Largely unimportant bye week talk: I miss our old helmets

Red Five

I always thought the logo on the older helmets was a bit too dark, more brown than burnt orange on tv.

Having said that, take the old logo color, lighten it up slightly..perfect. jmo tho, and I agree with the jersey above...which will never happen due to the required pieces of flair these days.

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Old logo looked like shit brown and never matched the jerseys dating back to Rickys days. New color is better. Both better than that metallic color we used for a season.

a06d2ec5-db57-478b-a647-00b357a59126_192

It was certainly a very dark burnt orange. It looked great on the white helmet, contrasted with the jersey color. 

• Hook 'Em 3

You can't really compare old photos to recent ones. The color balance is different, contrast is different. Look how blue the photo of Sam is compared to the photo of ced. 

Same photo, just brightened and color balance shifted. The burnt orange isn't much different. 

Adobe_20200913_121654.jpg

Adobe_20200913_121319.jpg

a06d2ec5-db57-478b-a647-00b357a59126_1920x1080.jpg

Edited by SlingeroGuitaro
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

You can't really compare old photos to recent ones. The white balance is different, the contrast is different. 

Same photo, just brightened. It isn't that different. 

Adobe_20200913_121319.jpg

Still looks much better, even after artificially lightening it. 

Probably not worth another thread, so I'll say it. I dont like the design of the "We Are One" patch. It looks like an advertisement. Maybe the real issue is how much bullshit we have on the front of the jersey to begin with. Look at Sterns who has a captain patch, too. It's starting to look like a goddamn NASCAR car. 

Optimally I would put the "We Are One" where the B12 logo is, because why the fuck do we need that on there, and ditch the Horns on the collar. 

And before anyone gets their briefs in a tizzy, I have NO issue with the message and think the players are well within their rights to ask for it on the jersey, it just seems like it was kind of rushed from a design standpoint and that we can do better. 

Screenshot_20200913-111656_Instagram.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, ousux said:

I always thought the logo on the older helmets was a bit too dark, more brown than burnt orange on tv.

Having said that, take the old logo color, lighten it up slightly..perfect. jmo tho, and I agree with the jersey above...which will never happen due to the required pieces of flair these days.

I'll have to look around for an article or perhaps my father has enough recall left to remind me of the intent, but I believe the darker helmet logo was originally due to its appearance on TV.  Over time & technology advancements the darker shade became unnecessary yet we stayed with it until recent changes (metallic and now "Texas Orange").   I believe similar rationale applies to the Cowboys pants/helmets over the years. 

2 minutes ago, DenverHorn said:

I'll have to look around for an article or perhaps my father has enough recall left to remind me of the intent, but I believe the darker helmet logo was originally due to its appearance on TV.  Over time & technology advancements the darker shade became unnecessary yet we stayed with it until recent changes (metallic and now "Texas Orange").   I believe similar rationale applies to the Cowboys pants/helmets over the years. 

Don't get me started on the Cowboys pants. It's my understanding that's all Jerruh's doing and, yes, it has to do with how they look on TV (or something).

10 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

It looks like we increased the size of the longhorn decal from the picture of Ced to this season with that picture of Sterns.

Looks larger than last season as well.

Logo is definitely bigger - it'd imagine that because helmets have more complex shapes with more holes, etc. they want to try and make it pop a bit more. Ced's helmet looks like a toy compared to Ehlinger and Sterns'.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Probably not worth another thread, so I'll say it. I dont like the design of the "We Are One" patch. It looks like an advertisement. Maybe the real issue is how much bullshit we have on the front of the jersey to begin with. Look at Sterns who has a captain patch, too. It's starting to look like a goddamn NASCAR car. 

Optimally I would put the "We Are One" where the B12 logo is, because why the fuck do we need that on there, and ditch the Horns on the collar. 

And before anyone gets their briefs in a tizzy, I have NO issue with the message and think the players are well within their rights to ask for it on the jersey, it just seems like it was kind of rushed from a design standpoint and that we can do better. 

The Big 12 logo is a non negotiable from the conference, that’s not going anywhere. If I was jersey god I’d go back to our late 90s/early 2000s look. Sorry but the throwback jerseys always reminded me of the generic ones middle school teams wear. No design or unique traits at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

LOL at comparing to 90’s & 2000’s jerseys.

The old helmet decal color matches the color of my 1969 jersey.  That is the color that DKR teams wore.  Made it harder to tell who actually had the ball.  It never matched the official Pantone color orange. It was closer to brown than the variagated oranges used today.  It was definitely not the OSU orange on our turf today.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Big 12 logo is a non negotiable from the conference, that’s not going anywhere. If I was jersey god I’d go back to our late 90s/early 2000s look. Sorry but the throwback jerseys always reminded me of the generic ones middle school teams wear. No design or unique traits at all. 

I think this is probably my all-time favorite home uni ... right down to the last detail.

1240.jpg?w=960

gettyimages-121579233.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

Edited by wood

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is my issue as well. 6 (six) fucking different patches above the number. Logo AND Texas. Ok I get it. Nike swoosh, big 12 patch, statement patch, captions patch... Just find an excuse to go back to the "retro" throwback jersey every game from here on. Shit looked sweet.

usa-today-8909211.0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Our orange now keeps getting closer to Tennessee or at least Syracuse every year. (Vomit)

Nothing burnt about it anymore. It’s more like tangerine now.

I think black shoes with the home tangerine is the best look and white shoes with the stormtroopers are the best look and I know best

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

This is a great argument for black shoes/socks with the home unis. The contrast is much better than the all white bottom half.

To me it's not so much the color as just the old school nature of things.  The top picture would be perfect if some of those guys had their socks drooping a bit.  The black socks looks like they were dressing for a soccer match and then changed their mind and forgot to change their socks.

84fa0c9a3c390a8d1d6e2e57ed895a5d.jpg

I'm sure it may just be my age.  I hate artificial turf, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, ztejas said:

Already have a Nike ad and a Big 12 ad.  We are one is relatively muted and relatively non-controversial.  Does kind of remind me of a bank logo.