Auto emergency preparedness

GottaB

On 9/11/2020 at 12:32 AM, GottaB said:

I got a flat tonight. It sucked. I’ve had flats before and I’ve changed a flat in the roadside before.

I had a 4 way tire iron which made removing the lugs easy. The problem: the Honda supplied scissor jack sucked ass. It took to long to raise, it sunk into the ground. And my the jack worked it’s way out while using the tire iron twisting motion to raise the jack a little higher after the tire was off sending my car to the ground.

What do you have in your car that you feel is a must have for easier emergency management.

I already had:

Fixaflat: it was a gash.

Tire repair kit: useless in this scenario.

Inflator: again useless here.

Flashlight: going to get a headlamp to help.

Blanket: grass was wet, this helped. Going to get a waterproof tarp to put under blanket in the event of wet grass next time.

Crappy scissor jack: thinking of getting a pneumatic lift or a bottle jack. Also going to keep a metal plate to put under the jack in case I am on soft turf again.

Gloves: great call on this as that jack was a bitch on the hands.

Water: could have been an issue if I were further out of town.

Map: I had this.

Rain coat: came in handy to block the wind.

Perhaps stack floor mats underneath if there is no other choice. Also carry headlamp, knee pads, jumpers, and small basic toolkit. As was mentioned in the thread, make sure factory jack is placed in recommended spots so it doesn't slip out. Carry cheap OBD bluetooth code reader and associated phone software (torque) at all times.

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Seems like whenever my batteries die- they die all of a sudden. Usually at the beginning of summer every 3 years. What should I notice to warn me?

How do you service your battery’s every few months?

That usually happens when it starts to get cold in the fall.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Fuck You 1

i usually notice the car hesitates to turn over just a little bit when the battery is just about shot. 

i got tired of the autozone replacement treadmill (seems like the batteries get more expensive each year and the warranties worse to the point where the prorated warranty isn't a warranty at all) and got an interstate at costco.  no, they don't test or install.  but i can do that for the $70 i saved. 

• Like 1

i usually notice the car hesitates to turn over just a little bit when the battery is just about shot. 
i got tired of the autozone replacement treadmill (seems like the batteries get more expensive each year and the warranties worse to the point where the prorated warranty isn't a warranty at all) and got an interstate at costco.  no, they don't test or install.  but i can do that for the $70 i saved. 

I did the exact same thing this last time. Battery was like half the price and can’t be any worse then the others. Will see how it goes. The ones I was buying before went out like clockwork every 3 years and this has happened on various types of cars

AAA is worth it. It doesn't even have to be your car for them to come out. Comes in handy when you know dumbasses who lock their keys in their car. 

They rock when your battery dies. Last time they replaced one a few years ago, it was $99 with a six year warranty. 

8 hours ago, Updawg said:

Seems like whenever my batteries die- they die all of a sudden. Usually at the beginning of summer every 3 years. What should I notice to warn me?

Batteries definitely can and do die all of a sudden. Plate physically fails inside, cell shorts out, remainder of cells gradually bleed down to match voltage, and next morning no start. My mom's last 2 Benz batteries did that, from perfect to unjumpably dead overnight.

They can also do the opposite and die slow, lingering deaths from sulfation. I've nursed 'weak' batteries on for months. Not having cold weather helps a lot.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:32 AM, GottaB said:

I got a flat tonight. It sucked. I’ve had flats before and I’ve changed a flat in the roadside before.

I had a 4 way tire iron which made removing the lugs easy. The problem: the Honda supplied scissor jack sucked ass. It took to long to raise, it sunk into the ground. And my the jack worked it’s way out while using the tire iron twisting motion to raise the jack a little higher after the tire was off sending my car to the ground.

What do you have in your car that you feel is a must have for easier emergency management.

I already had:

Fixaflat: it was a gash.

Tire repair kit: useless in this scenario.

Inflator: again useless here.

Flashlight: going to get a headlamp to help.

Blanket: grass was wet, this helped. Going to get a waterproof tarp to put under blanket in the event of wet grass next time.

Crappy scissor jack: thinking of getting a pneumatic lift or a bottle jack. Also going to keep a metal plate to put under the jack in case I am on soft turf again.

Gloves: great call on this as that jack was a bitch on the hands.

Water: could have been an issue if I were further out of town.

Map: I had this.

Rain coat: came in handy to block the wind.

My God, your grammar is horrible.