Texas Exes Alumni Verfication

Is anyone else receiving weekly postcards and emails from the Texas Exes asking to verify your contact info? JFC, you're contacting me practically every day why would I want to confirm my info so I might even hear from you more.  They probably will call more if I confirm.

Out of curiosity, I browsed their website to see what's going with them but I couldn't find anything of interest to me.  I have a life time membership but now I realize that was a waste of a grad gift that I received in '90.  The Alcalde usually goes directly from my mailbox to the recycle bin. I might open one issue per year. Maybe I attended 2 Houston happy hours in the 90s. Maybe if I went to games more often, I would get use out of it.

Does anyone value their Texas Ex membership?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

I called the number on the postcard. They are creating an alumni directory. All they confirmed was my name and email address and degree. Then they started a high-pressure sales pitch to get me to buy the directory. It was like $150 or something for the leather bound version. Avoid.

You in the who's who's of Texas Alumni. Only $150 to see your name in print. In all seriousness why would someone under 90 years old want a leather bound directory? 

They should be hitting up grandparents of recent alumni. My grandma has long passed but she would have been all about buying me an expensive directory that I didn't want. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is anyone else receiving weekly postcards and emails from the Texas Exes asking to verify your contact info? JFC, you're contacting me practically every day why would I want to confirm my info so I might even hear from you more.  They probably will call more if I confirm.

Out of curiosity, I browsed their website to see what's going with them but I couldn't find anything of interest to me.  I have a life time membership but now I realize that was a waste of a grad gift that I received in '90.  The Alcalde usually goes directly from my mailbox to the recycle bin. I might open one issue per year. Maybe I attended 2 Houston happy hours in the 90s. Maybe if I went to games more often, I would get use out of it.

Does anyone value their Texas Ex membership?

Got the lifetime membership as a graduation gift, too, and my wife, used it to get one on the cheap.  It's nice to be able to get into the alumni center to use the john and overpay for beer in the a/c before games (back before covid when I felt like going to games was a good idea).  My wife is pretty active in our local chapter, but I'm not sure you have to be a Texas Ex to come to those happy hours.

I've been getting emails and postcards about this thing for the better part of a year.  No, I will not dox myself to the TEx directory.

17 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I made the mistake of talking to these people so they'd stop bothering me. The directory was like 600 bucks. No thanks. I'm sure Lobo will get one; borrow his.

It's not the Texas Exes making the solicitation.  It's some bullshit third party they made the mistake of contracting with.  If you ask them to stop contacting you, they will.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not getting one.  I thought the partnership with the directory company was a mistake to begin with.  I can't even get into it or be an Exes member because i only went to UT for a 2-3 years.  

It's a shame too because the new online HookedIn platform is working well and enables you to also mentor students that are interested in your field.  It's a great way to give back while doing some peer-to-peer Longhorn networking as well.  But DaysOff won't be interested in that because it involves helping students.  

The shitty thing though that this thread casts light on is that some people may conflate this bullshit physical directory deal with the online HookedIn site, and the legit tool will suffer because of the shitty one.  

They are at least trying to update the "benefits" package.  Half of it was 20% savings on insurance and travel agencies and AAA.  Nobody under 65 was using those things.  The new coworking space and music tools are gonna be cool though.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's not the Texas Exes making the solicitation.  It's some bullshit third party they made the mistake of contracting with.  If you ask them to stop contacting you, they will.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not getting one.  I thought the partnership with the directory company was a mistake to begin with.  I can't even get into it or be an Exes member because i only went to UT for a 2-3 years.  

It's a shame too because the new online HookedIn platform is working well and enables you to also mentor students that are interested in your field.  It's a great way to give back while doing some peer-to-peer Longhorn networking as well.  But DaysOff won't be interested in that because it involves helping students.  

The shitty thing though that this thread casts light on is that some people may conflate this bullshit physical directory deal with the online HookedIn site, and the legit tool will suffer because of the shitty one.  

They are at least trying to update the "benefits" package.  Half of it was 20% savings on insurance and travel agencies and AAA.  Nobody under 65 was using those things.  The new coworking space and music tools are gonna be cool though.  

Texas Exes hurts their name and reputation when they work with bs 3rd party companies. Maybe they make some money in the short term but in the long run it makes them look bad. 

Agreed.  It's gotten less and less since the last turnover in Executive Leadership, but there's still some lingering deadweight.  I am biased, but some of the stuff coming down the pike in the next year or so are quite inventive in so far as no other alumni association of their scale has attempted them and they have real world applicability.  

I kind of suspected this was a third-party and not actually UT or Texas Exes.  

But, it seemed legit enough that I felt a little bad not responding.  However, I am quite certain the University has my contact information via my utexas.edu account.  I get birthday cards from Cockrell.

• 7 months later...

I only renew my membership when I come in for a game to get into the Ex center to make a few laps or when I buy a new car to replace the window Texas Ex sticker...  Got a new car - anyone got an extra sticker they haven't used and are willing to part with?  :)

• Hook 'Em 1

Or you could just pony up the $35 which helps fund scholarships for bright students. Also gets you the Vonlane discount code.  And some other cool stuff coming next year.