Southampton 2020-21 : 40 points or bust!

yoladu

• 2 weeks later...

a 1-0 win against a depleted paper-thin Burnley team -  barely encouraged.

and our search for a CM soap opera continues..

linked to so far:

- Olivier Ntcham
- Dejan Ljubicic
- Weston McKennie
- Orel Mangala
- Ronaldo Vieira
- Soualiho Meite
- Hamza Choudhury
- Daler Kuzyaev
- Florentino Luis
- Tom Davies
- Ruben Loftus-Cheek
- Ibrahim Sangaré
- Joey Veerman
- Ibrahima Diallo

Peacock count - 2 of 3 matches so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Chelsea 3 - 3 Southapton

A few thoughts...

1. Southampton doesn’t often come back in games like that so that was refreshing to see. 

2. Wow! Chelsea has got a load of talent on that team. I think only on Southampton player (Ings) could crack the starting XI on that side. 

3. Southampton got pretty lucky

4. Djenepo and Armstrong had knocks, so Walcott started. Although I had thought his pickup was a bit about nostalgia, He played well, looks like he will fit in, and will get Southampton 5 or so goals this season. Good business.

5. seven points on 5 matches and 10th place. Really good start - especially considering the last 3 years.

6. Kyle Walker Peter is a huge upgrade over Cedric Soares. However, the Saints’ central defense is still a mess and will cost us more than a few games this season. Our two big expensive transfers this summer Diallo CDM(£13.5 mil) and Salisu CB(£10.9 mil) have yet to see the pitch. So holding out some hope there  

7. On regular TV at 9am. That was a treat! Running count: 3 out of 5 matches on Peacock so far this season. 

Edited by yoladu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a deserved point yesterday against Wolverhampton. Feels like if Ings had been fit and played we could have gotten the 3 points. McCarthy MoM.

anyway... nothing to complain about 9 matches in..

5th place, 17 points, unbeaten in 7 matches.

Edited by yoladu

Man U deserved that win

01) When Southampton was up 2-0 at half, all i could think of this team is not a 3rd place team, but somehow they were doing it

02) Hasenhuttl got seriously out-managed in the second half.

03) Southampton should draw fouls 5 yards outside the penalty box and let JWP take over. He is pretty much unstoppable right now.

04) Southampton are seriously thin and weak defensively.

05) Saints are doing ok, but missing Ings greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal 1 - 1 Southampton

I don't think Saints looked all that sharp. They look a bit tired. We have very little depth.

With all the games to be played in the next couple of weeks, i expect Saints to fall back to the mid table pretty quickly. 

that being said:

3rd place, 24 points after 13 matches!!!!

WAY OVERPERFORMING!!!

Fulham 0 - 0 Southampton..

Having zero squad depth is catching up with us... best goalscorer (Ings), best creative player (Redmond), best def. midfielder (Romeu), and best CB (Vestergaard) all out, due to injury.

But no excuses, you got to suck it up.

got a point, and in good shape to get to 40 points for the season. We march on.

modest goals

Edited by yoladu

Southampton 0 - 0 Wet Ham

• another boring goalless draw (2nd week in a row) that i nearly fell asleep watching.
  • Southampton hasn't scored a goal in 342 minutes (basically 3 and 3/4 games of scoreless play) - take that Arsenal!
  • On the bright side - they have only given up 2 goals in the last 5 matches.
  • Liverpool next - oh lord.
  • missed opportunity to really move up the table, but still in 9th place
  • But really, 9th is about what Southampton deserve, and really should not have ambition to go higher this season. They are a very thin squad.

Though his (Hasenhuttl's) side were unable to find a winner (today's match with W. Ham), Tuesday's draw means only Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea have won more points in the Premier League than Southampton in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55406823

Essentially meaningless, but somewhat interesting.

also to add, our squad is so thin.

5 nailed on starters out..

McCarthy GK, Vestergaard CB, Romeu DF, Adams FW, Redmond FW (yes, i know Liverpool is dealing with injuries too)

---

the BENCH was a bunch of Academy players (some I have never ever heard of)

Tella, Lewis, Volkins, Smallbone, Ramsey, Chauke, N'Lundunu, Valery, (and Shane Long)

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester 2 - 0 Southampton

--- cheap goal at the end.. competitive match, Southampton's play looked pretty and the first Leicester goal was against the run of play... BUT that don't mean shit.

Southampton has no offensive teeth at the moment. Last 6 matches...

• 2 goals scored, 4 goals allowed

Also, lots of starters out due to injury/covid: Ings, Redmond, Romeu, Versterguard, Djenepo.

8th place / 29 points

• 2 weeks later...

tough League game today - 6 starters MIA

RB - Bertrand - suspended

LB - Walker-Peters - injured

CB - Vestergaard - injured

DM - Romeu - injured

FW - Djenepo - injured

FW - Redmond - injured/bench

plus, 4 other bench players who would have filled in are also injured, Smallbone, Olafemi, Tella, & Salisu

Southampton 1 -3 Arsenal

• 5 points in 6 matches. Southampton's form is not great. Lots of injuries.
  • When your preferred LB, CB, RB, and DM are injured/suspended, you are going to give up goals.
  • Not worried about relegation obviously, but Southampton have slipped into the bottom 10.  Which is really OK, this team doesn't want to fall into a 7th place Europa slot, absolutely zero depth.
  • During the broadcast, the announcer mentioned that 5 of the Southampton players on the bench had never played a minute in the PL.

Halfway point.. 29 points and 11th place... I will take it, snap your hand off, etc.

Southampton 0 - 1 Aston Villa

Lots of huffing and puffing, but nothing to show for it. More shots than any other team that played today with 20.

3 straight losses

2 goals scored in the last 7 matches aint gonna cut it.

Toothless.

Edited by yoladu

good god. i thought it was bad before.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/southampton-manchester-united-team-news-19741968

Southampton confirm triple injury scare ahead of Manchester United fixture

Theo Walcott, Ibrahima Diallo and Oriol Romeu were all struck down with injury in the 1-0 weekend defeat to Aston Villa at St Mary's Stadium and look unlikely to make the match against United.

i have no idea what the starting line up is even going to look like tomorrow.

Edited by yoladu

Ins: 

Takumi Minamino (Liverpool, loan)

Outs: 

Callum Slattery (Gillingham, loan),

Tyreke Johnson (Gillingham, undisclosed),

Josh Sims (Doncaster, loan),

Jake Vokins LB (Sunderland, loan),

Jann Valery RB (Birmingham, loan)

Shane Long (Bournemouth, loan)

• No money to spend? - i get it. Minamino is no financial/football risk and hopefully injects a bit of offensive spark.
  • Shipping out your current 2nd choice LB and 2nd choice RB? - i don't get. Especially with KWP out injured.
  • Sims looked so promising a few years back, but his future at Southampton appears to be over.
  • Shane Long, at this point, is worthless and provides no impact. I hope Bournemoutth doesn't consider him their Josh King replacement.

Edited by yoladu

ManU 9 - 0 Southampton

wouldn't be a season without a 9 nil loss.

• Straight Red at 2' mark. I had never even heard of Alex Jankewitz until a few days ago, and then suddenly he is starting against ManU. Totally deserved red - i dont know if he was excitable or did it intentionally. He put in his transfer request 2 weeks ago apparently because he was upset about not getting playing time. The very fact that he was out there shows what a desperate situation Southampton's injury crisis is.
  • Fuck Mike Dean. That flop by Martial resulting in a straight red to Bednerak, even after Mike Dean reviewed it on the sidelines, was criminal. it was 6-0 at that point. Not that is great, but come on.
  • Starting RB tonight was Kayne Ramsey - another player I had never heard of.
  • Fuck Mike Dean. He was in the VAR booth for the Villa game last week, denying Southampton a stonewall handball penalty and a very dubious offsides call.
  • Hasenhuttl needs to learn how to manage a team that is a man down. last year's 9-0 Leicester debacle was after we went a man down in the 12th minute.
  • Fuck Mike Dean.
  • Miramino - welcome to Southampton. It aint like Liverpool, that is for sure.
  • Southampton just needs 11 points!! Give me 3 wins and 2 draws. Please! I feel like Saints are circling the drain.
Edited by yoladu

Southampton 1 - 2 Wolves

i really don't want to be that guy, but Southampton done hard AGAIN by referee calls.

• Bertrand turning away to get his arms out of the way and get a ball is rifled high into his arm from 5 yards away, Penalty called.
  • Clearly hits Wolves' Dendoncker in the arm in the penalty box. Not reviewed, No penalty given.

6 straight losses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

City 5 - 2 Southampton

• could have easily been 6-1. City were in 2nd gear most of the match and still. They are scary good.
  • McCarthy GK needs to sit.
  • didn't expect to get any points from this game - Got no points from this game.
  • Bertrand (RB) playing LB, Salisu (CB) playing RB, Stephens (DB) playing DM. Defensive players playing out of position is not ideal vs. City
  • Ings, Romeu, and Walcott injured/out. KWP i believe has just a knock and was left out of the match out of caution.
  • Brighton on Sunday is a pretty big 6 pointer.
  • A win get Southampton to 36 points and would put them 10 points clear of the relegation zone with 9 matches left.

• 3 weeks later...

Southampton 3 - 2 Burnley

• Down 0-2 in the first half, a 0-6 loss seemed more likely than a 3-2 win.
  • Shocked we came back - I cant remember the last time that happened.
  • nice contributions from Ings, Redmond, Walcott, and Armstrong
  • on 36 points and breathing easier now - especially with Fulham losing and Newcastle drawing.

We aren't very good, but unless something disastrous happens, we play for at least another year in the PL.

• WBA next Monday. Would be nice to get the 3 points and then focus on the FA Cup Semis

• 2 weeks later...

WBA 3 - 0 Southampton

• Yeah, would have been nice to get 3 points. That was a gutless performance against a surely relegated side.
  • Southampton have picked up just 10 points in 15 Premier League games in 2021 (W3 D1 L11), fewer than any other side in this period. (Worse than Sheff U)
  • Leicester is going to steamroll the Saints in the FA Cup Semis Sunday

19 hours ago, yoladu said:

Typical.

I would image we are close to leading the league in points lost from winning positions.

yep..from the BBC..

• Southampton have now dropped more points from winning positions than any other Premier League team this season (21).

Since beating Liverpool on Jan 4th

• 15 matches - 2W 1D 12L - 7 points

A season start like that gets you sacked. Lots of displeasure with Hasenhuttl right now amongst supporters.

Edited by yoladu

• 3 weeks later...