What was your first football game to attend?

Longboard Horn

8 hours ago, wood said:

1st football game: Bedicheck vs Murchison.

1st Texas  / College football game: Texas 20 - Auburn 7. Good stuff. That defense ... Holy shit. Then in '84. Jerry Gray ran Bo down from behind & broke him.

My first game as well.  Well the 84 game.

I may have attended, in part, a Texas-OU game because my Scout troop sold programs there, but I was agnostic at the time,  Would have been late 70s or early 80s.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

The first Texas game I actually attended that sticks in my mind was the 66-3 loss to winless UCLA in Mackovic's last year. It was sickening to watch, I think we were one of the first top 10 teams to completely fall out of the polls as a result. But I'm pretty sure I've attended at least one game before that, just too young to remember. There was a gap before that year where my family couldn't attend too many games.

The rest of you fools merely adopted the dark satyanash was born in it.  Molded by it.  He didn't see the light until he was already a man - and by then it was nothing to him but blinding.

He's Dexter sitting in a pool of blood in a shipping container for two days as a toddler.  How could it not effect him - shape who he was?

Shipping Yard Massacre | Dexter Wiki | Fandom

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The rest of you fools merely adopted the dark satyanash was born in it.  Molded by it.  He didn't see the light until he was already a man - and by then it was nothing to him but blinding.

He's Dexter sitting in a pool of blood in a shipping container for two days as a toddler.  How could it not effect him - shape who he was?

Shipping Yard Massacre | Dexter Wiki | Fandom

*affect

• Hook 'Em 1

1973 or 1974 or so, (I was 6 or 7) , Fort Lewis College hosted Dennison. NAIA special. It was -12 degrees at the top of College Hill in Durango, CO. I loved it. Then we moved to Kingsville, and I spent the next decade watching Texas A&I triple-option bulldoze their way through everybody on their schedule, only to come to Texas in the mid-80s, where I was met by "Akers away from Cotton" t-shirts. Oh, well. 

Wandered the football wilderness, with a few notable bright exceptional spots (Eric Metcalf breaking everybody's ankles, Stanley Richard confusing the hell out of Houston, Peter the Great herp-derping OU before herp-derping became cool, Steelers-Roll-Left) until Ricky came along and gave us something to really feel good about.

1974 Texas vs aggy, Horns scored 14 points in the first minute of the game. Glorious!  I remember being cold the whole game, and I just looked it up and I can see why. Wind chill of 20 degrees.

An aggy band member's tuba came apart during the Half Time performance and was laying on the field. Their band had to march around the tuba as I remember.

54 minutes ago, Classic Rock said:

1974 Texas vs aggy, Horns scored 14 points in the first minute of the game. Glorious!  I remember being cold the whole game, and I just looked it up and I can see why. Wind chill of 20 degrees.

An aggy band member's tuba came apart during the Half Time performance and was laying on the field. Their band had to march around the tuba as I remember.

halftime national championship.  wall-worthy.

Aside from attending high school games at an early age, my first pro game was in the early '70's (elementary school) watching the Cowboys vs the Packers in the Cotton Bowl.

First UT game was during my senior year of high school watching Edwin Simmons run over Rice in 1983.  We all know how that season ended. I had high hopes as an entering UT freshman in '84.  We also know how that turned out for the next forever years.

Fast forward to 2010.  My daughter is a freshman at UT.  Texas is just coming off of great campaign.  She is really looking forward to the coming years as a student and football fan.  We all know how that turned out.  Charlie.  That is all.

My first grandchild attended her first game at the age of 4 months last year at the UT vs WV game in Morgantown.  Texas won.  The family curse has been broken.  She is being groomed to be a third-generation Longhorn!

First football game: Parrish HS (Selma Al) vs Lanier (Montgomery.) I was a Selma fan, and got to see Lanier drub them, while my Dad (who had played at Lanier alongside Bart Starr) hooted and cheered for the Montgomery enemy.

First college game: early 70s,  my Boy Scout troop got to go to the Auburn-Georgia Tech game for free as ushers. Beforehand, they tried to get us to do "War Eagle" cheers. I declined. Did not give a damn about either team, mostly remember we were underdressed for the cold. We all ate ice cream to get warmer.

First college game was Virginia Tech vs. UCF in 2001.  Notable only because we flew into Washington 2 weeks after 9/11 and drove over the the pentagon the day before the game.  Buddy was interning at a TV station in Richmond and so we had press/field passes for the game.  I was close enough to stroke that giant growth on Beamer's neck for most of the game.

First pro game was 2008 Bears vs. Packers on a Monday night in Soldier FIeld.  Bears won in OT.

Didn't grow up going to football (or any kind of college/pro sports) games - so these were in college and after.

First college game was the 2003(?) Cotton Bowl - Texas vs LSU, the one where Roy Williams went off. I was 10, my dad took me. Not a big Texas or LSU fan, just thought it'd be cool to see two big programs in that venue (narrator: it was). Sat on the Texas side so that was cool. Always rooted for Texas after that (now alum not t shirt fan). First actual game probably some Lewisville HS game. Never been to a NFL game and probably never will unless tickets are free. Just don't really have allegiance to a pro team beyond my fantasy team.

I don't remember all of the early ones I attended, but I do know that I was at the game where Ricky broke the rushing record. Probably a good chance that was my first game.

Some of the early ones I remember being at are the loss to NC St in 99 and the loss to corn in San Antonio later that year. I remember thinking how strange it was to watch football in an air conditioned building.

I was in Lubbock in 2002 when Tech tore down the goalposts after beating us. 

The losses seem easier to remember from an early age, even though most games I attended would have been wins. We had season tickets up until 2003 or 2004 and I was at the Kansas and Tech games in 2005. Those were fun.