NFL Week 1 thread

shadow_operative2.0

Mike Evans looks like dog shit today. It’s like he doesn’t know how to play in a real offemse.

Don't ever start Evans against the Saints. Marshon Lattimore owns him completely. The aggy had one decent game sandwiched between 4 or 5 games where you would think Evans was injured because he was so nonexistent.

5 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Is there a back story to this? I get fucking with Tampa Bay because, well their Tampa Bay. But Brady? 

😐

not sure what that post was originally referencing but I did enjoy the throwback of Brees to Hill to Kamara, that was fun.

It's rare that I get a chance to OD on a lot of NFL football on any given Sunday, but given it was week one and there isn't much else going on, it was a glorious day in that regard. Some off the cuff observations:

• The quality of play was better than expected given no preseason. So let the discussion begin on what to do with preseason. I say kill preseason, add the 17th game (which is the equivalent of what most starters play in the preseason anyway), expand the practice squad rosters (to make up for the development "lost" in preseason games) and lets move on. Could start the season 2 weeks earlier and add an extra bye week for everyone.
  • The lack of fans made the atmosphere at the game feel like the Motor City Bowl between the MAC and C-USA (except in Los Angeles where that is par for the course). Fans will hopefully be allowed in at some level in most places later in the year, but there was a level of intensity missing at GB/MIN and TB/NO that would have made those games more entertaining.
  • There is <20% chance (barring injuries) that the AFC representative in the Super Bowl is not Kansas City or Baltimore.
  • Dear Progressive Insurance...please stop spending my premium dollars on commercials involving a scrub quarterback representing a shitty franchise.
  • The AFC South is easily the worst division in the NFL and that's without seeing Tenn play (but they are a 9-7 caliber team that had to sign Ryan Tannehill to an extension). If Jax is tanking for Trevor, that is not how it is done which also probably says something about Indy. No need to discuss the Texans, a team that over a 6 quarter stretch was outscored by KC 82-14.
  • Dear Progressive Insurance...if you are going to spend my premium dollars on commercials involving a scrub quarterback representing a shitty franchise, Gardner Minshew II should be your guy...fun QB and isn't a raging douchebag like your current spokesperson.
  • Cam will be OK in New England, but New England's days of dominance are over for a while. They feel like 10-6 and a 2nd round exit in KC or Balt. Keep an eye on Buffalo in that division. If you told me Josh Allen would be the 2nd best QB in the 2018 draft, I would have laughed at you, yet Buffalo looks like they could unseat NE in the AFC East this year.
  • The NFC will be a bloodbath this year. 3 of the 4 divisions look like they will be dogfights with the exception being the NFC (L)East division.
  • Here's why I hate masks. How are we absolutely sure that it wasn't Jason Garrett coaching the Cowboys last night. It looked the same to me. I think Cowboys fans are stuck in some weird Christopher Nolan time shifting movie or something because the faces on the sideline changed, but the results were the same. Dallas should make the playoffs given the division they are in, but I didn't see the same quality as some of the other teams right now so the drought looks to continue in Dallas
  • San Francisco will be the latest victim of the Super Bowl loser hangover. I get that Arizona is improved and Nuk Hopkins kept doing his thing for a new team, but that was the type of game SF won a lot of last year. The Niners have 8-8 and missing the playoffs written all over them.
  • Give me 6 games before I can tell you if Tampa's bid to go all in this year has legs. Tough spot to open at NO and draw any long-term conclusions about whether this team is legit or not, but if they are 2-4 heading to Las Vegas to play the Raiders, we will know. Schedule is manageable with the toughest game over the next 5 weeks appearing to be a visit from Green Bay in week 6. Definitely one of the most interesting story lines to watch.
  • Can't decide if the best QB performance of the day was Russell Wilson's gem or Aaron Rodgers gem but they both were sublime. However, in my wife's ladies FF league, Matt Ryan outpointed both of them because of a bizzaro rule that passing yards points double when you hit 300 yards and Ryan had over 450 yards. This is the same league that a few years back saw defenses as leading scorers most weeks because of bizarre double counting rules for defensive touchdowns and turnovers. The league champ had the Jacksonville defense of a few years ago that had something like 12 defensive touchdowns...it was obscene
  • Speaking of obscene, the all ladies fantasy leagues that are in our neighborhood have some of the nastiest team names of any leagues I have seen, many involving current/past players. Putting faces/names to the nasty team names is always interesting, but I also would love to ask the husband of the team owner of "Kamara in my Face" if he actually gets to Kamara in his wife's face...
  • Monday night Football Doubleheader tonight - I'll take "What are 4 teams that have no shot at the Super Bowl, Alex" or "What are 3 legendary franchises and Tennessee, Alex"
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

It's rare that I get a chance to OD on a lot of NFL football on any given Sunday, but given it was week one and there isn't much else going on, it was a glorious day in that regard. Some off the cuff observations:

• The AFC South is easily the worst division in the NFL and that's without seeing Tenn play (but they are a 9-7 caliber team that had to sign Ryan Tannehill to an extension). If Jax is tanking for Trevor, that is not how it is done which also probably says something about Indy. No need to discuss the Texans, a team that over a 6 quarter stretch was outscored by KC 82-14.

My question to you would be what else could the Titans have done at the QB position? There is a chance they could've signed Tom Brady, but with no young QB to groom that would've been a good short term plan if it actually fell into place. Last season the Titans were sitting at 2-4 and were ranked near the bottom of scoring and total offense. Tannehill was a big part of the 7-3 streak after he was inserted as the starter, the offense finished 10th in yardage and 11th in scoring despite Mariota digging a hole. He actually put up good numbers with a career high completion % by a significant margin, nearly matched his career high TD passes (22) with 286 attempts when his previous career high (27) was with 590 attempts and led the NFL in yards per pass attempt.

He’s a Sooner too. 

In other K news, the Aggy isn’t as hurt as he appeared, but that TNF game is gonna be rough. 

Bengals kicker Randy Bullock had a painful end to Sunday’s game against the Chargers in more ways than one.

Bullock missed a 31-yard field goal that would have sent the Bengals to overtime and he came up limping after apparently hurting his leg during the kick. Bullock was grabbing at his calf as the Bengals went off the field and he went for an evaluation of the injury Monday.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that there are still tests being done, but the current belief is that the injury is “nothing serious.”

The Bengals are playing on a short week as they’ll be in Cleveland to face the Browns on Thursday night. That may hurt Bullock’s chances of playing even if the injury isn’t a long-term concern.