Washer repeatedly tripping braker

hookem2010

I bought a used washer that has worked fine for the last year. Recently, it started tripping the braker every few wash cycles. I would love to limp along for the next 3 months until I move and get a new one anyway, but also don't want to burn the house down.

Any thoughts on what's going on that would cause this and how urgent of a problem it is to correct? My location and hours make it difficult to get a repair guy to come out and take a look.

Do you have another plug close enough to move the washer to a different circuit to verify it is not the plug or breaker?

Otherwise it could be multiple issues with the washer. If you have a meter, you can do some fairly straightforward checks that may help identify the issue.

24 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I bought a used washer that has worked fine for the last year. Recently, it started tripping the braker every few wash cycles. I would love to limp along for the next 3 months until I move and get a new one anyway, but also don't want to burn the house down.

Any thoughts on what's going on that would cause this and how urgent of a problem it is to correct? My location and hours make it difficult to get a repair guy to come out and take a look.

When does it trip and does it seem consistent?  e.g. always when starting, sometime during washing, only if non-cold water chosen (ie heater needed)

First thing I would try is make sure set to only using COLD water to avoid having it use the main electricity draw of the heating element.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EE2B said:

Do you have another plug close enough to move the washer to a different circuit to verify it is not the plug or breaker?

Otherwise it could be multiple issues with the washer. If you have a meter, you can do some fairly straightforward checks that may help identify the issue.

good advice.  Use a heavy extension cord and plug it  in elsewhere. If it trips a different breaker, you've got a washer issue. If it doesn't, you've got a breaker failing. 

• Like 2

My guess is something is making the motor draw too much during the start of the spin cycle.  Either motor getting old, rusting or just goobery bearings.  Run a empty load on the lowest water level and see if it still trips.  

I'm actually surprised though because modern washers are so finnicky and have so much electronics they have error detections for all sorts of things. 

6 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

Don't buy Matag washing machines

Now you tell me.  Three times my washer just flat out stopped working, I mean it had no response from the stupid ass fake knobs.  Twice it just started working again a few days later. 

The most recent time I learned how to go into diagnostic mode and cleared the error code and it was back to normal.

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Now you tell me.  Three times my washer just flat out stopped working, I mean it had no response from the stupid ass fake knobs.  Twice it just started working again a few days later. 

The most recent time I learned how to go into diagnostic mode and cleared the error code and it was back to normal.

I fought that for 4 years then it quit for good.