2020 US Open -- Winged Foot

smwhorn

There are 11 guys under par right now and half the field hasn't teed off yet. In 2006 only one player shot below par at -1 after the first 18. 
There's plenty chance I'm wrong and the other 3 days are just brutal compared to today, or some weather blows in, but I'm not seeing it. These guys are almost playing a different game right now. I'm guessing the USGA is looking at equipment or ball changes so every course on tour doesn't have to extend to 8,000 yards. 

I have a feeling the USGA will make some adjustments tomorrow and the weekend and we’ll see scores start to rise a bit.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

i loved it when Matt Wallace had his caddie tend the flag when Wallace was in the fairway about 50 yards from the pin.  it was Wallace's third shot on a par 5.  he promptly hit it fat about 20 yards  and proceeded to make bogey. what a twat.

let's see how this amateur holds up the rest of the round.  impressive start.

this actually happened?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

There are 11 guys under par right now and half the field hasn't teed off yet. In 2006 only one player shot below par at -1 after the first 18. 

There's plenty chance I'm wrong and the other 3 days are just brutal compared to today, or some weather blows in, but I'm not seeing it. These guys are almost playing a different game right now. I'm guessing the USGA is looking at equipment or ball changes so every course on tour doesn't have to extend to 8,000 yards. 

forget par 5's.  these guys make a mockery of 500 yard par 4's with 330 yard drives and 170 yard 8 irons.  the biggest thing is the forgiveness of modern clubs to off center hits. 

the only way to make them pay is long rough, hiding pins, and slick as shit greens.  I'm thinking 3 or 4 guys get to under par.  even the traditional straight but not long drivers hit it 300.

Edited by dcar00

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

What was JT looking at in the trap on his last shot?

There was an object behind his ball. He can move it if was a rock but not if it was a clump of sand. He wasn’t sure what it was so he called an official. He wanted to know if he could test it. Official said no. Play away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Mike Davis showing how close to the edges tomorrow’s pins will be

42F626BF-45F8-4E14-95ED-DE81BAA283F9.jpeg

If they're even on the green.

And here we go to 15 - where the USGA has decided to place the pin on top of a 4x4 electrical box. I'd imagine Rahm here is going to try and edge this one up close to have a good shot at chipping into the hole.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

With 7 guys in clubhouse at under rounds all the way up to -5, I’d have more confidence if I were you. This is my way of saying even if you were included to bet, I don’t think I’m that stupid. Yeah, it’s going to get harder. No, we’re not cracking double digit under par numbers like most other majors. Yes, there is something to what you’re saying. I could see a really low number for a US Open. 

Yeah I was going to ask if you were sure about that bet once Reed and JT and Rory were all up there at 3 or 4 under. Rory was actually quoted yesterday saying that he doesnt think the course is as tough as Oakmont was in 2016.

But again, it's the US Open and things could get really tough for them really quickly.

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

There was an object behind his ball. He can move it if was a rock but not if it was a clump of sand. He wasn’t sure what it was so he called an official. He wanted to know if he could test it. Official said no. Play away. 

Could the official have been any less help there? The guy kept saying it's up to you, it's your decision, if it improves your knowledge or lie it's a stroke. Said the same when Justin asked if an object in front of the ball that looked the same as the other clump would constitute help if he found that it was sand and the same response.

Also, Gary Woodland's attire was just turrible. As was Rory Sabbatini's shirt.

Justin Leonard was just saying on Golf Channel he thinks the low scores are likely by design. Having the tournament this time of year means they have less daylight. Everybody thinks they can win the US Open on Thursday. He thought some of the Thursday afternoon rounds might take 5.5 hours and there would be guys who have to quit with five holes to play. It will be harder tomorrow and murderous on the weekend. Justin went on to say that guys that know they're going to miss the cut tomorrow afternoon will pick up their pace of play, etc.

At any rate, Justin has turned into a very, very good golf analyst.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Could the official have been any less help there? The guy kept saying it's up to you, it's your decision, if it improves your knowledge or lie it's a stroke. Said the same when Justin asked if an object in front of the ball that looked the same as the other clump would constitute help if he found that it was sand and the same response.

Also, Gary Woodland's attire was just turrible. As was Rory Sabbatini's shirt.

IMO, thats what they should do if they dont have a clear view that it is a loose impediment.  player can always drop 2 clubs away in bunker with a one stroke penalty, which is basically with the official was saying.  you can't touch the sand to check any condition or learn info without incurring a penalty.

• Like 1

So Finau just took a drop from a hazard area. He dropped it twice right at the edge of the hazard and I guess it rolled back into the hazard both times. That then allowed him to place it nicely on top of the grass for an easy chip. I guess the rule is place it if it rolls back into a hazard twice on a drop? Nice way to use the rules to your advantage.

Course playing 2 strokes harder today so far. Average round coming in at +2. Pieters and Wolff being early casualties off the leaderboard. Bubba and DJ moving in the opposite direction. Dechambeau hanging in there.

Guessing one of three of Rahm, Rory, JT will keep it even or below and stay towards the top of the board. I think Louis is going to get his ass kicked.

Oh shit - didn't catch that Rahm was already on the course. Add him to the casualty list.

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

cutline is currently shown as +3, it will likely move up as the day continues

only 8 players currently on the course are under par today

US Open website scoreboard has a cool feature that shows what the projected cut will likely be at the end of the day. It uses the current scores and the current average on each hole still left to play by every player to determine what it will take to get in the top 60 and ties. Pretty cool. Predicting +6 now -- that covers 98 golfers right now so you can see the models are predicting a 30-car pileup this afternoon.

https://www.usopen.com/scoring.html

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Course playing 2 strokes harder today so far. Average round coming in at +2. Pieters and Wolff being early casualties off the leaderboard. Bubba and DJ moving in the opposite direction. Dechambeau hanging in there.

Guessing one of three of Rahm, Rory, JT will keep it even or below and stay towards the top of the board. I think Louis is going to get his ass kicked.

Oh shit - didn't catch that Rahm was already on the course. Add him to the casualty list.

We'll see. The conditions are going to be tougher this afternoon and there's only two below-par rounds posted thus far -- DeChambeau's 68 and Watson's 69.