Texas WR/TE Passing Offense Talk

LTtxfan

47 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Really? Josh Moore is already pretty fuckin good. I think as a group they will suddenly look a lot better this season in a friendlier scheme.

Yeah. I think putting Moore(.9556), Smith(.9752), Whittington(.9836), and Dixon(.8937) into space more often will yield significantly more production than throw deep shots with a shitty deep shot QB did.

These guys are clearly not Ruggs(.9640), Waddle(.9791), Jeudy(.9881), and Smith(.9717) but they also weren't that far off as prospects.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

My bad, forgot that he goes by Joshua Moore now.  Definitely expect that we'll see a lot better numbers for Joshua  in 2021 than he had in 2020...    (Forgot that he got hurt in tcu game and wvu game. )

Game Log

2020 REGULAR SEASON RECEIVING  
DATE OPP RESULT REC YDS AVG LNG TD          
Tue 12/29 vsCOLOCOLO 5 86 17.2 39 2          
VALERO ALAMO BOWL  
Sat 12/5 @KSUKSU 2 32 16.0 17 0          
Fri 11/27 vsISU13ISU 1 11 11.0 11 0          
Sat 10/31 @OKST6OKST 1 15 15.0 15 1          
Sat 10/24 vsBAYBAY 2 45 22.5 42            
Sat 10/10 vsOUOU 8 83 10.4 19 1          
Sat 9/26 @TTUTTU 5 73 14.6 31 3          
Sat 9/12 vsUTEPUTEP 6 127 21.2 78 1          
TOTAL 30 472 15.7 78 9          

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah. I think putting Moore(.9556), Smith(.9752), Whittington(.9836), and Dixon(.8937) into space more often will yield significantly more production than throw deep shots with a shitty deep shot QB did.

These guys are clearly not Ruggs(.9640), Waddle(.9791), Jeudy(.9881), and Smith(.9717) but they also weren't that far off as prospects.

If Smith doesn't soften his hands he aint going to be doing shit. 

I think some of these guys will look faster and more slim next season. 

I agree with the poster on the previous page that a lot of these guys are going to look completely different in this offense and that is in a good sense.

Thanks for this @Machinator

What do those who were on the inside think? The Athletic spoke to four members of Texas’ 2020 staff who were granted anonymity in return for offering a clear picture of what Sarkisian inherits on the Longhorns’ roster.

Go-to receivers
Brennan Eagles, who had 28 receptions for 469 yards and five touchdowns, is off to the NFL Draft. The guy many see as the best bet to emerge as a true No. 1 receiver is freshman Troy Omeire, a 6-3, 230-pound target who tore his ACL in preseason camp and missed the whole 2020 season.

“He’s a legitimate No. 1,” said Coach One. “He really stood out in training. I was so impressed with him before he got hurt.”

“He can really run and has a great big catch radius,” said Coach Three.

Joshua Moore led the Longhorns in all three major receiving categories with 30 receptions for 472 yards and nine touchdowns. He’s explosive, but several of the coaches said the redshirt sophomore has to get bigger and stronger to become a more complete receiver. Jake Smith, the No. 3 receiver in 2020, is another player who could really take to Sarkisian’s system. “He’s a good solid player,” said Coach Three. “That offense will fit his skill set.” Converted running back Jordan Whittington (21 catches) also figures to become more of a factor in 2021. “He’s had a bunch of injuries, but he’s very strong and is a 4.5 kid at 215 pounds. He can be a good H-receiver,” said the same coach.

Freshman Kelvontay Dixon (three catches in 2020) is another name to remember. Coach Three called him the fastest guy on the team.

Thx for this @Machinator

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Recruiting Class Final Thoughts: The Underestimated

But this group (2021 Class) has a potentially better collective floor than conventional wisdom holds and there are some individuals who can play much better football than their rankings suggest. Don't let the Herman hangover poison your mind or attitude.

Here are some 2021 signees you shouldn't sleep on...

WR Keithron Lee - 3 star, #78 player in Texas

Maybe I'm alone, but it took me about ten plays to see a dissonance between Lee's skill set and his ranking. Granted, WR is the deepest position at the high school, college, and NFL level and you can go deep down the list of the best in Texas and still get quality. That's a ranker's dilemma. So yeah, a guy outside of the Texas top 50 can still be a stone cold baller. I think the difference between the #3 WR in Texas and #9 is far too often about camp circuit participation, team profile, sophomore and junior seasons, groupthink, and early scholarship offers than pure assessment after the last game of their senior season.

Lee was highly productive as a receiver and runner (he's great on fly sweeps and gadgets) at Bryan and he shows a knack for adjusting to the ball down the field. He's a fearless runner and runs through contact despite modest size. I like that. I also like his acceleration and refusal to quit on a play. I see a lot of heart and ability. Kind of what I want in a slot. If he can run smart routes and catch the ball reliably, Sark will love him.

I don't know how he fares in the shorts Olympics, but I like him with pads on.

If there's something off the field weighing against his evaluation, I get it, but I'm not aware of it. BTW, fellow WR Jaden Alexis is probably being sold a little short by Texas fans as well, but his ranking is appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

Discussion on Sark's offense in part of this podcast.

‬AP Top 25 College Football Podcast

Steve Sarkisian’s Road to Texa‪s

Five and half year ago, Steve Sarkisian was fired by Southern California, a promising career derailed by alcoholism. The road back for Sark went thrown Alabama and the NFL and now he is a head coach again, taking at Texas. Sarkisian joins AP’s Ralph D. Russo to talk about his comeback and how recovery has made him a different, and he hopes better, coach. Then Richard Johnson of the Split Zone Duo podcast joins the show to breakdown what made Sark’s offense so good at Alabama and how the top college teams are trying to mimic the way NFL teams play offense.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ap-top-25-college-football-podcast/id1138957862?i=1000509447522 

Article referencing above video on SARK Coaching Clinic...

Steve Sarkisian breaks down offensive philosophy at coaching clinic

ByKEVIN FLAHERTY 8 hours ago

Coaching clinics often provide the best look at what a coach's real philosophy is. Some college coaches get a bit cagey when asked to discuss their Xs and Os with reporters, but in a room surrounded by their coaching peers, that guard comes down and they often provide an unvarnished look not only at what they're running, but why they're doing it.

And that's why an Atlanta coaching clinic that hosted now-Texas coach Steve Sarkisian was such a fascinating look into his coaching ideology. The clip, which can be found on YouTube and will be posted just below, comes after the 2019 season, when Sarkisian just completed his first season as Alabama offensive coordinator, and before this year's explosion that both led Alabama to the national championship and cleared the way for Sarkisian to land the Longhorn head coaching job.

The video is about 40 minutes in length, with Sarkisian's presentation going nearly 34 minutes of that time before he answers a few questions.

While Sarkisian now has his own head coaching job, much of what he found success with at Alabama figures to carry over to his new stint in Austin. And how he approaches offense philosophically could provide some insight into what Texas fans will be able to see play out on the field this season.

So here's a look at some of the bigger points from Sarkisian's talk, along with some of the plays that he ran through and why they're successful.

"WE DON'T THROW SLANTS" 

10281995.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,of

Sarkisian talked about how both Alabama and when he was with the Atlanta Falcons used the RPO (run-pass option) game. On one play, Bill/Brim Gap, two wide receivers block and one wideout runs an out route for an easy completion. To stop defenses from jumping that route, Alabama ran a variation of that route called “break to daylight.” Here's a look at that variation.

10282000.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,of

“I think a lot of people when they watch us play, they think we throw slants. We don’t throw slants. We throw really, glance routes," Sarkisian said. "So he’s going to fourth outside step and he’s breaking to daylight. So why I say break to daylight is, if it’s man-to-man, he has to win. If it’s Cover 3, he’s going to get into the window. If it’s Cover 2, when it’s a two-high safety and you’re trying to trap with your corner, we’re going to wrap that defender and get into that voided area. So we really give him an option to break to daylight."

GOOD NEWS FOR BIJAN ROBINSON FANS

There's only one passing option on Bill/Brim Gap; the 'Z' receiver. And while Sarkisian said he would occasionally add more, he cautioned against getting too complex and losing the willingness to run the ball.

"And I don’t want to make this too simplistic, but it is important to know: we’re blocking on the back side right now, but at any point, we can put other routes on here on the back side [with the wide receivers]," Sarkisian said. "And the hard part with this as an offensive coach and a guy who believes in running the football, I’ve never had a year calling plays in college football where we did not have a 1,000-yard rusher, so I believe in running the ball, is if you give the quarterback too many options, all you do is throw the ball.

"Well at some point, in my opinion, you lose the identity of your program and you lose the identity of physicality and toughness that this game is built upon," Sarkisian said. "Like this is a physical ass sport. That’s the truth. So we all want to throw it and it’s fun, but a lot of times, we put more blocking on our RPOs than most people would think …" 

"RPOS ARE OPPORTUNITY THROWS"

Sarkisian said the advantage to RPO plays was that 1) they often resulted in easy completions since the quarterback was only throwing the ball when he had an advantageous situation to do so and 2) that his teams could dress the play up in different ways to get their best receiver running the route. He showed a play with the Atlanta Falcons, for instance, where the Falcons flexed out tight end Austin Hooper to the outside and were able to complete an easy RPO look to him. Hooper caught 71 passes for the Falcons in 2018 with Sarkisian as his offensive coordinator.

"So for opportunities, in my opinion, RPOs are opportunity throws," Sarkisian said. "And they give the quarterback an opportunity to get a free completion—an advantageous throw, right? So for us, sometimes it was using our tight end. Maybe he was the best player we had, that we could create that matchup with to create that throw." 

ON TO PLAY ACTION

10282062.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,of

When teams attempt to slow down Sarkisian's RPO game, it's time to go over the top.

"To me, where we have made way more hay this year as an offense — we averaged eight yards a play at Alabama this year — has been the play [action] pass with the illusion of RPO," Sarkisian said. "Like to me, if I’m a defensive coordinator, and I’m going into the game and I’m saying I’ve got to stop the RPO, so I’ve … got to stop the run, I’ve got to worry about the quarterback, are they a quarterback run team or not? We are not one. Well now, if all you’re worried about, now your middle field safety’s hanging at 10 yards, well you better be able to cover a post route, too. Like that’s a very big deal to us.

"If you watched us play at all this year, even if you watched our bowl game against Michigan, the first play of the game, we gave the illusion of an RPO, of that same break to daylight, had the safety trigger on DeVonta Smith and hit Jerry Jeudy for an 85-yard touchdown," Sarkisian said. "So to me, if you have levels to what you do in your RPO world, this is where the game really gets going and gets run on offense."

NO QUARTERBACK RUN GAME

Sarkisian talked about making the most of what a quarterback was comfortable with. But he also said that, at their core, Alabama with him at offensive coordinator steered away from the quarterback run game.

"That’s kind of the world we live in," Sarkisian said. "We are not a running quarterback team; we’ll not ever be that way. We believe in throwing the football and protecting the quarterback.

“… The whole idea to me is having an offense that you have layers to," Sarkisian said. "And I’m going to try to keep trying to build on the layers as we’re talking here because that’s really important."

"THE GAME IS ABOUT EXPLOSIVE PLAYS" 

10282052.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,of

"Our belief is, if you play Cover 2, we’re going to run the football anyway and we’re going to have success. All right? So if you’re going to play man-to-man, how are we going to beat you in man-to-man to create explosive plays? Because the game is about explosive plays," Sarkisian said. "If you can’t create explosive plays, it is really hard on offense. I don’t care if it’s in little league or in the NFL, to put 10-to-12 plays together successfully in a row without one of your guys screwing it up is really hard to do. And I know we got great coaches in the room, I’ve been around great coaches, it is really hard to do. So how do we find explosive plays?"

On Wave, the post route from the slot is an 'alert' route against man coverage because he's running into vacated space. But on a number of the clips that Sarkisian showed, the 'Z' receiver, who initially gives the appearance of a "break to daylight" route before sprinting across the field, often broke open and was a great target on the opposite hash down the field after the safeties had been run off by the two deeper routes.

"RAILROAD IS WHAT WE DO" 

10282043.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,of

"Not very elaborate, but that’s what we do. Over and over and over again. And it’s moreso the formations, the motions, the shits, how we get to them are what make it unique," Sarkisian said. "But for me, it’s about the quarterback and how can the quarterback play the best that he can play? And so we don’t change concepts. I’m not gonna out of the blue tell the ‘Z’ to run a post route right here. I will never do that to our guy. Our reads remain the same, over and over and over. And the kids will be like, ‘Coach, if we just run …,’ I don’t want to hear it. It’s not what we do. So Railroad is what we do. If you watch us play, we will hit this minimum, more than once a game."

MORE GOOD NEWS FOR BIJAN ROBINSON FANS

On Railroad, the running back out of the backfield is the primary option. And Sarkisian said it was important to make the running back a major part of the passing game.

"My opinion, the least defended player on the field in the pass game is the running back," Sarkisian said. "So like this year, Najee Harris was our running back, he caught 30-something balls, seven touchdowns coming out of the backfield. If you watched LSU, right, which we all probably did in the national championship, their kid (Clyde Edwards-Helaire) killed everyone catching the ball out of the backfield. So when you go to your drop back game, let’s not neglect the running back and just think, ‘Hey, every time we gotta have six-man protection and he’s got to block.’ How about, they better cover this guy? They better cover him. And it doesn’t always have to be a flat route. Like why does it have to be a flat route? Put him on a wheel, put him on a rail, do something with the guy so he can make his plays and have opportunities down the field."

"I DON'T LIKE THROWING THE BALL TO A STATIONARY TARGET"

Later in the clinic — and we detailed this a bit later — Sarkisian talked about his disdain for curl routes. But before he got there specifically, he talked about the importance of always connecting to receivers on the move.

"I will say, I am a firm believer — and sometimes people laugh at me, not laugh, but they’re kind of like, ‘Well, never?’ — I don’t like throwing the ball to a stationary target. Because I’m as slow or I’m as fast as Julio Jones at that moment," Sarkisian said. "Let’s get the guys catching the ball on the move, like catch the ball running. Let them do what they do, right? That’s what they’re best at." 

TEACHING A PROGRESSION-BASED PASSING ATTACK

Sarkisian talked about the importance of keeping the same progression all the time.

"So for the quarterback on both of these concepts (Railroad and Drive), we don’t ever change," Sarkisian said. "We don’t change week-to-week. We don’t go into the game saying, ‘Hey, this week we’re gonna do it this way, next …,’ no. It is one, two, three, four, five (reading progressions) football. Like that is how we play. We don’t vary. We don’t say, ‘Hey, we want to do it this way this week or…,’ I don’t know kids can learn like that. Like I’m just not a believer in them playing that way. And so this is kind of how we teach." 

TYING IT ALL TOGETHER

"We’re an RPO team that runs the football if you’re going to let us run the ball. And we will continue to run the ball," Sarkisian said. "The moment you say, ‘We’re gonna take away the run,’ our system is built to throw RPOs. OK, how do you take away an RPO? You take it away with leverage, in my opinion, you play man, you play with really hard inside leverage. You take away those throws.

"All right, so now what do we do? OK, we have to make you defend throws down the field," Sarkisian said. "OK, so we are gonna hard play pass you and take our shots down the field. OK, well now you’ve got to block them a little longer. You’ve got to do those things a little longer. Do you have options for the quarterback to let the ball get out of his hands and play a little quicker? Now we’re going to run crossers at you. Everybody is catching the ball on the move, over and over and over.

"If you watch us play, we don’t throw … I don’t even know if I called a curl route this year. Why would I? You call curl routes for Cover 3," Sarkisian continued. "How many defensive coordinators in here, raise your hand? How often do you just call Cover 3 nowadays? I mean, it’s too easy. Because I can RPO you, your defender has to react and I’m gonna play catch every time. Every time. So you have to be prepared to beat man-to-man and do it that way with people on the move. And in my opinion, your people on the move, you can create by putting your best players are the ones on the move to catch that ball to go create explosive plays.

"And so it kind of builds its way all the way through it," Sarkisian concluded. "So when you talk about a progression passing game, our progression passing game starts, yeah, RPO. It goes to play pass. Then it goes to drop back where we’re reading one through five. But it is truly a progression of how we install it and how we go through it to get to where we are come game day."

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-Steve-Sarkisian-coaching-clinic-offensive-philosophy-161730253/#161730253_1

• Hook 'Em 1

Thx @Machinator

IT Team Notes...    WR's and TE's

*Freshman Troy Omeire, the buzz of camp last August, is running and lifting with the team, but he’s still limited. The hope is he’ll be fully cleared in time for spring ball, with the later start (March 23rd) working in his favor. At a bare minimum, he’ll be good to go for summer workouts and passing sessions but we suspect he’ll be activated for part of camp at least.

*Safeties are rotating so much we’re not sure what’s what.

*Ditto on WR’s. For Monday we’ll try to get more detail on the skill guys. We know they’re liking the speed of Kelvontay Dixon. But we also know they intend to throw the ball to Bijan a ton because he’s a playmaker as a receiving threat. There’s a chance this WR group surprises to the upside, though, especially from the slot. The staff does feel like they can create some mismatches.

*Early returns on early enrollees:

- Juan Davis is adding muscle. He came in looking like a muscled up WR, now he’s starting to look like a TE. He’s only around 6-2 and some change, though.
- Take it with a grain of salt because it’s early, but they’re liking the way Gunner Helm moves for his size. He’s all of 6-foot-5, with some lower body strength, too.

• 2 weeks later...

(Eric Nahlin) Spring Roster Audit: Offense

Wide Receiver
Jake Smith: As a recruit he was versatile and explosive but as @rodofdisaster noted over beers yesterday, he’s become a bit stiff at Texas. I still think he has both vertical slot and slot machine attributes. Along with Bijan and a quarterback to be named later, he should become one of the three points in the triangle RPO offense. He’s fast enough to play Z also.
Jordan Whittington: He’s a slot machine with enough wiggle and burst to take short passes a long way. He’s a better route-runner than we’ve seen thus far but his strength is getting the ball in space and making something happen. More slot-specific than Smith. Obligatory: needs to stay healthy.
Josh Moore: I think he’s more dangerous after the catch than we’ve seen. Sometimes that’s a function of scheming. He has shown the ability to climb the ladder and make contested catches. The threat of Bijan will make it easier to get behind defenses. I like him at Z but he could be a slot, or a guy the coaches elect to move around. He’s a slippery dude but needs to get stronger.
Troy Omeire: He’s a boundary X receiver but he could be used creatively to help convert 3rd and medium. He’s a big, strong receiver but also has surprising speed. He doesn’t just win with size and an absurd catch radius, though he does that too. Alpha mindset.
Kelvontay Dixon: Like Moore, he can play inside and out, but the best use of his speed is on the outside. HOWEVA, he creates separation with his route running and could easily profile to the slot. Billy Pittman was the high school evaluation but Dixon has the potential to be more well-rounded. Needs to get stronger.
Marcus Washington: I keep predicting a breakout for a player I liked quite a bit in high school (funny how bias works) but I’m not seeing the consistency out of him I’d like. He‘s an X but will need to keep refining his route running to beat man coverage. He can’t reliably win with size or speed.
Al’Vonte Woodard: He can play any of the three receiver positions but has bodies in front of him at each spot. He has a good, strong frame and reliable hands, but the speed he was known for early in his recruitment isn’t a differentiator. He’s on Gaskamp watch nevertheless.
Kai Money: Money played admirably given his 12th Man talent level. I’m not sure we see much of him in the Sark era but he can provide depth at slot.
Jaden Alexis: Speed and strength gives him real upside. Can be a vertical slot or slot machine. He could probably even play running back like his father, Rich. If the veterans in front of him don’t perform, he’ll be ready to give it a go.
Kennedy Lewis: Athletic with solid hands. Lewis has ideal size and speed for Z. His problems have been more in the classroom. This is a big spring for him. A new staff means a new lease on life. He needs to take advantage.
Dajon Harrison: He got hurt, then opted out of the season so he’s a bit of a mystery. He was dynamic as a recruit with the ability to play corner in addition to receiver. A position switch wouldn’t be too surprising based on his ability.
Tight End
Jared Wiley: He’s a dual-threat as a blocker and receiver, but how good or great he is at each remains to be seen. He’s a willing blocker and quality receiving threat but there’s still a lot of growth left in him in each regard. Part of the eval was him being on a longer developmental curve. He’s right on schedule. He’ll see the most snaps of all the tight ends thanks to his versatility. NFL player.
Cade Brewer: Really more of a traditional H-back than tight end, especially after the injury he suffered as a freshman limited his athleticism as a receiver. Should be a value add in 12 personnel but he’s not the best option for 11 personnel.
Brayden Liebrock: “We like him,” said a source last year. That didn’t answer my question of why he wasn’t playing more. Tom Herman taking projects at tight end when his scheme was co-dependent on them was....dumb. But Liebrock is a real talent and Sark stands to benefit from Herman’s miscalculation. Liebrock could become a real weapon in 12 personnel or 11 when flexed out. He’s not a great in-line blocker and probably never will be, but if he becomes serviceable it makes him really tough to not play him. Sark likes his specific fits at tight end and it’s not hard to see Liebrock carving out a niche as a flexed TE like Jahleel Billngsley at Bama. Billingsley was a chain mover in the passing game.
Malcolm Epps: Epps is another receiving TE who could make 12 personnel rather dangerous, or 11 if he’s not asked to win blocks. We’ve heard whispers he may elect to transfer after he graduates in May but it’s encouraging he’s still with the team. A creative OC finds ways for Epps to hurt you while not asking too much of him as a blocker.
Gunnar Helm: Helm should be the heir apparent to Wiley as a do-it-all TE, especially if Ja’Tavion Sanders plays defense, but it remains to be seen how good he is as a receiver and blocker. He can be adequate at each, but can be good at one or both roles? As we’ve reported, he’s impressed in the weight room and on the field in agility drills. Good early signs.
Juan Davis: It’s hard to have a clear read on Davis, but my strong suspicion is he can be ultra-Brewer as a dangerous H-back. You want him as a secondary blocker on bigs or a primary blocker on back-seven defenders in space or on arc blocks. He’s a guy they’ll motion around. He has tremendous hands so don’t sleep on him as a receiver. Since the second he committed I’ve wondered about him as an OLB. If he ever moved to defense he’d be an X-backer.

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Seems like he dropped a lot of balls in the pros but he was a hell of a talent.  Can’t remember the last Texas TE that approached him as a receiving threat. 

He didn't have the upside that Finley had but Irby was about to have a really nice season and career before he almost lost his damn leg in 2008. Amazing he ever played again at all.

10 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

He didn't have the upside that Finley had but Irby was about to have a really nice season and career before he almost lost his damn leg in 2008. Amazing he ever played again at all.

He caught a TD pass in Collie Station for the eternal scoreboard game.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Don't forget, we have Sanders coming in this summer/fall. Could create a lot of disruption at the tight end position.

Yep, and I did forget about him because I've been up since 5 this morning. Between jeans Helm, we're gonna be ok. I'm just hoping Sanders can/is willing to block. 

On 4/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, Lhorn said:

Seems like he dropped a lot of balls in the pros but he was a hell of a talent.  Can’t remember the last Texas TE that approached him as a receiving threat. 

If we are talking old school TEs, I still have a soft spot for Pat Fitzgerald. Found the following while looking for his pro career (which is in something other than sports) saying he was the rare All American on the field and in the classroom. That guy was nails  during my time on campus.

https://texassports.com/news/2011/11/12/111211aaa_438

Horns 247 has him as the 2nd best TE at Texas ever

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/All-time-Tight-Ends-32167/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...