What was your first football game to attend?

Longboard Horn

The first Texas game I actually attended that sticks in my mind was the 66-3 loss to winless UCLA in Mackovic's last year. It was sickening to watch, I think we were one of the first top 10 teams to completely fall out of the polls as a result. But I'm pretty sure I've attended at least one game before that, just too young to remember. There was a gap before that year where my family couldn't attend too many games.

Edited by satyanash

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The first Texas game I actually attended that sticks in my mind was the 66-3 loss to winless UCLA in Mackovic's last year. It was sickening to watch, I think we were one of the first top 10 teams to completely fall out of the polls as a result. But I'm pretty sure I've attended at least one game before that, just too young to remember. There was a gap before that year where my family couldn't attend too many games.

I am truly shocked that this wasn’t actually the first game you attended, but it’s the first one you remember. The ones before this must have been wins. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

@SydneyCarton @Hiphopopotamos @Ricky's one-hitter @Burt Macklin @golfclap

You're trolling you're trolling you're trolling you must be.

• Haha 1

giphy.gif

LOL.  Dead serious.  '90 Cotton Bowl v. Miami.

Though, we were too poor to afford to go to any games growing up, my mom used to drive me around downtown the night before TX/OU games.  Having pride in my state is what turned me into a Longhorn.  I didn't have any family connections to the school.

5 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

West Texas State 1967 vs Colorado St

WT had this guy playing for them

mercury.jpg

For me it was WTSU vs. the UNT Mean Green back when I was a cub scout... early 1980s.

First Texas game? This one:

It was one hell of a great way to start a long tradition. :)

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  Dead serious.  '90 Cotton Bowl v. Miami.

Though, we were too poor to afford to go to any games growing up, my mom used to drive me around downtown the night before TX/OU games.  Having pride in my state is what turned me into a Longhorn.  I didn't have any family connections to the school.

That was my second game.

That game sucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

That was my second game.

That game sucked.

Best part...  

I was in high school.  My parents had planned a pretty fancy (for us) trip to DC the week before the game.  We were set to be back 2 days before the 1st.  We ended up in a car wreck in VA and broke an axle.  I flipped out thinking I was going to miss the game.  Parents knew how important the game was for me (first one and I had just gotten accepted to UT), so we drove straight through to get into town the night before the game at about midnight.  Just in time to head over to a hotel by the Galleria to pick up the tickets.  I felt pretty satisfied walking into the stadium the next day.  Oops.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You summoned me to this cesspool to point out that’s Wescott Satyanash’s formative football experience and continued masturbatory fodder was the Route 66 game? That’s the least surprising thing I’ve read this month. The second least surprising would be that he was 20 when he watched that game and his family had been season ticket holders and regular attendees for decades. Fuck. That guy can’t even get an erection unless someone he knows or one of his pets has died.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I've done some shoddy research and have yet to see a game with as large of a difference between the spread and the final score.  Wasn't Texas favored by around 20?

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

You summoned me to this cesspool to point out that’s Wescott Satyanash’s formative football experience and continued masturbatory fodder was the Route 66 game? That’s the least surprising thing I’ve read this month. The second least surprising would be that he was 20 when he watched that game and his family had been season ticket holders and regular attendees for decades. Fuck. That guy can’t even get an erection unless someone he knows or one of his pets has died.  

You say that like it's a bad thing.

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Believe it or not, it's true. I've said as much on the shag.

I have a picture of me as a toddler at a UT game, so I've definitely been to at least one before that. But too young to remember.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. I went to some games with my dad when I was really young. After he passed I didn't go for a while, the rest of my family weren't football fans. I was nine or 10 when I went for Route 66.

A game that absolutely nobody remembers. Texas at Texas Tech in Lubbock in 1980. I was 7 years old and the whole place literally smelled like shit. Somehow UT lost and the tech fans were ecstatic and intolerable. It was miserable.

For an encore my next UT game would be the 84 Texas OU tie game in the rain. Couldn’t see shit the whole game due to all the damn umbrellas in the way.

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My first UT game in person was 10/3/70 against UCLA at Memorial Stadium.  My dad and Mom took me with them the first year they had season tickets.  I can still picture Cotton Speyrer's fourth quarter TD catch that capped the come from behind win.  I still have those same seats.

That's pretty damned cool

6 hours ago, bullet said:

First Texas game, vs. Texas A&M 1976 in then Memorial Stadium.  Ugly game.  Ugly weather.  Even worse after the game.  Fog set in on my drive to Houston on 290 so thick until I got to Brenham I couldn't even see the side of the road to pull over.  I was scared to death someone would be stopped in the road.  I could barely see beyond my hood.

I was at the game. 14 years old and sitting in the upper deck. My dad always liked to say "it never rains on game day", WRONG. Seemed like a monsoon, and freaking Woodard ran ALL over UT that night. Aggy copied and mocked the crowd with "Wooooo" chants all night long.

Not sure when our dad (BA '57) took my brother and I to our first game or who it was against, but most likely 1969 or '70 when I was 7 or 8 and him 10-11. I do remember our first jerseys being  #14 (Eddie Phillips) for my bro, and #12 (Marty Akins) for me. Been Hooked ever since. 🤘

Pre season game in the early 70's, Saints vs Cowboys at Tulane Stadium.  Superdome was almost done but not quite.

Cowboys wore their blue jerseys, so of course they lost.  I was around 5 or 6 and wearing a Cowboys shirt of some kind.  Exiting the stadium some older kids yelled at me "Cowgirls suck, haha Cowgirls suck!"  I was ascared.

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

First game of the 1965 season. Tommy Nobis and the boys played Tulane.  I think the game was moved to Austin because of a hurricane.  Horns won 31-0.  Sadly, the friend of my dad's who gave us the tickets, a couple of years later put a shot gun in his mouth.

I didn’t realize Kurt Cobain was that old 

1996 vs. New Mexico State at 4 years old with my grandpa and mom. Good one to take a kid to. Went to a few others in the years following according to pictures I've seen , but unfortunately the next one I remember was 1999 vs. NC State. I remember my mom told me to stop crying and sing The Eyes after we had lost. Good times.

4 hours ago, UhhhIdk said:

2008. 45-35 win over Sooners. Family got tickets at the 50 yard line. I heard it’s considered a classic? Don’t know tho, spent the whole game with my eyes glued to the phone texting first ever girlfriend. 

Embarrassed Shame GIF

My first game I remember was 76 Arkansas.  Last game of DKR and Frank Broyles. 

I was 6 and had to piss before half so I went to the bathroom during the game and missed a Texas score.  My dad told me tough shit, if I can't wait until half he's not going with me, so I got a little lost getting back to our seats.  In hindsight, I have to admire his commitment to the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a child in the 70s, and living in the Dallas area, we always went to Rooster Andrews for our UT “game day gear”. A year or two after Earl was already with the Oilers, I wanted a Longhorn “Campbell” Jersey, but with #34. My Dad said that isn’t right and I should go with #20. About that time, prior to them making my jersey, out came Rooster. He basically said, “Son, your Daddy is right and Earl wore 20 with the Longhorns, but if you insist and your Dad I’d buying, I’ll have you one made with 34”.

Might be the only “Campbell” jersey made in burnt orange - with 34. At least in my eyes/memory! I wish I still had it!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've done some shoddy research and have yet to see a game with as large of a difference between the spread and the final score.  Wasn't Texas favored by around 20?

We outgained UCLA that game; IIRC they only had about 350 yards of offense....

edit - wrong on both counts; we got outgained 393-303...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

I lived in Snyder until 3rd grade in 1984. My first Texas game was in Lubbock in 1982 with about half of Snyder there to see Tony Degrate. My dad was a junior high coach and my mom was a junior high English teacher. Both of them had him in school in the mid 70's and he was a local celebrity.

I also remember going to Snyder HS football games earlier than that. I presume Tony Degrate was on the field for most of those games, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

1990 Houston. My ears are still ringing. 

Dammit.  Missed that one by a year.  Heard about it a lot when I arrived in '91 to watch bullshit football for 4 years.  As soon as I left, Ricky showed up.  Then Mack.  Then winning.  Then an MNC.  Fuck it all!

I did get to see Texas lose to Aggy in person twice.  Texas lose at Houston by a lot at the Astrodome.  Texas give up a million yards in back-to-back weeks to Salaam and Curtis Martin(?)  Texas lose to Louisville at home.  And, oh yeah, my dumbass girlfriend convinced me to drive to Ft. Worth for a game against TCU.  I believe it was Texas' first loss to them in like 25 years or somesuch.

On a positive note, I think I saw all 4 Peter Gardere wins against OU.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Game 1 of the 2002 season versus UNT. It must have been the hottest 7p start ever, I just remember sweating my balls off in bad seats in a rout. It was like 35-0 at halftime if memory serves and I left and had white salt stains on my burnt orange shirt from roasting in the first half. It was enough that I didn't go to a second, non-RRS game until 2007 against Tech where I got so drunk at a tailgate I lost interest in the 2nd quarter, hailed a cab in a pre-uber era, and ended up in South Austin doing a bunch of blow behind a truck in a parking lot before I came to out of a blackout and realized that I somehow ended up at a friend's game watching party.

30 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I lived in Snyder until 3rd grade in 1984. My first Texas game was in Lubbock in 1982 with about half of Snyder there to see Tony Degrate. My dad was a junior high coach and my mom was a junior high English teacher. Both of them had him in school in the mid 70's and he was a local celebrity.

I also remember going to Snyder HS football games earlier than that. I presume Tony Degrate was on the field for most of those games, too. 

Lol, I grew up in Lamesa. Your memory is a little off but close; Tony Degrate graduated from high school in 1980. My cousin lined up at tackle across from him for years and got his shit pushed in on a consistent basis.

Snyder had a beast of a basketball team then too. Nolan Richardson was the coach at WTJC (they won the national JUCO title when he was there) and his son Brad was a 6’6” dunking machine playing alongside Tony D against a bunch of skinny-ass cotton farm white boys. Some dreadful beatdowns in the old 4-3A....

24 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dammit.  Missed that one by a year.  Heard about it a lot when I arrived in '91 to watch bullshit football for 4 years.  As soon as I left, Ricky showed up.  Then Mack.  Then winning.  Then an MNC.  Fuck it all!

I did get to see Texas lose to Aggy in person twice.  Texas lose at Houston by a lot at the Astrodome.  Texas give up a million yards in back-to-back weeks to Salaam and Curtis Martin(?)  Texas lose to Louisville at home.  And, oh yeah, my dumbass girlfriend convinced me to drive to Ft. Worth for a game against TCU.  I believe it was Texas' first loss to them in like 25 years or somesuch.

On a positive note, I think I saw all 4 Peter Gardere wins against OU.

Gardere was 89-92.  It's ok, though, the memory of those 4 weekends of your college career are supposed to be a blur.

One of the first games that I “vividly” remember was around 83-84, when the hyped up Bo Jackson and Auburn came to Austin. Our seats were close to the Auburn fans section and I kept hearing “War Eagle”! I asked my Dad why they were saying that, because they were the Tigers? All he said was don’t worry about that and watch the game! As a “youngster” I was like “OK?”

Horns won and that was all that mattered in the end of things - pre-internet days and it took a while before I knew that was their “chant/rally cry”.

November 20, 1978....Oilers vsDolphins.  Monday night football.  I was 8 years old, at this I probably didn’t even know about college football.  My parents never went to college.  My dad loved football and so did I.  The Oilers were our team.   My old man surprised me with Oilers tickets for my birthday that year.  (Must have been a huge financial sacrifice fir my parents).  So we go to this game and see the greatest Monday performance ever by Mr Campbell...Been a Longhorn ever since.  

1 minute ago, Ignatius said:

Lol, I grew up in Lamesa. Your memory is a little off but close; Tony Degrate graduated from high school in 1980. My cousin lined up at tackle across from him for years and got his shit pushed in on a consistent basis.

Snyder had a beast of a basketball team then too. Nolan Richardson was the coach at WTJC (they won the national JUCO title when he was there) and his son Brad was a 6’6” dunking machine playing alongside Tony D against a bunch of skinny-ass cotton farm white boys. Some dreadful beatdowns in the old 4-3A....

Well yeah, 1982 was his sophomore year at UT. I was in Kindergarten in 1979 which was his senior season in high school and my dad was taking me to HS games then, so I'm not that far off. But I was 5 years old, so maybe I am. 

My dad had him on his Jr High basketball team in... I guess ~1976 or so? My mom says that he was the biggest 8th grader she had ever seen. 

44 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

On a positive note, I think I saw all 4 Peter Gardere wins against OU

Ricky: 1995

Mack: 1998

Aggy losses all 4 of your years

Lost a close game to Cougar High in the Dome in “91, won on a Thursday night in ‘93. 1989 was the year we got smoked up there (along with 1987)

Martin (away) and Salaam (home) were in 1994

We beat Louisville at home in 1994, lost to them on the road in 1993

TCU game was on my birthday, 1992

Gardere was 89-92

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

Very first one was a Cowboys game in the 80s with Danny White at QB.  I was like 5 or 6, an don't even remember who they were playing.  I remember Danny White though, cause we ate at some place (in Burleson, I think? I want to say it was on that road where Spinks is, but I might be fucking that up since my dad lives out that way) that had his handprint on the wall on the way back.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol dude your calendar is all over the place....

Ricky: 1995

Mack: 1998

Aggy losses all 4 of your years

Lost a close game to Cougar High in the Dome in “91, won on a Thursday night in ‘93. 1989 was the year we got smoked up there (along with 1987)

Martin (away) and Salaam (home) were in 1994

We beat Louisville at home in 1994, lost to them on the road in 1993

TCU game was on my birthday, 1992

Gardere was 89-92

That's crazy.  I would have bet money that the TX/Houston game was in '92 or '93.  I just recall that they lost.

'94 sucked because I blew out my knee sometime around Sept. and had to crutch to every game.

I thought we lost the Louisville game at home.  I was wrong.  Maybe I'm thinking of Auburn in '91.  I do recall watching the week before (Miss St) at the Rec Center.

Also correct about Gardere.  I don't recall them losing to OU when I was there in person, but maybe I only went to 3 games.  Jeebus I'm old.

I remember going to the Horns vs UH, in the Astrodome around 85-86. Texas’ QB threw like 2-3 pick sixes and that damned “Air Raid” siren seemed to be constantly blaring!
That was one of the first times I’d seen the Horns lose “in person” and it was BAD! Coogs won like 60-40? Long quiet ride home that night.

9 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Back in those days, you could go underneath the stands on the West side of the stadium and watch the players come on and off the field...the locker rooms were on that side prior to the South endzone.

I was 9 or 10 or so and just remember thinking how friggin huge they all were. 

My son was 3-1/2 when we took him to his first game in 1996.  We watched the visitors walk under the west stands to their locker room. They looked huge to him. Later, we walked down the ramps along with thousands of the rest of y’all and the support cables were squeaking. I told him that noise was the bats.  The next day, he told his grandma that football players lived in caves.

Btw, my first game was UT vs UH 1976. We had shitty seats in the lower horse shoe. Earl was injured. Houston 30, Texas 0. That sucked.