BIG is getting embarrassing

BurntOrange&White

18 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Ahh, that's fair. However, aggy didn't get there non-con schedule of crippled baby seals to play and non-infrequently struggle against, so even the baby seal clubbing game is diminished somewhat.

I've looked around the room and can't pick out the baby seal - aggy (being the baby seal)

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Why on Earth would they make the decision-- NOW-- that there will be no fans? By the time they start, they'll have 5-6 weeks of data to evaluate, from schools that DID have fans at their games.

They're making the exact same mistake they did previously.  There's simply no reason, at all, to make this determination now.  Go ahead and plan on having fans at whatever % occupancy your local/regional authorities will allow, and then if it looks like it's not working out elsewhere around the country, pull the plug at the last second.  It's just stupid to make a decision like this now, when there's absolutely no need to do so.

Just like it was stupid to announce no fall football at all, on August 13th,

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

Since no one in the country played a good non-conference game, an 8-1 or 9-0 Big Ten champ absolutely deserves a spot. This just eliminates the American champ even if they're undefeated. Big 12 champ (ahem) better have zero losses to be safe in the argument vs. SEC #2. But I honestly think the committee will go even harder for conference champs only, considering what all the leagues had to go through just to get the season going.

Also LOL another ethical dilemma for the AP poll...can we jump the B1G guys back in right away, or wait until they've actually taken the field?

16 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

There's not even a single week of slip built into this schedule. Wonder how many cancellations they'll see. I'm sure everyone will be satisfied when a 5-0 tOSU gets to play in the B1G CG over a 7-1 Penn State / Michigan.

12 minutes ago, Bartles said:

can we jump the B1G guys back in right away, or wait until they've actually taken the field?

they will have to.  how do you wait 5 weeks while a bunch of undefeated teams coagulate in the top 10 before tosu starts their murderer's row of:

maryland

Rutgers

indiana

illinois

purdue

northwestern

nebraska

which of those wins vaults them in to the top 10?  the top 5?  and once they get to 5-0 and the the acc/sec/XII start winding down how are they going to justify a win over 3-3 northwestern or 3-3 corn meriting a place of the undefeated and 1-loss teams in the acc/sec/XII ??

b1g goes in to the next poll.

21 minutes ago, B00M said:

There's not even a single week of slip built into this schedule. Wonder how many cancellations they'll see. I'm sure everyone will be satisfied when a 5-0 tOSU gets to play in the B1G CG over a 7-1 Penn State / Michigan.

that "1" in Penn State / Michigan's record will probably come at Ohio State's hands, so

In terms of playoff competitiveness, the Big Ten is Ohio State and 13 nationally irrelevant programs. the only thing that will keep Ohio State out of the playoff for the foreseeable future is if Ryan Day is prone to the kind of "meh, whatevs" coaching decisions that caused the Purdue and Iowa losses in 2018 and 2017. they looked like a program that had corrected its few Urban Meyer era weaknesses last year. 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

8 games in 8 weeks is a pretty bold move seeing all the postponements so far. 

Yeah, Wetzel’s assumption that rapid testing somehow makes 8 games in 8 weeks doable is pretty fucking stupid with what we’ve already seen around CFB. 

38 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Ok.  So one playoff spot (Ohio State) is now taken.  

Not necessarily. Michigan could still ....

de9f2df89dc78b7fdf4aee946e34c626.gif 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's going to be infuriating seeing Ohio State get set up with a patsy schedule and making it into the playoffs despite playing nearly a whole month less than everyone else.

It would likely be at the expense of OU or Texas and the XII is doing more harm than the B1G ever could.  Pathetic performance by a lot of our league.  And I like you guys.  But when you have one out of conference game and that shit happens, it’s ugly.  

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, Wetzel’s assumption that rapid testing somehow makes 8 games in 8 weeks doable is pretty fucking stupid with what we’ve already seen around CFB. 

Not necessarily. Michigan could still ....

de9f2df89dc78b7fdf4aee946e34c626.gif 

If the rapid test is positive you need PCR because it’s more accurate.  Unless they’re using some rapid testing that’s more accurate than I have seen.  So yes, it would be a trainwreck to try to get 8 straight weeks in without a bubble.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It would likely be at the expense of OU or Texas and the XII is doing more harm than the B1G ever could.  Pathetic performance by a lot of our league.  And I like you guys.  But when you have one out of conference game and that shit happens, it’s ugly.  

I am not sure either of us has the brand to carry a playoff bid under these circumstances. OU's reputation is "they kill the weak Big 12 and then get whipped in the playoff". Our reputation is "Texas is back HURRRRR". We really could have used a win over LSU. If either of us runs the table and our best win is over the other, we could be on the outside looking in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

QFT

They care. They need money.

The PAC 12 will play football but not until November, probably, and likely they will have their own Spring thing going on long after the national champion has been decided.

PAC 12 January after dark.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep. Now that tOSU is back in it, the last playoff spot is going to be Big 12 winner vs. second place from the SEC or ACC. I still think the Bug 12 winner will get in if they have one loss or less. A 2-loss champ versus a team who’s only loss is to Clemson or Bama gets a lot more dicey. With very limited OOC games, style points are going to matter a hell of a lot this year. OU and UT need to be not just winning but blowing out inferior opponents. 

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I am not sure either of us has the brand to carry a playoff bid under these circumstances. OU's reputation is "they kill the weak Big 12 and then get whipped in the playoff". Our reputation is "Texas is back HURRRRR". We really could have used a win over LSU. If either of us runs the table and our best win is over the other, we could be on the outside looking in. 

True.  This year I’m just happy we have football.  

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Nah. We are in a situation where teams that have not even played are moving up the Top 25 because there are so few teams. We are not going to be left out this year if we go unbeaten. Now one loss is something else.

Edited by Valmy77

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah, I don't disagree.  Remember when "data points" mattered?

But if the committee could actually engage in critical thinking skills they could realize that no other conference played non conference games.  You think Mississippi State and Virginia and Iowa weren't all capable of losing to a bunch of mid majors had they played last week?  I realize you get that, and the issue is with the committee that has made it their mission to bend over backwards for the Big 10 and SEC.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I don't disagree.

But if the committee could actually engage in critical thinking skills they could realize that no other conference played non conference games.  You think Mississippi State and Virginia and Iowa weren't all capable of losing to a bunch of mid majors had they played last week?  I realize you get that, and the issue is with the committee that has made it their mission to bend over backwards for the Big 10 and SEC.

Losses to Arkansas State, Louisiana and Coastal Carolina are death knells. Sorry. Doesn't matter what other conferences do or don't do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's going to be infuriating seeing Ohio State get set up with a patsy schedule and making it into the playoffs despite playing nearly a whole month less than everyone else.

Well they are playing 8 games vs our 10. One of our games is against a G5 patsy. And (no offense) part of our league appears to be G5 caliber. So I don't see a big SOS difference. What will make me mad is if tOSU is given a schedule of all the league's weaker teams. At least we are still playing a full round robin.

Just now, 'stache said:

Well they are playing 8 games vs our 10. One of our games is against a G5 patsy. And (no offense) part of our league appears to be G5 caliber. So I don't see a big SOS difference. What will make me mad is if tOSU is given a schedule of all the league's weaker teams. At least we are still playing a full round robin.

You know this is coming, right?

Their draws from the west are going to be Nebraska and Illinois.

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

An undefeated B12 Champion will earn a CFP bid...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  An undefeated Texas or OU is in.  Same as any other year.