Cowboys @ Rams: Week 1

Vic Mackey

I agreed with Collinsworth that Ramsey got the call because he sold it, which in live action made it look like a push off (but ridiculous on replay). I think they changed the rule so PI is no longer reviewable in any situation.

Also surprised Cowboys fans weren't thrilled that McCarthy went for the 4th down, where Garrett would certainly have kicked. It was just not a great play call, or possibly Lamb ran the route too short.

ETA: Oh, and the "cost us the game" crowd is doing same thing they did with Dez-caught-it...in all likelihood, Dallas would have kicked a short field goal to possibly force OT. No reason to assume the Rams wouldn't have won it anyway

Edited by Bartles
Dez
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Let's take the ref's word for it and not use our own eyes. 

Coming from a Houston fan I understand. You guys are conditioned to believe that flopping around like you got shot anytime someone touches you is good for the sport. 

Ramsey hooked and grabbed his arm with the ball in the air. That's pass interference, full stop. Gallop freeing his arm and pushing him away is not OPI. 

Just admit it, it was a bad call. Even cowboys hater Collinsworth agreed along with the Terry McAulay and Al Michaels. 

There’s a huge difference between a “bad call” and a ticky tack call that probably shouldn’t be called given the circumstances. It wasn’t a bad call. They’re going to get their grades after the game, and they’re going to be told that they made the right call because by definition it was the right call. We sound like babies complaining about this call when we flat out didn’t play well last night. We didn’t deserve to win. They did a lot more to put themselves in position to win that game, and they won. We had a chance because it’s the nfl and most games are one score games, but they player better than we did. Period

But see Donald is so good he shits on double teams as well. No cap

Understood that he is going to go down as one of the greatest to ever play, but there should be ways to scheme him out of the game a little bit. He’s going to make a play or two, but he was just wrecking shop last night. Or maybe he really is just that good and there is nothing that can be done. Let’s see how other teams handle him this season.

Just now, Hate said:

Understood that he is going to go down as one of the greatest to ever play, but there should be ways to scheme him out of the game a little bit. He’s going to make a play or two, but he was just wrecking shop last night. Or maybe he really is just that good and there is nothing that can be done. Let’s see how other teams handle him this season.

There is a strong case to be made that he is the best player in football at any position. That case was stronger before mahomes turned into what he was, but he’s top 3 in football regardless of position. I don’t think you just casually scheme him out of a game if he’s feeling it that night. 

Teams try but it doesn’t work and that’s what’s crazy about Donald. We may be watching the best defensive linemen of all time. I think he certainly will finish as the best DT of all time but if he keeps his current play up we may look at him as the best defensive linemen period.

4 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

It wasnt an intentional missed call. The ref was behind the play, saw the receiver have his arm straight out, then saw the DB lean back as if pushed hard and made an assumption. It was that simple. 

Then don’t make the call if you don’t clearly see it...it’s that simple

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Then don’t make the call if you don’t clearly see it...it’s that simple

I mean, the ref called exactly what he thought happened. And it did happen lol. I don’t know how they grade officials, but none of those guys are going to get a point deducted because of that call. By the letter of the law, it was the right call. Ramsey just sold the shit out of it and got the call. It was a veteran savvy move that you kinda have to give him credit for. I’m sure he’s talked about things he could do if he was obviously beat, and I’m sure this exact situation has come up in conversation with someone. I highly doubt he just thought of that on the fly. It was either coached or taught to him by another vet. 

Well there was textbook dpi against lamb earlier in the game on third down that forced a punt (or maybe the long fg that was missed) and that didn’t get called.  Those happen every game too, the point being consistency is what is needed. The officiating stopped one Dallas drive with a no call and their last drive with a call. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The decision to not take a field goal in the fourth quarter in a game where it was difficult to score should be getting way more hate this morning, more than OPI.

That's some captain hindsight shit. LA would have had a different strategy if the game were tied and Dallas might not have seen the ball again as they kicked a last second field goal. You just never know.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Regarding the call, I tend to be pretty sympathetic to the officials in any sport. It's a damn tough job they're asked to do and demanding absolute perfection is unrealistic.

That said, it's mystifying to me why fans sitting on their couches at home have the benefit of slow-mo replays in 1080p from 4 different angles, but refs have to make split second calls at game speed that decide the outcome of the game with no backup. Maybe that call was reviewable and it just wasn't for some reason - I have no idea what the rule is or how it's applied at this point. I suspect that refs themselves are the biggest opponent of reviewing stuff like that, because they don't want to be second-guessed constantly. That's where my sympathy ends, if that's the case. They get paid a shitload of money to work 3 hours a week. A fair outcome to the game is a lot more important to me than their pride.

Players and coaches win and lose jobs based on wins and losses. The refs are the only people on that field with 100% job security regardless of how bad they fuck up. It's bullshit.

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's some captain hindsight shit. LA would have had a different strategy if the game were tied and Dallas might not have seen the ball again as they kicked a last second field goal. You just never know.

This is my thought. If it had tied, I think the Rams' strategy would have been different and they would have gotten into field goal range and won it without us seeing the ball again. I think we only stopped them because they were more conservative with the lead. I mean they drove it to midfield even with that conservatism. Our defense was pretty bad most of the game.

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

e505c571f0385ea57958d710c89d9818.jpg

There is no question that the extended arm was incidental.

If there is no question that it was incidental, then based on what you posted it would be a no call situation which doesn’t seem to be what you have been arguing.

Edited by Brew

This is my thought. If it had tied, I think the Rams' strategy would have been different and they would have gotten into field goal range and won it without us seeing the ball again. I think we only stopped them because they were more conservative with the lead. I mean they drove it to midfield even with that conservatism. Our defense was pretty bad most of the game.

Tie the game up and hope your defense gets a shot is better than relying on an offense who has only put up 17 points all night.

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Tie the game up and hope your defense gets a shot is better than relying on an offense who has only put up 17 points all night.

That drive was working, and the fact that we "only" put up 17 points is a good argument for trying to get into the endzone when you are that close. Regardless, I'm just happy to see some aggressive playcalling and I hope they don't turtle up because this one failed. I like the aggressive attitude after so many years of Garrett.

• Like 1

That drive was working, and the fact that we "only" put up 17 points is a good argument for trying to get into the endzone when you are that close. Regardless, I'm just happy to see some aggressive playcalling and I hope they don't turtle up because this one failed. I like the aggressive attitude after so many years of Garrett.

The bigger point is taking points when you only have scored 17 is the bigger issue. Struggled all night to manufacture points but not going to take them when you have the opportunity and fail on a 4th down.

Teams try but it doesn’t work and that’s what’s crazy about Donald. We may be watching the best defensive linemen of all time. I think he certainly will finish as the best DT of all time but if he keeps his current play up we may look at him as the best defensive linemen period.

Circling back to this a bit, it seems to me that maybe they should have called for a few more designed roll outs to move the pocket a little bit rather than having Donald know where Dak would be every play. It would also be nice to see just one well executed screen out of this franchise. It seems like it’s been since the Landry/Staubach days that we’ve seen it happen.

This is your worst take yet. They never call OPI after a DPI. 
That would be as likely as James Harden winning a championship.

You replied to me and cited illegal contact down field in your image. So if there was illegal contact down field and offensive pass interference was called as well they would offset.

Keep up with your own homer arguments.

23 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

The bigger point is taking points when you only have scored 17 is the bigger issue. Struggled all night to manufacture points but not going to take them when you have the opportunity and fail on a 4th down.

That's a reasonable argument and is what Garrett would have done for sure. The fact is it was a judgment call but people raking McCarthy over the coals for it is unwarranted. I still like the call. I hate the execution. If it worked, he'd be hailed a hero. It will work sometimes and be the right call. I think overall teams should go for it more on 4th down. Conservatism has taken deep hold over coaches and I hope McCarthy is willing to keep trying aggressive calls. 

Edited by 'stache

14 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

You replied to me and cited illegal contact down field in your image. So if there was illegal contact down field and offensive pass interference was called as well they would offset.

Keep up with your own homer arguments.

There is no such thing as illegal contact with the ball in the air, it's DPI when the ball is in the air. 

There is no such thing as illegal contact with the ball in the air, it's DPI when the ball is in the air. 

Then why post illegal contact ruling?

Illegal contact could have happened prior to the ball being thrown and offensive pass interference occur while ball is in the air.

What point are you trying to make exactly

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well there was textbook dpi against lamb earlier in the game on third down that forced a punt (or maybe the long fg that was missed) and that didn’t get called.  Those happen every game too, the point being consistency is what is needed. The officiating stopped one Dallas drive with a no call and their last drive with a call. 

yep one of our WR's got hooked and stopped a drive.  textbook! textbook!!  no call...maybe we need a "textbook" coach on the sideline similar to the "get back" coach.