Wise County DA Drops Murder Charge Due To DNA Evidence

RPM

So multiple times throughout shaggy/surly history there have been stories about "____ county sherrif/da/judge" doing something sketchy or plain evil, and the surly lawyer types always chime in with "well yeah, THAT county! of course, they're all f'd up"

I seem to remember threads like that with Bastrop county, Wilco, Wise, and I'm sure others that I am forgetting.

So for all you lawyer types who seem to know these things, which counties in Texas AREN'T totally f'd up???

19 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ve struggled to try and figure out a better way to have prosecutors, not subject to a political vote.  Not an easy answer there.  

Start with the absolute immunity being tossed.  Unfortunately, I think the Supreme Court said it's okay for them to have absolute immunity, even if they are lying/disregarding evidence on purpose.

Things have gone too far with prosecutors and police.  Most of us work in jobs where, if we deliberately fuck up, there are Big Fucking Consequences to be had.  The military has an extremely tight leash on a lot of things for people in positions of authority - put 20 years in the Navy, get command of your own ship, sext with a married woman who is not your wife, boom, your command is done.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Which implies no connection to the victim. Which implies a compulsion which implies a likelihood of serial offender.  So good thing the SO isn’t still investigating. 

I'm glad your thought process went there. I've been so jaded about law enforcement lately that I figured someone in the sheriff's dept. or someone they're friends with did it.

Just read one of the motions that contained a lot of background facts. Coincidence is real.  The victim, the defendant and the defendant's wife were in a sexual relationship.  They were all partying the night of the murder.  Defendant gets angry, believing his wife has a greater affection for the victim.  Victim has to get in-between them to stop argument.  Defendant kicks both of them out the house, tells wife to never come home and then puts all wife's clothes on the porch. Victim and wife then go to victims house and party.  Victim wants wife to spend the night with her, but wife decides to go back home to defendant.  Victim murdered hours later. Innocent guy arrested.

Oh yeah, the Wise County Sheriffs Office is a toilet.

Wise County DA's office also a toilet.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Start with the absolute immunity being tossed.  Unfortunately, I think the Supreme Court said it's okay for them to have absolute immunity, even if they are lying/disregarding evidence on purpose.

Things have gone too far with prosecutors and police.  Most of us work in jobs where, if we deliberately fuck up, there are Big Fucking Consequences to be had.  The military has an extremely tight leash on a lot of things for people in positions of authority - put 20 years in the Navy, get command of your own ship, sext with a married woman who is not your wife, boom, your command is done.

Your post reminded me of the Baltimore cop that got caught videotaping himself planting evidence. 

9 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

So multiple times throughout shaggy/surly history there have been stories about "____ county sherrif/da/judge" doing something sketchy or plain evil, and the surly lawyer types always chime in with "well yeah, THAT county! of course, they're all f'd up"

I seem to remember threads like that with Bastrop county, Wilco, Wise, and I'm sure others that I am forgetting.

So for all you lawyer types who seem to know these things, which counties in Texas AREN'T totally f'd up???

Well, it's the ruralish counties.  The "suburban" counties, near big cities, tend to be worse than the actually rural ones.  They're also a big reason our elected politicians are who they are.