What was your first football game to attend?

Longboard Horn

Grew up so poor I couldn’t attend games until after I graduated and got established in my career. Couldn’t afford the extra cost of game package at school either. I think the first game I ever attended was in 2012. Kind of sad but it is what it is. As far as Texas games go that is.

Had an uncle take me and my cousin to the Texas A&M/Virginia tech game when I was in junior high. Marcus Vick was the QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

Random game at DKR in 1980 (I was 4yo) that I don't remember well, other than Texas won the game. Maybe Rice v Texas. I went down to the field level and the cowboys were walking Bevo around the track. They stopped and put me on his back long enough for my mom to snap a picture. I never forgot that, and my heart was branded as a Longhorn fan ever since.

My brother (7yo) and I also snuck into the Longhorn locker room after the game after getting autographs on the field. Hung around until one of the players looked over and said, "who's kids are these?". We ran back outside to the field and heard Mom scream our names. Mom was pissed, but we felt like we played the game too. Hook 'Em, forever.

Edited by Droopy
  • Hook 'Em 3

First Texas game, vs. Texas A&M 1976 in then Memorial Stadium.  Ugly game.  Ugly weather.  Even worse after the game.  Fog set in on my drive to Houston on 290 so thick until I got to Brenham I couldn't even see the side of the road to pull over.  I was scared to death someone would be stopped in the road.  I could barely see beyond my hood.

January 1, 1962 Cotton Bowl, Texas vs Ole Miss.  I was 6 months old.  My folks had two tickets, figuring that they didn't need one for me since I was a babe-in-arms.  The ticket guy at the gate said that they couldn't take me in without a ticket for me and was quite insistent.  My Mom handed me to him and said, "Watch him until we come back." and started to walk in.  He hastily changed his mind, and I got to "see" the game.  Of course, I don't remember any of this.  This is according to my Dad.

• Haha 1

I know I was at a game when I was 4-5, there is a pic of me and my mom.  That would've been 79 or 80.

1st game I do remember was early 80's...83 or 84.  Edwin Simmons was the RB

Back in those days, you could go underneath the stands on the West side of the stadium and watch the players come on and off the field...the locker rooms were on that side prior to the South endzone.

I was 9 or 10 or so and just remember thinking how friggin huge they all were. 

You could also run around on the turf after games.  What a time to be alive.

Also around that same time I remember seeing a game at Texas stadium...I assume it was Texas playing SMU.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas- Fall '88 Texas vs North Texas State.   We wont it at the gun on a fade TD pass.  NTSU took a late lead and the game looked lost.

NFL- LA Rams vs Cle in the old Big A in Anaheim, near where i grew up in Fountain Valley.  Dave Cahill (older TE for the Browns) was a friend of my Dad's and we got his tickets, must have been around 79-81 ish

1977 Texas vs Rice at Memorial Stadium. Earl's final year. Fred Aker's first year.

67 yard FG by Erxleben. Coming off of 5-5-1 , DKR 1976 season, his last. We were not supposed to supposed to win shit.

Everything changed that season when we dropped OU, 13-6 , losing 1st and 2nd string QBs in the game, and leaving it to the 3rd stringer for the rest of the 11-0 year, before getting dumped by the domers in the Cotton Bowl.

1972 - Miami vs Baylor - Baylor Stadium.  My grandpa took me.  It became our thing to do over the next 10 years.  Never paid for one game.  He knew most of the ticket takers.  Anyways,  it was Grant Teaff's first home game as coach (don't neg.).  Also got to see Chuck Foreman playing for Miami.  Bears won.

First time I saw Texas at Baylor stadium was in 74.  Didn't matter how old you were or who your favorite team was... if you followed football in the state of Texas, you knew who the Longhorns were.  I will never forget standing next to the locker room and watching them come out. The white uniforms were awesome to behold back then too.  A cool side story, my son-in-law's Dad was on that Texas team.   That's all I have to say about that day.

Probably some unimpressive SMU game in 62-63 was first college game  I was in high school ROTC and we ushered games at the old Cotton Bowl.  I didn't watch closely, as I had to work it. First Longhorn game was the 1964 Cotton Bowl Classic. Older brother was a plebe at USNA, I was a high school junior planning on attending UT.  He got the tickets, but I had the most fun. No work involved.

I still like to gloat.

Edited by abuelo gringo

My first UT game in person was 10/3/70 against UCLA at Memorial Stadium.  My dad and Mom took me with them the first year they had season tickets.  I can still picture Cotton Speyrer's fourth quarter TD catch that capped the come from behind win.  I still have those same seats.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 4

November 28, 1997 vs Texas A&M. My Dad drove us out to College Station to watch aggy beat us in the worst storm that I've ever seen in my life. I couldn't see the game because of the torrential downpour, and when we fired Smokey the Cannon in the rain, the rain push all the smoke back over the stands making it even worse.

But I got to say that I saw Ricky Williams playing in the flesh, and I got to see Mackovic get fired.

1972 - UK/IU @ Stoll Field, remember standing by the fence behind the endzone as UK’s game winning FG went wide left.  

1979 - Cowboys /  Bengals.  Roger vs Anderson. Cowboys kicked ass, Pirates won the NL East that day also on their was to winning the WS. 

1980?  Texas / SMU - Pony Express / ABC game.  

October 10, 1964 at the Cotton Bowl.  My first UT game and my first time at the state fair.  My granddad took me and my mom to the game and my grandmother had the task of keeping my two younger bros occupied while we watched the game.  The Horns kept Joe Don Looney in check and we smashed the okies 28-7.  Following the game, my grandparents took me to a tent where Texas Governor, John Connally, was pressing the flesh.  They tried to coax me to introduce myself to the governor, but I refused.  The game, the State Fair of Texas, and being with my grandparents made it one of the best days of my life.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

October 10, 1964 at the Cotton Bowl.  My first UT game and my first time at the state fair.  My granddad took me and my mom to the game and my grandmother had the task of keeping my two younger bros occupied while we watched the game.  The Horns kept Joe Don Looney in check and we smashed the okies 28-7.  Following the game, my grandparents took me to a tent where Texas Governor, John Connally, was pressing the flesh.  They tried to coax me to introduce myself to the governor, but I refused.  The game, the State Fair of Texas, and being with my grandparents made it one of the best days of my life.

Damn, thought I was old. That was 2 weeks before I was born.

4 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

1987 Bluebonnet Bowl vs Pitt.   Talk about players etched into the memory - Metcalf, the Cash twins, Britt Hager, Stanley Richard.  And some dude named Heyward played for Pitt. 

Stanley Richard, the Sheriff? Or do I have him confused with someone else. Seems like he was with the team in the 90s. Nvm. I was thinking you said 1977. Time for eye check.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

56 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

1987 Bluebonnet Bowl vs Pitt.   Talk about players etched into the memory - Metcalf, the Cash twins, Britt Hager, Stanley Richard.  And some dude named Heyward played for Pitt. 

Was there too as a kid.  How can you mention that game and not throw in Tony Jones?

8 catches for 242 yds, 2 TDs

My first game as a student at UT was hosting #6 Syracuse and playing to a 21-21 tie.  Not bad.  Of course we went on to suck (5-5-1) and Syracuse went onto suck to that year too, so not impressive at all.  Probably got wasted though...so not all was lost.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

1986 SMU at Texas. I was 9. We won but everytime something exciting happened the adults around me would all stand up so I missed all the big plays.

Man, this might have been the greatest day of my college life. Had a set-up date who was out of my league but had just broken up with her dude and ready to cut loose. This was a tight game that we won in the end, and after and dozen or so cocktails at the Hole In The Wall we went back to her place, fucked like rabbits, and passed out.

I wake up 2-3 hours later and it’s only like 11PM and the chick is still sawing logs, so I cruised and went to a big-ass house party where I almost immediately ran into a chick I went to high school with that went to SMU and had broken up with her dude the day before. Partied, went back to my place, fucked like rabbits, and at like 4AM decided we were hungry and went to Magnolia. Walking in from the parking lot I come across a roll of $20s rubberbanded together, about $600 in all; that amount of money for my financial situation back then would be like me finding $20K today.

Pretty sure I’m never topping that one...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

I moved to Austin in 1983 but I was just settling in so my first chance to go was 1984. No matter how much I think about it I can't remember attending a game until 1990 versus Colorado which was my second year in school. We were sitting in the visiting section and we were giving some coeds that had drove down for the game a hard time since we were winning. First time sneaking in drink in the boot and getting a hell of a buzz. Coeds also had a buzz since we shared. Eric Bieniemy was a beast and in the end made my friend and I look bad since we lost.

Edited by DanTheHorn

First game of the 1965 season. Tommy Nobis and the boys played Tulane.  I think the game was moved to Austin because of a hurricane.  Horns won 31-0.  Sadly, the friend of my dad's who gave us the tickets, a couple of years later put a shot gun in his mouth.

Edited by alphahorn