Is This The BSOD That Cannot Be Recovered From?

ROFL BOX

Stop Code: WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

[Princess]Please help me, computer people of Shag²... you're my only hope.[/Leia Organa]

Don't be throwin' me none a that "Magic 8 Ball" crap - give it to me straight, Doc. Am I gonna die?

dc18b0c42ec0629470b967357eedc823.jpg

Inspiron 5481, Win 10, purchased Nov. 19. Refurb. Been a fucking hassle notebook since day 1. Out of any potential warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Not the best news. That ID tag is curious. At least, I think that's what it is. Two things.

One: You're never supposed to turn off a machine while it's in upgrade. I have seen an upgrade take an hour, and sometimes your machine looks hung. Don't turn it off if you ever think that might be what's going on. Next reboot you should get diagnostics automatically. That might tell you what's going on.

Two: If you can't salvage the HD, yYou can get a new one for $40. There's a site where you can download windows which will recognize your machine so you won't be charged. You will likely be able to hook your hard drive to an external unit which will allow you to download most of the files from it. You might have to freeze it in a zip loc bag.

I've used this power source in the past. https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=external+hard+drive+power+supply&qid=1599955399&sr=8-5

There might be something better now that Externals are USB powered.

• Like 1

Not the best news. That ID tag is curious. At least, I think that's what it is. Two things.
One: You're never supposed to turn off a machine while it's in upgrade. I have seen an upgrade take an hour, and sometimes your machine looks hung. Don't turn it off if you ever think that might be what's going on. Next reboot you should get diagnostics automatically. That might tell you what's going on.
Two: If you can't salvage the HD, yYou can get a new one for $40. There's a site where you can download windows which will recognize your machine so you won't be charged. You will likely be able to hook your hard drive to an external unit which will allow you to download most of the files from it. You might have to freeze it in a zip loc bag.
I've used this power source in the past. https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=external+hard+drive+power+supply&qid=1599955399&sr=8-5
There might be something better now that Externals are USB powered.

I have an external HD that I use for backups on my work folders, goes back around 14 years or something like that.

My last backup was around 3, maybe 4 weeks ago & I obviously have some more recent stuff I need to recover.

Gonna try a Win 10 safe mode thing & see what happens with that... flying the Space Shuttle without any actual training.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This thread will walk you thru the process

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/684315/diagnostics-says-its-the-hard-drive-what-are-my-options/

btw, you can use robocopy thru task scheduler to backup everything important on an hourly, daily, or weekly basis. You never have to worry bout losing your data again - until your external goes out.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this happen 2 times on 2 different laptops. After the first time I realized it was after a Windows update. I repaired the boot thingymajiggybopper with a bootable windows USB drive. Did the same after the 2nd time.

Now when I update Windows, I watch the reboot process. If it hangs up for any amount of time in initial boot up screen, I hard shut down the computer by holding down the power button. Then hitting power button again and it boots up fine.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So, whatever happened with this?

I was @ a Troop meeting 2 Tuesdays ago & one of the Scouters is in I.T.

Booted up in safe mode, looked @ 1 or 2 things - nothing obvious, apparently.

Turned off & back on, * P R E S T 0 / Poly Razz-Matazz! *

Have had it go stupid 2x since then but nothing a restart didn't apparently fix.

I still hate my Open Office problems that cause the program to shut down mid-operation.  I have to do multiple saves as I am working along to prevent a loss of work.

44 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I was @ a Troop meeting 2 Tuesdays ago & one of the Scouters is in I.T.

Booted up in safe mode, looked @ 1 or 2 things - nothing obvious, apparently.

Turned off & back on, * P R E S T 0 / Poly Razz-Matazz! *

Have had it go stupid 2x since then but nothing a restart didn't apparently fix.

I still hate my Open Office problems that cause the program to shut down mid-operation.  I have to do multiple saves as I am working along to prevent a loss of work.

sounds like you have computer aids. it may be/probably is Open Office fucking up shit. I would uninstall and get something else, or reinstall to see if that fixes whatever ailed it.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

sounds like you have computer aids. it may be/probably is Open Office fucking up shit. I would uninstall and get something else, or reinstall to see if that fixes whatever ailed it.

There are known issues with Windows 10 & Open Office.  I don't know if this is MicroSoft doing bad shit to a freeware competitor or what, but for now, I just remember to save every 3 or 4 moves & do a backup to an external every day for my 2020 files & photos.

• 7 months later...

I had another BSOD event & this time, it was a lot worse.

I had been limping along for awhile & was able to grab (copy) my 2021 files before the total system meltdown occurred.  Discount Electronics ($ 75.00 just to diagnose) sent me to Flashback Data Recovery & these two screenshots are their summary:

image.thumb.png.bce4964e3b40b651827da915d3259600.png

- - - - - - - 

image.png.8bb14a7222c91ebd24e0daf418bba1eb.png

Based on that price, it is exclusively for the data extraction off of the HD.  I had a problem getting into the BitLocker & apparently that has been resolved.  I understand they do professional work & that has a value, but dang... $ 880.

I recognize that it's really the data... called Discount Electronics & they can probably get that swapped over for a max of $ 200... so for a savings of $ 680 I can get a good SSD in there & maybe some hookers / blow with the change.

Thoughts from the Shag hive mind?  I mean... Flashback did good for me so far, but I think to now what they HAVE done is help me crack the BitLocker / encryption & analyze the HD to see what the problems are (see pic 1 above).

I won't hang up, however I will listen.

I gave you a $12 solution in Post #3. You will have to disassemble the laptop, which is fairly simple using YouTube, to get the HD out. Even if your Hard Drive is corrupted, as long as it turns, you can probably pull all the files off it. Right now, it's just a big storage device. There is a free option, if you have a way to plug that drive into another machine: to wit:

I recently cloned a drive on my work desktop computer. Everyone should do this on a critical machine. Couldn't have been much easier. Opened the machine, disconnected the DVD player and plugged the plugs into the brand new HD. The computer basically sees it as an external drive. Macrum Reflect free version did the rest. Took a couple of hours. To finish up, I pulled out the original 500gb hd and plugged the cloned version, a 1TB $40 WD Blue in. The computer never knew the difference, except I now have an extra 500gigs of storage. (Amazon said it would take ten days to get the new drive, got it in two.)

Instead of spending $800, you can go to that outlet up on Anderson Lane and buy a used desktop for about $130, which is what I did about three years ago. Still running strong. Discount Electronics 1011 And Lane.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch