BIG is getting embarrassing

BurntOrange&White

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Should be getting into the beans by end of the week.

I don’t know what strain of corn you plant, but I’ve been getting sweet corn from a nearby farm for 4-6 weeks now.  They are probably laying down the corn maze right now. And we don’t exactly have an extended growing season up here. 

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know what strain of corn you plant, but I’ve been getting sweet corn from a nearby farm for 4-6 weeks now.  They are probably laying down the corn maze right now. And we don’t exactly have an extended growing season up here. 

My ex in-laws in Iowa never seemed to harvest corn until near about thanksgiving- never before Halloween. 
to be fair- he was usually the last one with his crop still in the field. 
The ex was a Hawkeye- thus part of my admiration and like of Iowa State. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My ex in-laws in Iowa never seemed to harvest corn until near about thanksgiving- never before Halloween. 

My ex was a cyclone, but I still like those goofy bastards anyway.  Haven't been able to stand the Hawkeyes since the Freedom bowl.  Plus Stoops went there.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We don't grow sweet corn.  96-110 day (time span it takes to mature) dent corn.  Used for ethanol or feeding livestock.  The (vast) majority of corn acres around the country serve these purposes.

There are people around here who grow it, but it's a much different business model and takes far fewer acres.

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There are a handful of farmers who do everything late around here and fall into that boat.  Our harvest usually starts in mid to late September and wraps up around Thanksgiving.  Last year, due to the wet conditions all year long (prevented corn from drying down to more efficient harvesting levels) it took us until a few days before Christmas to finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Why not just come out with it if the decision has been made?

Nothing about this process has been logical from the outside.  The Michigan Prez basically said he had bigger fish to fry than invest too much into this, until he realized the unexpected push back.  Crazy, but I can see it...  these guys are educational administrators not traditional CEO's.  Kevin Warren is the real culprit, he's the "Project Director" all parties are depending on.   Hey, if nothing else at least Warren has been consistent. 

Just now, DenverHorn said:

Nothing about this process has been logical from the outside.  The Michigan Prez basically said he had bigger fish to fry than invest too much into this, until he realized the unexpected push back.  Crazy, but I can see it...  these guys are educational administrators not traditional CEO's.  Kevin Warren is the real culprit, he's the "Project Director" all parties are depending on.   Hey, if nothing else at least Warren has been consistent. 

It reminds me of watching Dan Beebe 10 years ago.

I imagine when this is all over, Kevin Warren rolls up to a deserted beach in Mexico and finds Beebe, pickled drunk sitting in a lawn chair watching the ocean, and joins him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

We don't grow sweet corn.  96-110 day (time span it takes to mature) dent corn.  Used for ethanol or feeding livestock.  The (vast) majority of corn acres around the country serve these purposes.
There are people around here who grow it, but it's a much different business model and takes far fewer acres.

Ethanol is still a thing for farmers?

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It reminds me of watching Dan Beebe 10 years ago.

I imagine when this is all over, Kevin Warren rolls up to a deserted beach in Mexico and finds Beebe, pickled drunk sitting in a lawn chair watching the ocean, and joins him.

Pray for high tides in that case.  Amazing that these clowns continue to gain elite employment and successfully progress through there careers getting opportunities based upon "experience".

If you are interested you can watch the UM President and UM Provost take questions that have been submitted and are being asked by a Prof (and they say he is the only one who has seen the questions)
I give them credit for doing this in a public forum, this also means he isn't casting a vote about the football season while he is doing this

https://umich.edu/watch/

upper left is the President, bottom is the Provost

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The more this drags out indefinitely, the better.  Why not just come out with it if the decision has been made?

They want to have all their ducks in order to avoid the ad hoc shit show they pulled last month.   

It was obvious this was coming when they formed a "return to competition" committee.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

They want to have all their ducks in order to avoid the ad hoc shit show they pulled last month.   

It was obvious this was coming when they formed a "return to competition" committee.

It was coming as soon as the other major conferences didn’t kowtow and also cancel. There’s no way there would be a college football season that the big 10 didn’t take part in. I’m surprised the mwc and wac haven’t gotten their shit together to play as well. 
pac still doesn’t give a shit about football. 

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I guess I should say private farmers. I'm sure the corporate farms are doing it.

Plus I don't know many people/companies that use it. 

I'm not sure what you define as a "corporate farm".  What most people mean when they think "corporate farm" doesn't really exist.  Most farms, even those comprised exclusively of family members, are corporations.  This idea of a farm being headquartered out of a skyscraper in a big city with a bunch of mercenary employees 500 miles away isn't really a thing.  In my area, (and most of the country) the largest operations are almost always family businesses on some level.  There may be long time employees that have bought in or have ownership, but the "corporate officers" are often out there running equipment and working shoulder to shoulder with everyone else.  You could call our operation a corporate farm (it is technically a corporation) or a family farm (there are multiple generations of the same family with ownership interests and actively employed here) depending on your view of things.

Many states require X percentage of gasoline to be an ethanol blend.  It's not a forever market, but there are a lot of plants in the western Corn Belt, including 3 within 40 miles of our primary storage site.  It's a big market for us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not sure what you define as a "corporate farm".  What most people mean when they think "corporate farm" doesn't really exist.  Most farms, even those comprised exclusively of family members, are corporations.  This idea of a farm being headquartered out of a skyscraper in a big city with a bunch of mercenary employees 500 miles away isn't really a thing.  In my area, (and most of the country) the largest operations are almost always family businesses on some level.  There may be long time employees that have bought in or have ownership, but the "corporate officers" are often out there running equipment and working shoulder to shoulder with everyone else.  You could call our operation a corporate farm (it is technically a corporation) or a family farm (there are multiple generations of the same family with ownership interests and actively employed here) depending on your view of things.

Many states require X percentage of gasoline to be an ethanol blend.  It's not a forever market, but there are a lot of plants in the western Corn Belt, including 3 within 40 miles of our primary storage site.  It's a big market for us.

The hell you say! I was at the corporate farm headquarters just last week. Had some work I needed to do in the basement. In fact, the CEO rode with me to Home Depot to buy some wood.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

The hell you say! I was at the corporate farm headquarters just last week. Had some work I needed to do in the basement. In fact, the CEO rode with me to Home Depot to buy some wood.

We'll have the COO in a combine, the CFO in a grain cart, and the CEO running around making sure everyone has parts, lunches, and guys make it to the right fields.  At least one member of the Board of Directors will be running a combine too.

Bunch of big cigars behind their desks, I tell ya.

Of course, in all seriousness, smaller operations around here would probably call us a "corporate farm" because we have employees and owners that aren't family, we run a few acres, and have big equipment.  To some people, anything more than 500 acres and a few hogs is a corporate farm.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Casual people would define it as the corporation members have never gotten their fingers dirty and do some kind of lease or share-cropping deal to run it. 

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If the Surly Board of Investors were to buy farmland and hire you to manage/produce a crop. I would consider that a corporate farm.

Glad to see, that the family farm is still around. There is a nice sized ranch operation in my part of East Texas where some investors hired a couple of guys to run it. So that's where I got the idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, notre dame joe said:

Casual people would define it as the corporation members have never gotten their fingers dirty and do some kind of lease or share-cropping deal to run it. 

That doesn't really exist in the way it's imagined in many places.

Some of the land we farm is rented from wealthy people who live a long ways away that bought the ground as an investment and have no actual interest in farming.  We cut them a check to use the land, and that's the extent of their involvement.  But they just own land, not the farming operation.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This idea of a farm being headquartered out of a skyscraper in a big city with a bunch of mercenary employees 500 miles away isn't really a thing.

Maybe in corn.  But that's because of the jabillions of federal subsidy; pork, poultry and especially dairy cattle have absolutely been consolidated.  Your conference mates in southwestern Wisconsin would like a word with you.  Ethanol and HFCS were commercialized to prop up the corn system, and both feed the dead zone in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico from the nitrogen fertilizer (U-North holla).  Ethanol is sold to the public as a "pollution inhibitor" when in fact the only reason combustion engine pollution has decreased is due to technology advances made by the nips in the 80s and 90s to build high-mileage engines that could withstand the extra torture created by combusting 10% impure gasoline that uses ethanol to supposedly "oxidize" the combustion reaction to supposedly produce less pollutants.  There was a time when Detroit-built engines had a half-life of 50000 miles because of ethanol.  Where do you think the 50000-mile warranty came from?  HFCS is an evil chemical that kills, but i'll stand down without beating you up any further.  You didn't create the system.

Just think of yourself as the Walter White of the High Plains.

The feds say total corn production diverted to ethanol is 5%.  Scientific American says it's 40%.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-to-rethink-corn/

https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=https%3A//www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-to-rethink-corn/#sa_body

All that said I still like iSu more than anyone else in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brothahorn said:

If the Surly Board of Investors were to buy farmland and hire you to manage/produce a crop. I would consider that a corporate farm.

Glad to see, that the family farm is still around. There is a nice sized ranch operation in my part of East Texas where some investors hired a couple of guys to run it. So that's where I got the idea.

We'd call that a custom farming arrangement.  You do see that, but it's usually not a large corporation that owns the land. Rather a retired farmer that doesn't want to work anymore, but his accountant wants him to show an active operation.  That's still pretty rare in these parts.

You definitely see more pronounced corporate involvement in seed corn production.  There's little of that in my area, and we aren't involved, so I can't comment with any kind of accuracy.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We'll have the COO in a combine, the CFO in a grain cart, and the CEO running around making sure everyone has parts, lunches, and guys make it to the right fields.  At least one member of the Board of Directors will be running a combine too.

Bunch of big cigars behind their desks, I tell ya.

Of course, in all seriousness, smaller operations around here would probably call us a "corporate farm" because we have employees and owners that aren't family, we run a few acres, and have big equipment.  To some people, anything more than 500 acres and a few hogs is a corporate farm.

I take it you are the Senior VP of Public Relations, what with all your postings here....for which we are grateful, unless it means crops/equipment are not properly being tended

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Maybe in corn.  But that's because of the jabillions of federal subsidy; pork, poultry and especially dairy cattle have absolutely been consolidated.  Your conference mates in southwestern Wisconsin would like a word with you.  Ethanol and HFCS were commercialized to prop up the corn system, and both feed the dead zone in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico from the nitrogen fertilizer (U-North holla).  Ethanol is sold to the public as a "pollution inhibitor" when in fact the only reason combustion engine pollution has decreased is due to technology advances made by the nips in the 80s and 90s to build high-mileage engines that could withstand the extra torture created by combusting 10% impure gasoline that uses ethanol to supposedly "oxidize" the combustion reaction to supposedly produce less pollutants.  There was a time when Detroit-built engines had a half-life of 50000 miles because of ethanol.  Where do you think the 50000-mile warranty came from?  HFCS is an evil chemical that kills, but i'll stand down without beating you up any further.  You didn't create the system.

Just think of yourself as the Walter White of the High Plains.

The feds say total corn production diverted to ethanol is 5%.  Scientific American says it's 40%.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-to-rethink-corn/

https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=https%3A//www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-to-rethink-corn/#sa_body

All that said I still like iSu more than anyone else in the conference.

Who?  My school has never been in a conference with Wisconsin.

A lot of corn grown here goes to meat production.  HFCS:  use it in moderation.

And I'm quite aware of consolidation in the livestock industry.  Many people (mistakenly) believe that the same level of consolidation has occurred in grain production.  There is constant consolidation, but there are a lot of things that make the model from the livestock industry impractical for row crop production.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Just now, Wally Fairway said:

I take it your are the Senior VP of Public Relations, what with all your postings here....for which we are grateful, unless it means crops/equipment are not properly being tended

I will defend Al here. Harvest will start later this week. All that's happening right now is equipment prep and maybe logisitical arrangements. Of course that's more than farmers do most of the year. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I take it you are the Senior VP of Public Relations, what with all your postings here....for which we are grateful, unless it means crops/equipment are not properly being tended

CFO.  I'm at a desk a few hours a day during the summer, and all day during the winter.  This is my main internet distraction.  I've given up Facebook mostly and don't even post on Cyclone boards much anymore.

Damn tapa notifications make it real easy to post on the fly, too.

Equipment is being prepped by employees, I'm wrapping up a couple analytical projects, and supervising some clean up around the storage sites.  I try to have everything off my plate before I go live in a cab for 2.5 months.  Once harvest starts, it's 16-18 hour days (sometimes longer) unless it rains.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1