BIG is getting embarrassing

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Shaggybevo said:

I hope the Big 10 conference shares the detailed scientific data they used to make this decision, whatever it may be.

True or not, they will say they made their decision at a time when it took 7 - 12 days to get test results. Now, there are rapid test results, and you can do it several times a week with very quick turnaround. 

The Big 10 should have never made an official decision. They should have hit the pause button for a month. 

Edited by JFKFC

15 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

True or not, they will say they made their decision at a time when it took 7 - 12 days to get test results. Now, there are rapid test results, and you can do it several times a week with very quick turnaround. 

The Big 10 should have never made an official decision. They should have hit the pause button for a month. 

The last point is where most reasonable people would agree I’m assuming. Why the rush to such a final conclusion when you can just delay? Oh well, ultimately they are going to play which is great. 

It’s probably been said before but, wonder if the B1G and PAC 10 made their decisions base on the belief that they would be criticized as recklessly endangering the lives
of the athletes and fans by playing and confident in the belief that everyone else would surely follow their lead. Instead ACC, Big XII and SEC have all the attention and there’s thus far been no backlash, plus the advantage in recruiting and having their players get a freebie year of experience.

Any word on PAC 10 reconsidering?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

It’s probably been said before but, wonder if the B1G and PAC 10 made their decisions base on the belief that they would be criticized as recklessly endangering the lives
of the athletes and fans by playing and confident in the belief that everyone else would surely follow their lead. Instead ACC, Big XII and SEC have all the attention and there’s thus far been no backlash, plus the advantage in recruiting and having their players get a freebie year of experience.

Any word on PAC 10 reconsidering?

IMO, both expected the remaining Power 5 conferences to join them and when they didn't, they knew they said oh shit.  Proud of the other conferences to do their own thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

How are Forde, Mandel et al manage to script this story? I am curious to see what Big10 uses as decision making criteria to come back.

The Big10 was bullied/forced into coming back by peer pressure. #COVIDSHAMING

OR

They really wanted to be about the kids safety, but the networks and other conferences financially shamed them into playing. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The last point is where most reasonable people would agree I’m assuming. Why the rush to such a final conclusion when you can just delay? Oh well, ultimately they are going to play which is great. 

The Big 10 rushed to their final conclusion because they thought everyone else would follow. 

They do have some logic to their decision....it is a stew of some genuine health concerns & liability concerns, mixed in with a heavy helping of not wanting athletes on campus when everyone else is distance learning. This proves that football players are closer to being employees than students. 

34 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

The Big 10 rushed to their final conclusion because they thought everyone else would follow. 

They do have some logic to their decision....it is a stew of some genuine health concerns & liability concerns, mixed in with a heavy helping of not wanting athletes on campus when everyone else is distance learning. This proves that football players are closer to being employees than students. 

The only logic in their decision was the means they went through to exert pressure for everyone to join along. To the bolded part above, looks like you have missed the last 30 years.

I'm hoping they can't come to an agreement and the pac & big have to tell their fans it's someone else's fault...it always is. If they do reverse course, lots of Big gifts should go out to those Nebraska parents who made it happen by legally demanding details for decisions.

And then the hubris, insularity and self-righteousness that pervades academia came into play
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

They would have tried to play around the national guard. Global thermal nuclear war, or massive asteroid was only way they were being stopped.

Pretty sure that if the Alabama National Guard got called out, it would be so the bama games could go on, not to stop them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:
1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

And then the hubris, insularity and self-righteousness that pervades academia came into play

Yup.  Just another example of the elites and intelligentsia knowing better than all the rest of us rubes.,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So is it official yet or everyone going with sir yacht twitter accounts of the world?

not official yet
https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-football-remains-limbo-002617489.html

"The Big Ten might play football in 2020 after all. But as of Tuesday evening, no decision to reboot the season had been announced.  

Conference leaders are expected to approve an eight-game, nine-week schedule that could begin as soon as Oct. 17, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and other media outlets reported Tuesday. That would put the Big Ten championship game on Dec. 19, the day before the College Football Playoff field is scheduled to be revealed. There also remains a possibility the season could begin the weekend of Oct. 24. "

Talk about adding insult to injury!  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29892935/arkansas-state-postpones-game-vs-central-arkansas-due-covid-19

The Red Wolves upset Kansas State 35-31 on the road last week. Arkansas State was without nine starters due to a combination of injuries and COVID-19 during that victory.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Dammit. It was better when Nebraska and Ohio St were sitting on their thumbs. 

I was enjoying it.  Their fans were just so fucking sad around here.  I guess it could actually get better if they start too late and aren't given any real consideration for the playoffs.  

As to Brothahorn's 'what are they gonna say?' question... I'd guess they'll say they have more info and are able to make a decision to come back now...that part is true but they'll also toss in brand new capabilities to test/trace - which is likely bullshit.  Either way, the big 12 is (was) the worst run conference and even they kept saying 'every day you get more data to make a decision, so why force a decision too early?'.  If the dumbass 12 was able to figure it out, why did the mighty B1G fuck it up?  Probably because they hoped to force rest of the conferences to shut it down too and avoid shit like players negotiating for money/rights.  Next year every school would be on fumes for a budget and they could (truthfully) tell players, sorry, we are broke as fuck...let's get back on our feet and then we can chat about your money/rights (kicks can down the road).  

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know what strain of corn you plant, but I’ve been getting sweet corn from a nearby farm for 4-6 weeks now.  They are probably laying down the corn maze right now. And we don’t exactly have an extended growing season up here. 

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My ex in-laws in Iowa never seemed to harvest corn until near about thanksgiving- never before Halloween. 
to be fair- he was usually the last one with his crop still in the field. 
The ex was a Hawkeye- thus part of my admiration and like of Iowa State. 

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I guess I should say private farmers. I'm sure the corporate farms are doing it.

Plus I don't know many people/companies that use it. 

sweet corn is a lot different than field corn sweet corn is harvested in the 75% moisture range while the standard for #2 yellow dent field corn is 15.5% moisture and if it over that you can take a dock on price and possibly have drying charges (depending on how much higher the moisture is and how much your elevator likes you)

and ethanol is about 10% of the volume of fuel sold in a lot of areas it is blended in to cut pollution and the reality is the refineries like it because it is a cheap way to boost octane ratings especially with poorer quality crude oil

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Not a cat said:

If they expected the SEC to just give up football then I don't know what to tell them.  Big 12 and ACC maybe, but the SEC was going to play unless the national guard got called out to stop them.  That's just not understanding who you're dealing with.

"You must have never read a history book...We were fighting for our independence...no amount of US pressure would have ever stopped us."   -Vietnamese foreign minister to Robert McNamara, in 1995, decades after McNamara helped conduct a war in Vietnam.  (from Fog of War)

If the Money behind the newly appointed B1G commissioner thought Alabama and the southern states would willingly submit and commit cultural/economic suicide, then they've never visited SEC country.  

Edited by Monster
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I just want to hear from this little english challenged midget

The fuck is that douche crying about? Disrespectful to Kevin Warren?

Get the fuck outta here. His job is to do what the schools tell him to do. When several schools expressed that they were unaware a vote ever occurred, Warren should have immediately resigned. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

sweet corn is a lot different than field corn sweet corn is harvested in the 75% moisture range while the standard for #2 yellow dent field corn is 15.5% moisture and if it over that you can take a dock on price and possibly have drying charges (depending on how much higher the moisture is and how much your elevator likes you)

and ethanol is about 10% of the volume of fuel sold in a lot of areas it is blended in to cut pollution and the reality is the refineries like it because it is a cheap way to boost octane ratings especially with poorer quality crude oil

I'm not falling for all of this corn pop mumbo jumbo.  JFC, who would have thought El Chapo is running his Sinaloa Cartel via code on his Ipad from a supermax prison cell  through the Surly message board?

If we don't get an official statement from the Big Ten by 6pm EST tomorrow, I fully expect a news report that either Zach Smith has murdered Kevin Warren in a drunken coked up rage or that Warren himself is driving the loop in Chicago in a White Ford Bronco holding a pistol to his head.  This story gets better by the day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1