anyone got a wine suitcase?

bularry1

18 hours ago, bularry1 said:

something I can check that will hold 6 to 12 bottles?  Ideally you'd loan it to me, but I'll buy it if someone has one they don't need anymore.

I know, this is random.

The question is where are you going and how many of the bottles are you willing to give as payment.

43 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

The question is where are you going and how many of the bottles are you willing to give as payment.

going to Cali.  would like to be able to bring back a few random bottles instead of having to wait 6 months for cooler weather for shipping purposes.  I could buy one for $250 which isn't bad, but not sure I'd ever use it again so my cheap self is hesitating on making the purchase.

250 is obscene for a wine suitcase.  I think we may have paid 125 for ours.  Napa lives on shipping wine. The only pain in the ass is having ups deliver with a 21+ year old to sign.  But you can also have routed to walgreens - at least where I live.  Last count we're members of 5 or six little wineries.  Customer service is exceptional for all of them.

58 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

250 is obscene for a wine suitcase.  I think we may have paid 125 for ours.  Napa lives on shipping wine. The only pain in the ass is having ups deliver with a 21+ year old to sign.  But you can also have routed to walgreens - at least where I live.  Last count we're members of 5 or six little wineries.  Customer service is exceptional for all of them.

I just get everything delivered to office so I don't worry about the signing for it stuff.   The 250 is for a VinGarde and I don't see anything cheaper.

4 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Many wineries have insulated Styrofoam shipping containers you can buy. Tape it up, put it in a box, and check it in. Or wrap the bottles in bubble wrap or towels and put them in a Coleman cooler, again, tape it up and check it in.

I have done the box before, but that is a pain in the ass to carry around the airport.   I like the idea of being able to roll the damn thing around.   case of wine is 40 lbs plus.

8 hours ago, bularry1 said:

I have done the box before, but that is a pain in the ass to carry around the airport.   I like the idea of being able to roll the damn thing around.   case of wine is 40 lbs plus.

Tip the luggage guy $5 at each airport and he'll roll it around for you on his luggage cart. $10 + a box is still way cheaper than a wine case OR shipping.

Buy a large Pelican or SKB case with foam inserts and rollers. They are expensive but about the only thing to use if you need to check a bag and be sure the contents will not be broken. I have a big SKB and its about the only thing  I use when I check a bag these days. 

I think this is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/SKB-3R2217-10B-Mil-Standard-Roto-Case/dp/B005N27PH6/ref=sr_1_25?srs=2600642011&ie=UTF8&qid=1524588562&sr=8-25

31OVrcTEQ7L.jpg

2 hours ago, bularry1 said:

If I just want a styrofoam box, I'll buy one there like Smax says.   90 bucks to have a short handle isn't really worth it to me.

It's not just a short handle, FWIW.  It's a collapsible canvas bag that holds a shipper box, has an adjustable strap/handle, and wheels for pulling through the airport.

Do whatever you want, but it's not an outrageous price for what you're wanting.  Plus they deliver free to Napa and Sonoma, and as Smax says, a number of wineries even sell it on site at their tasting rooms.

One of the guys that created it is Todd French, who started the wineberserkers.com forum.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

It's not just a short handle, FWIW.  It's a collapsible canvas bag that holds a shipper box, has an adjustable strap/handle, and wheels for pulling through the airport.

Do whatever you want, but it's not an outrageous price for what you're wanting.  Plus they deliver free to Napa and Sonoma, and as Smax says, a number of wineries even sell it on site at their tasting rooms.

One of the guys that created it is Todd French, who started the wineberserkers.com forum.

I didn't mean to sound rude, I saw the product online.  I'm sure it works well.  Not sure it is exactly what I want is all

You could get the $15 Styrofoam box in Napa, then use a cart to wheel it around in the airport. You just need to be able to pack the cart up in your bag when you check it. I use a Magna cart for this. Just take a few bungee cords to wrap around it and it stays on there. It weighs about 10 pounds, so figure that into your check bags overall weight. 

61k1cdbgdFL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Dutchrudder

On 4/23/2018 at 2:34 PM, DDD Dad said:

Check out the Wine Check.  Some friends (internet friends) started this several years back.  Convenient and relatively inexpensive.

We bought this for our trip to Napa/Sonoma a few years ago.   Worked great and wasn't too hard on the pocket book.  Have used it on a couple more trips and has held up well.  I'm not located in Austin though so no help on that end.

• 2 weeks later...

bought a wine-check at a tasting room in Healdsburg.  Got me a case of wine home, so that was nice.  Gonna re-use when we visit some friends at their mountain house in North Carolina later this summer.

Glad I did it.

Bought the equivalent of this about a year or more ago.

imageService?profileId=12026540&id=12125

https://www.costco.com/Skyway-Nimbus-20"-Hardside-Carry-On.product.100395521.html

Then wrapped the various wine bottles in clothes and used rubber bands around the clothes to keep them attached. Brought about 7 bottles back from Argentina late last June/early July. Then flew the bottles again from Dallas to LA the same way.

I'd rather spend the money on the wine than waste it on luggage... but I don't have extra money to blow, like some on this board.

Edited by Napoleon