BIG is getting embarrassing

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

That will be impressive with only 10 regular season games.

If Texas went 11-0 and lost the first-round CFP game to 2-0 Ohio State, and the Buckeyes went on to win the CFP at 3-0, then I suppose they'd be ranked ahead of us at season's end.  All of that seems pretty unlikely, but then again, this is 2020 we're talking about.

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

What does this even mean? There is no Mcnown on Michigan. 

Pretty sure he's trying to say that Cade McNamara is the backup at this point. Cade McNamara is pretty similar to Cade McNown. Cade McNown beat his name into every Longhorn fan's subconsious in 1997. Fuck this Freudian slip...

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah. There’s gotta be a minimum number of games played to be eligible. 8 is probably about right. But that could allow for super shenanigans by other conferences since they could make sure their top teams never have to face each other. Even with a conf championship game, you could probably manage to end up with 3 undefeated teams in one conference

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

But that could allow for super shenanigans by other conferences since they could make sure their top teams never have to face each other.

that's sort of a bird in the hand thing though-- the conferences want to maximize TV ratings because that drives TV revenue. I'm not sure it's worth more to the SEC to try to game the system and get Alabama, Auburn, and Florida all into the playoff (like I jokingly suggested above) at the expense of playing the Iron Bowl and SEC CG.

likewise, the Big Ten needs top-shelf inventory, so it's probably more likely to load Ohio State's schedule up with marketable games than it is to try to pave their way to the playoff (not to mention, no one got within 10 points of them in-conference last year anyway-- even the Penn State game wasn't as close as the score indicated, so it seems like Ohio State can handle whatever the B1G throws at it at this point)

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Pretty sure he's trying to say that Cade McNamara is the backup at this point. Cade McNamara is pretty similar to Cade McNown. Cade McNown beat his name into every Longhorn fan's subconsious in 1997. Fuck this Freudian slip...

If Dylan couldn't beat out Milton that is one thing, if he slipped behind McNamara I am going to guess it isn't much of a loss. Let Milton play his 2 years and then please for the love of God let JJ be a fucking stud and give Michigan the first actual QB since Henne in 06. (Sorry Denard)

• Like 1

that's sort of a bird in the hand thing though-- the conferences want to maximize TV ratings because that drives TV revenue. I'm not sure it's worth more to the SEC to try to game the system and get Alabama, Auburn, and Florida all into the playoff (like I jokingly suggested above) at the expense of playing the Iron Bowl and SEC CG.
likewise, the Big Ten needs top-shelf inventory, so it's probably more likely to load Ohio State's schedule up with marketable games than it is to try to pave their way to the playoff (not to mention, no one got within 10 points of them in-conference last year anyway-- even the Penn State game wasn't as close as the score indicated, so it seems like Ohio State can handle whatever the B1G throws at it at this point)

Fair point. I don’t think they’d scrub the real marquee games, but they could certainly make the road a lot smoother for a few teams to keep them healthier.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Yeah. There’s gotta be a minimum number of games played to be eligible. 8 is probably about right. 

The college football playoff committee is already on the record that more games are important. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/2/16704896/big-12-championship-game-return-oklahoma-tcu

"TCU and Baylor were named the conference’s “co-champions” since they both tied atop the conference, despite Baylor beating the Horned Frogs in October that season. The co-title, paired with Ohio State blowing out Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten Championship, was enough for the committee to reward the Buckeyes with a playoff bid. Committee chair Jeff Long said the selection was partly because of OSU’s extra “data point,” a term that’d become a buzz word in Big 12 expansion debates."

Heh. You know the reasoning changes and evolves for each season. Like one year Miami was voted over Notre Dame because Miami won the head-to-head despite having the same record. Then just a few years later Florida State was voted over Notre Dame even though Notre Dame won the head-to-head and they had the same record, for reasons. Because one year everybody agreed head-to-head was really important and a few years later they agreed it wasn't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

The college football playoff committee is already on the record that more games are important. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/2/16704896/big-12-championship-game-return-oklahoma-tcu

"TCU and Baylor were named the conference’s “co-champions” since they both tied atop the conference, despite Baylor beating the Horned Frogs in October that season. The co-title, paired with Ohio State blowing out Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten Championship, was enough for the committee to reward the Buckeyes with a playoff bid. Committee chair Jeff Long said the selection was partly because of OSU’s extra “data point,” a term that’d become a buzz word in Big 12 expansion debates."

Not sure how this is relevant to the 2020 crapstorm.

Heh. You know the reasoning changes and evolves for each season. Like one year Miami was voted over Notre Dame because Miami won the head-to-head despite having the same record. Then just a few years later Florida State was voted over Notre Dame even though Notre Dame won the head-to-head and they had the same record, for reasons. Because one year everybody agreed head-to-head was really important and a few years later they agreed it wasn't.
So it's a subjective beauty contest and everyone is gonna argue about it? 2020 ain't ALL different.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:
3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Read more  

So it's a subjective beauty contest and everyone is gonna argue about it? 2020 ain't ALL different.

No but the explanations given in the past don't matter because each year they are going to do what brings in the bux and explain it however. Some years head to head will matter, some years conference, some years "body of work" some years came on strong late. Whatever explains away any criticisms. Joel Klatt bless his heart explained the bias through statistical analysis last year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

No but the explanations given in the past don't matter because each year they are going to do what brings in the bux and explain it however. Some years head to head will matter, some years conference, some years "body of work" some years came on strong late. Whatever explains away any criticisms. Joel Klatt bless his heart explained the bias through statistical analysis last year.

Interesting analysis.  I hate that two-camera setup they used.  Looked stupid.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, DenverHorn said:

I was all in for Big Ten to get on schedule for personal & general reasons.   The PAC12 I'd prefer stay dormant, Texas football would be a huge benefactor in recruiting if those clowns take another giant step in NGAF about CFB.

Agreed, I think long term XII may have a chance to add some of those brands, as USC/ UCLA/ Arizona State & Colorado...
But as to XII now, the league (besides Kansas) should be pretty deep/ Baylor has strong shot at 3rd place in my opinion...

3 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

We don't care as long as we get to play.  Besides,  if we really are still "bluebloods",  then you want to get off the porch and run with the big dogs.

I sure as fucking hell care.  NU is coming off three straight losing seasons and are the only team in the West that draws 2 of the 3 East powerhouse programs in a shortened season.  Not only that, they play the AP preseason #2, #7, #12 teams in 3 of first 4 games.  This schedule is a B1G FU from the conference.  Not getting along with our new conference overlords certainly should amuse a few people around here though.

1 hour ago, Bodhi said:

I sure as fucking hell care.  NU is coming off three straight losing seasons and are the only team in the West that draws 2 of the 3 East powerhouse programs in a shortened season.  Not only that, they play the AP preseason #2, #7, #12 teams in 3 of first 4 games.  This schedule is a B1G FU from the conference.  Not getting along with our new conference overlords certainly should amuse a few people around here though.

It's time to fish or cut bait.  Time for Frost to show us what he's got.  One can't judge how good a team is by playing FCS schools.  Players don't know how good they really need to be if they don't play the best.

56 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

It's time to fish or cut bait.  Time for Frost to show us what he's got.  One can't judge how good a team is by playing FCS schools.  Players don't know how good they really need to be if they don't play the best.

Going to disagree with everything you typed above.  NU went 2-5 after getting their shit pushed in on national TV vs. Ohio State last year.  I don't think the physical and mental butt kickings are really that beneficial for the team.  I'm not suggesting NU should pack their schedule with FCS schools however asking for a schedule that is comparable to what Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota will be playing this fall is reasonable.  Get a W or two more, build some team confidence, and offer some hope to sell recruits on.

27 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

NU “hosed” for rallying to get FB back. Much “tougher” schedule than tOSU! Thanks for the effort to get the game back!

Well, I guess fi we want XII to expand, this is good news.?!

On a side note: @FranchiseOK spoke w/ Callahan [Huskers' rivals247] saying (basically) "it's possible Nebraska returns to XII in future/ but a few years off"...

Not to go all c/r mode, but enticing a ticked off USC, plus a few pals, while adding Colorado & Nebraska back is a win/ win for brands Oklahoma and Texas...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Correct on all points. 

2 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

I’d much rather drive 90 miles north than watch a game two time zones away. And anyone who thinks the original PAC 8 schools would break apart shows how little they know about football in other areas besides Big 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would rather have Hawaii than Baylor.

3 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

I’d much rather drive 90 miles north than watch a game two time zones away. And anyone who thinks the original PAC 8 schools would break apart shows how little they know about football in other areas besides Big 12.

Really? I would be fine if I never had to drive through or stop in Waco for any reason for the rest of my life.

11 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

You obviously aren't aware USC threatened to bolt PAC in 1978: "Chuck, you will stand next to Jack Hubbard and say that UCLA is joining USC in withdrawing from the Pac-8 also."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/29/40-years-ago-the-arizona-schools-joined-the-pac-8-an-insiders-account-of-the-process-that-nearly-destroyed-the-conference/

Or didn't know of USC has stated all option on table, as of 2020: "Bohn indicated that USC would be willing to explore all options — even leaving the conference — if the financial picture doesn’t brighten in coming years."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/28/uscs-mike-bohn-talks-about-the-trojans-future-in-the-pac-12-and-does-it-with-remarkable-candor/

USC - lynchpin out west, if Trojans come, so will Bruins/ 'Cats/ Devils Utes/ Buffs & pals... (All that not to mention, PAC disbanded in 1959 too):  "The Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) was a college athletic conference in the United States which existed from 1915 to 1959."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Coast_Conference

Anyway, back to B1G/ Nebraska, there seems to be some real undercurrents of B1G trying to stick it to NU, for even wanting to play football at all (same as XII teams)...
This might end well, XII just needs to be patient, see how this plays out, as B1G GoR's is up in 2023/ PAC GoR's in 2024, those teams could declare entry to XII by 2025...

On 9/19/2020 at 3:10 PM, Bodhi said:

Time to shit or get off the pot.  If you're skeered you can get in my pocket.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess there will be a big shakeup in the polls on 10/25 after the first week of Big 10 games? They’ll just automatically insert 1-0 Ohio State in at the #3 spot regardless of what other teams have been doing for over a month?

Most conferences finish on 12/5. The Big 10 is scheduled through 12/12 followed by their “champions week” on 12/19. Will the awards wait until after 12/19 or will they give the Heisman to Justin Fields before their season even ends?

What about bowls?

So many questions. I hate the Big 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have to laugh at NU for practically begging to join the Big 10 within the last decade, making the entire conference look stupid (even if correct), and expecting to be treated like royalty. I'm surprised they didn't also get PSU as an away game. Maybe stay in the Big 12 if you want to have more clout.

• Hook 'Em 1