

I had a 4 way tire iron which made removing the lugs easy. The problem: the Honda supplied scissor jack sucked ass. It took to long to raise, it sunk into the ground. And my the jack worked it’s way out while using the tire iron twisting motion to raise the jack a little higher after the tire was off sending my car to the ground.

What kind of Honda? Unless it’s an SUV, even a small bottle jack may be too tall.

A 2’ piece of 2x6 probably would have solved your problem. Did you put the jack in the right spot? Usually there’s a notch that will help prevent the jack from twisting.

a cell phone and insurance coverage

Yep. Had a cell phone and USAA. But the first persons they tried to send called and when I told them about the jack issue they said they wouldn’t touch a car that had slipped off a jack. The second person took three hours to get there. And I was in Kyle.

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

What kind of Honda? Unless it’s an SUV, even a small bottle jack may be too tall.

A 2’ piece of 2x6 probably would have solved your problem. Did you put the jack in the right spot? Usually there’s a notch that will help prevent the jack from twisting.

This, plus in addition to the 2x6, a couple same size pieces of 3/4” rubber horse stall mat like you get at tractor supply are ideal for either putting the jack on or sticking under the tire if you’re stuck.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

I got two flats on my boat trailer last weekend. Both flats happened about an hour apart headed to LBJ last weekend. The tires were about eight years old which apparently is way past the life span. Made a few calls and got a mobile tire repair out with new tires at 10pm on Friday night of Labor Day weekend! That set me back a few $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSB: Driving from Houston to Austin on game day. Flat tire on I-10 just shy of Columbus. Jumped out and changed it NASCAR fast with another Surly poster. Jumped in car and resumed trip. Already had three voice mails from passers by saying, “Yo, Bernard. Was that you I just passed? Call me if you need a hand.” No help needed. #bosslife

Bernard

• Like 1

In the ram 2500 I have a tool box, flash lights, army folding shovel, jumper cables, cigarette lighter (in case I have to make fire), pieces of 2x4 & 2x6s, tow straps x4, and bungie's . Then I carry an array of fluids, oil, tranny, dif and coolant and an extra serpentine belt.

When I tow, I also bring a floor jack. So far those items have given me enough freedom to either fix what happens or get me to a place where I could fix it.

On 9/11/2020 at 5:17 AM, GottaB said:

Until then, any suggestions on a jack that doesn’t suck that I can keep in the trunk?

Scissor jack that is just better than the one provided or a stubby bottle jack? I doubt I’d want to keep a trolly jack in the trunk.

Nm.  somebody else addressed it.    Happy motoring.

Edited by slorch

Accord. Yeah. I’m not sure if even a low profile bottle jack would have worked.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:34 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Before long, everything will have runflat tires, so you won't have to worry about any of this, but you will have to pay $250+ for a replacement tire.

Good times.

And, the lightweight spare/jack kits that have come with cars for a while now, for the same reason runflats will take over (weight) suck ass.

And you better hope you are close to a repair shop who can replace the tire and not out in the sticks like in the middle of the Big Bend or you will be paying a towing company as well.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

AAA is like 60 bucks a year and are usually out to you within the hour.

I've kept mine from shitty vehicles to nice vehicles, just for peace of mind.

You can just hang out in the car while they do their thing.

I don't need a husband with them.

Peace of mind has cost the world more money than actual usage of roadside plans. When a sales person starts using peace of mind as a reason to buy something, I stop the conversation right then.

If you live and drive 99% of the time in the city, AAA is a waste. Don't run out of fuel, don't wait if you recognize if your car is starting to have a problem and know how to change a tire or battery. If you car is stuck at a safe location, take an Uber home and then create a plan. And if your car needs a true repair, almost any shop within a reasonable distance will tow it for "free." 

In Houston, if you have a flat tire on the freeway, there is a free service that mimics AAA. Tire changes, fuel, jump start, etc. All paid with taxes via Transtar. Dial 713-CALL-MAP (713-225-5627) https://www.houstontranstar.org/about_transtar/callmap.aspx

If you frequently travel in the middle of nowhere especially many places, perhaps AAA is worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you live and drive 99% of the time in the city, AAA is a waste. Don't run out of fuel, don't wait if you recognize if your car is starting to have a problem and know how to change a tire or battery. If you car is stuck at a safe location, take an Uber home and then create a plan. And if your car needs a true repair, almost any shop within a reasonable distance will tow it for "free." 

i don't know if it's actually saved us $$ compared to doing it ourselves, but AAA comes in really handy when our batteries die and we're on a road trip or in a place it'd be really inconvenient to take the battery out, hitch a ride, go to a store, and get a new one.  they come out pretty quickly to you.  45 mins is the longest i've ever waited.  their prices are good and they have good warranties.  

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i don't know if it's actually saved us $$ compared to doing it ourselves, but AAA comes in really handy when our batteries die and we're on a road trip or in a place it'd be really inconvenient to take the battery out, hitch a ride, go to a store, and get a new one.  they come out pretty quickly to you.  45 mins is the longest i've ever waited.  their prices are good and they have good warranties.  

I don't disagree but do you frequently have batteries die on you especially during road trips? I would address the problem why that is happening. I've definitely had batteries die but it usually happens in my garage since that is where I attempt to start my car 50% of the time.

I was never implying that AAA is a scam or they make you wait forever. I believe they do what they say. 

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't disagree but do you frequently have batteries die on you especially during road trips? I would address the problem why that is happening. I've definitely had batteries die but it usually happens in my garage since that is where I attempt to start my car 50% of the time.

I was never implying that AAA is a scam or they make you wait forever. I believe they do what they say. 

we've had batteries die twice on road trips, been locked out of car by our dogs once while filling up, had multiple tires run over nails once, gotten stuck in mud on my hunting lease once (that one was a mess), and have had batteries die or fail 6 times that i can remember but they were either at home or work.  still really convenient for them to come to me so i could go on doing what i was doing while waiting.  this is all over 15 years.

CSB: Driving from Houston to Austin on game day. Flat tire on I-10 just shy of Columbus. Jumped out and changed it NASCAR fast with another Surly poster. Jumped in car and resumed trip. Already had three voice mails from passers by saying, “Yo, Bernard. Was that you I just passed? Call me if you need a hand.” No help needed. #bosslife
Bernard

Truckers are known to look out for their favorite lot lizards.

I am kind of wrestling with the same problem, as runflats have a horrible ride and handling and I would like to replace them.
A 12V compressor and tire plugs seem to be sort of a consensus.  And AAA. I'm not willing to go to a spare.

This. 1000x. I have a 12v compressor and a plug kit + also AAA. I will try to plug it first if Im at a safe location. Otherwise I will wait my ass for AAA to show up and put on the spare.

So my car battery died. Jumped it, worked for the night. Dead again in the morning.

Went to go buy a new battery, and the new one isn't turning my car on either (but there is a charge; clicker still works, lights turn on, car does not)

Thinking about having someone come out to take a look at it tomorrow. 

Any tips or recommendations on who to call for this?

this is a WTF thread.   Are you motherfuckers living in 1967?   

Batteries just don't die.  They warn you. Over and over.   Tires are better than ever.   Properly-maintained cars don't overheat.  

I don't carry shit, except for factory equipment.  I maintain my vehicles, I keep good tires on them and maintain the air pressure , I have the batteries tested every few months, I service the radiators, change belts and hoses at recommended intervals, etc. 

Either you guys don't fix shit until it breaks, or you are a bunch of doomsday prepper assholes.  

Jumper cables?  for real?    

Meanwhile, @Brisketexan I'm sure that you'll agree that the "mexican funeral procession with only 1 set of jumper cables" joke is pure gold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bought two of these for our cars.  I've had to use it a couple times and its worked great.  No more asking someone for a jump.  Plus it gives me peace of mind when my wife takes the kids somewhere.   

hook it up to your battery and it works like a charm.  

battery seems to hold a charge for months so far.  

This has been one of the best purchases I've made in the last couple of years. 

617PHkqaA0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

this is a WTF thread.   Are you motherfuckers living in 1967?   
Batteries just don't die.  They warn you. Over and over.   Tires are better than ever.   Properly-maintained cars don't overheat.  

I don't carry shit, except for factory equipment.  I maintain my vehicles, I keep good tires on them and maintain the air pressure , I have the batteries tested every few months, I service the radiators, change belts and hoses at recommended intervals, etc. 
Either you guys don't fix shit until it breaks, or you are a bunch of doomsday prepper assholes.  

Jumper cables?  for real?    

Meanwhile, [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] I'm sure that you'll agree that the "mexican funeral procession with only 1 set of jumper cables" joke is pure gold. 

Seems like whenever my batteries die- they die all of a sudden. Usually at the beginning of summer every 3 years. What should I notice to warn me?

How do you service your battery’s every few months?

It says "tested", not serviced.   Any oil change place or decent auto parts store can do a battery test, and it's almost always free.  

In my case, I was playing the radio in my truck for a half hour or so, and went I went to start it, it turned over a little slow.  So, the next day I had it tested, and it was bad.  So, I replaced the mofo immediately.