Game day food

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

How’s the crowd there? Or did y’all get to go?

Went and enjoyed in grapevine. had to wait about 5 minutes to get a table, so you could say "covid" capacity but it was smooth... been a few times in past couple months. 

Went right around 12:30. Not sure I would try to go for the game tonight though... i'm sure that will be packed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last game, smoked chuck roasts for a smaller crowd.  Brisket can be a PITA and chucks smoke in half the time, sometimes a third.

Use the same pepper rub I used on all my briskets, smoke for about 3 hours, put in foil pan with hatch chilis, onions, and a little bone broth.  Heat another 1.5-2 hours, then cover until it comes up to temp (203-205).

Pour our broth, save, shred meat with chilis, add back about a quarter of the broth and juices.  Serve on Hawaiian rolls with pickles and onions, etc. 

I've also done this exact recipe with a venison shoulder.  Shreds down into amazing slider meat.   

1 hour ago, NoName said:

tell me about this pumpkin casserole...

It’s really simple. 

2 cans of pumpkin puree 

1 can of cream cheese cake frosting

1 box of spice cake mix

Pumpkin Spice Seasoning

1-1/2 to 2 sticks of butter 

basically put your pumpkin purée into 9x13 pan. Swirl in the cream cheese frosting. Evenly spread the cake mix on top but DO NOT mix. Cut thin slices of the butter and completely cover the dish. Bake 40-45 min at 350

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice.  That's how I do a green chile stew.  Take pork shoulder chunks or pork for carnitas, season with salt, cumin, chile powder and smoke for 1.5-2 hours, then into the pot to simmer for a few hours with a puree of onion, tomatillos, garlic, peppers with some chicken stock.  Can also be braised in the oven.  Take out pork, shred, reduce sauce, add pork back in and make tacos.

• Hook 'Em 1

Too lazy to find the golden triangle thread, but this morning the reserve stock of my Nick’s Boudain went on the smoker. My grandmother knows them, and they still make it out of their house, well pre-COVID they did, not sure about now.

Fuck OU!

1efb0c590f86d17364ee44b561d0779c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

That's some crucial information.  I'd probably buy 25 pounds of it right now if I could. 

I’ll ask her if they are still making it today. She hasn’t left her house in Nederland since March, but here is the contact info I have last. According to her it is the same people. My taste comparison, fucking awesome but a little spicier than the old Nicks. I love it, my 6 year old daughter evidently doesn’t have enough coon ass in her blood, but my 9 year old son ate damn near as much as me.

b545a362435a709de124e72e229416ea.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, mdleast said:

No. My wife took corn tortillas and cut them into Texas shape to simulate the Texas-shaped chips from the Haste Texas Nachos stand in the food building.  They tasted great!

They look awesome. The whole spread looks good, but those chips look finominal.

Edited by Covri

Also if any of you have not had nachos made with fried wonton chips... well you’re missing out.

That sounds pretty damn tasty. Also, to clarify, my wife cut the corn tortillas into Texas shapes and then fried them up and salted them. Tasted like the chips we get at certain restaurants and brewpubs. Love those...air pockets or whatever they are when the tortilla separates as it is fried.

• 2 weeks later...