2020 US Open -- Winged Foot

smwhorn

Reminder there is no 10-Shot Rule at the US Open.

Does anybody know what the playoff would be Sunday? I know it's 2-hole aggregate and then sudden death -- do they play 17 and 18 and then 18 over and over until they get a winner? I can't find the info anywhere online.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Does anybody know what the playoff would be Sunday? I know it's 2-hole aggregate and then sudden death -- do they play 17 and 18 and then 18 over and over until they get a winner? I can't find the info anywhere online.

I missed that change.

thats so lame.

right up there with starting a man on second base in extra innings in MLB.

I hate us Americans sometimes. Always so impatient .

Edited by UTexasFight

48 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Jordan starts with a sweet three putt.  left his birdie putt about 6 feet short, then missed that after it lips out and goes 5 feet to the right.  he thankfully made that but is already muttering to himself.  this is gonna be a long day, i'm afraid.

Bogeys on 3 of the first 4. I’m wondering if a MC here (after a MC last week at the Safeway Open) will be a turning point where he decides he needs to change something with his team / practice / preparation.

Just now, Auto Driller said:

Bogeys on 3 of the first 4. I’m wondering if a MC here (after a MC last week at the Safeway Open) will be a turning point where he decides he needs to change something with his team / practice / preparation.

I'd imagine he'd wait until after The Masters to think about that but if he looks like shit at a place he's played so well maybe he'll finally pull the trigger.

23 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Nm 

Edited by TonyTexas

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Reminder there is no 10-Shot Rule at the US Open.

I didn't find anything, but looking at the course layout a 1 & 9 play out & back, but they will want to finish on 18. 

So I'm guessing the go back to 17, since they have to drive somewhere because 10 doesn't play towards 18 tee; 11 does that but if you're driving to a tee might as well go to 17.

Winged Foot Golf Club (West): Course Tour | Courses | Golf Digest

Edited by Wally Fairway
picture added

33 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I missed that change.

thats so lame.

right up there with starting a man on second base in extra innings in MLB.

I hate us Americans sometimes. Always so impatient .

I'm not a huge fan of the 18-hole, next-day playoff but it was unique. I've always liked the British Open's 4-hole playoff. I think the PGA Championship is now a 3-hole playoff. You've got to remember their daylight isn't as extended as it would be in June but I think this change was made before the date changed on this. Or am I wrong on that?

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm not a huge fan of the 18-hole, next-day playoff but it was unique. I've always liked the British Open's 4-hole playoff. I think the PGA Championship is now a 3-hole playoff. You've got to remember their daylight isn't as extended as it would be in June but I think this change was made before the date changed on this. Or am I wrong on that?

Oh I could understand if the change was specific to this year. Completely get that.

The change was made before last year’s tournament 

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

as bad as that sounds, it is amazing that Jordan is currently 1 shot outside the projected cut; I'm not sure if I'm actually rooting for him to make the cut and have to endure 2 more rounds of (self) abuse

The good news is the back nine is supposed to be the harder side, I think. Ugh, but a 41 on the back isn't, um, ideal.

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

as bad as that sounds, it is amazing that Jordan is currently 1 shot outside the projected cut; I'm not sure if I'm actually rooting for him to make the cut and have to endure 2 more rounds of (self) abuse

I hope Spieth somehow squeaks in... He's got to keep playing, and maybe something clicks that helps him play better.

EiJUQnHWAAI-0Wm?format=png&name=medium

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I hope Spieth somehow squeaks in... He's got to keep playing, and maybe something clicks that helps him play better.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you, what keeps rolling around in my mind is "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results" ..... IMO something has to be changed. But I wouldn't have any idea what that would be.

17 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

At this point I think a missed cut may be a good thing for him. Whatever system he has in place now clearly isn’t working and I think enough time has passed where it’s pretty clear it’s not going to change absent some major adjustments. More time for that to settle in is better than squeaking under the cut line and hacking around the course for another two days.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He needs to take a one month hiatus and totally change everything. Waiting until The Masters is insanity and wasting time. Playing like he’s playing now is an embarrassing regression. He’ll be off tour in a few years if he keeps this shit up. He’s on the Duval path. 

Maybe Spieth should go see Scheffler's guy in Dallas -- I think it's Randy Smith at Royal Oak...

Edit:  Yep, Old quote -- "Texas coach John Fields accompanied Scheffler during his nine-hole practice round with Brooks Koepka and Max Greyserman. Royal Oaks pro Randy Smith, Scheffler's teacher since Scottie was 6, had hoped to be in Wisconsin on Wednesday but was unable to make the trip."

Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He needs to take a one month hiatus and totally change everything. Waiting until The Masters is insanity and wasting time. Playing like he’s playing now is an embarrassing regression. He’ll be off tour in a few years if he keeps this shit up. He’s on the Duval path. 

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Spieth should go see Scheffler's guy in Dallas -- I think it's Randy Smith at Royal Oak??

https://golf.com/player/randy-smith/

I'm torn because I know Cameron McCormick pretty well. I even took lessons from him for 2-3 years and heard about Jordan from him when he was 11 or 12, probably. But something's amiss. It might be time for a new voice in his ear. It's crazy that a professional golfer on any mini-tour, much less a 3-time major champ and former Player of the Year, can't find the fairway with any consistency.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Anybody know Jordan's career-worst round because that's where he's headed right now.

I beleive it's something like 84. He's had some epic meltdowns. 

*82. And that was way back in 2013. He's had a handful of 80s.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/jordan-spieth-quad-second-highest-score-pro-career/amp/

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ztejas owes me $20,000. 

Not while Reed is 4 under. Bryson in the clubhouse at -3. 

Edited by ztejas

I kind of want Tiger to miss the cut so I don't have to watch him every other golfer when he's 13 strokes off the lead. 

"We know there are a dozen guys within 5 shots playing the back 9 right now, but let's cut to Tiger who has 26 feet here for par"

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Rory needs a new caddy that can help him with reads on the green, because his speed is almost always money - he just can't ever find the hole. Diamond either sucks at it or is too afraid to give his two cents. 

And Tiricio just called Hideki Morikawa. Yikes.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I kind of want Tiger to miss the cut so I don't have to watch him every other golfer when he's 13 strokes off the lead. 

"We know there are a dozen guys within 5 shots playing the back 9 right now, but let's cut to Tiger who has 26 feet here for par"

He is fucking FIFTEEN SHOTS OFF THE LEAD and they just showed him tee the ball off. Are there just less guys on the course than I think right now? Jason Day is just 5 over and they just showed him for the first time since I sat down an hour ago.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He is fucking FIFTEEN SHOTS OFF THE LEAD and they just showed him tee the ball off. Are there just less guys on the course than I think right now? Jason Day is just 5 over and they just showed him for the first time since I sat down an hour ago.

Jimmy Johnson is in the lead with 15 laps to go. In other news, Danica Patrick has moved up to 27th.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Don’t know but shooting 80 uninjured is a time to step back. Moving forward with one more tournament without a major re-work is really dumb. 

3 guys under par today. 5 for the tourney. Ztejas owes me $20,000. 

ztejas = Corby Davidson? 😉

Edited by C-Man
Corby was convinced the US Open was ruined yesterday because so many players went low.