2020 US Open -- Winged Foot

smwhorn

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Probably due to DeChambeau’s transformation and prominence. But Bubba is by far the bigger douche. Bubba and Fatrick make me insane and I route for their failure. I want Bryson to grow up with ant piles and rules officials. But he’s not an unabashed cheater like Fst Pat, and not nearly as much a prick and attention whore as Watson. 

Yeah you can say what you want about Bryson, but he clearly loves golf about as much as anyone on tour. He lives and breathes that shit and works his ass off. 

Obviously he can be a bit of a neurotic, whiny headcase, but I think he has potential to be a crowd favorite if he can mellow out a bit and win some majors. Or he can somehow get more pretentious and absurd on and off the course and lose all his fans. 

At the end of the day golf fans love watching guys with huge personalities win - even if they are kind of assholes.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Probably due to DeChambeau’s transformation and prominence. But Bubba is by far the bigger douche. Bubba and Fatrick make me insane and I route for their failure. I want Bryson to grow up with ant piles and rules officials. But he’s not an unabashed cheater like Fst Pat, and not nearly as much a prick and attention whore as Watson. 

We will agree to disagree here on Bubba/Bryson.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Totally depends on the conditions. According to Xander the head agro USGA guy was “fucking embarrassed” after the high scores Thursday. 

If today holds form, nobody will finish over par. Nobody. 

Why is it that the usga has such a hard time figuring it out? Saw a tweet where WF is taking over, that the people at WF were pissed as the first round progressed. Guess that means a lower water bill,  save on gas for the mowers.

10 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Aaaaaaand this is what I've been saying about them not being able to make it hard enough to create scores as high as they want. They're going completely overboard and you still have a guy in the clubhouse 4 under. I'm guilty myself of saying that the course at the Northern Trust was too easy for DJ to shoot 30 under - yet a lot of talking heads were absolutely astounded that you could do that on that course. The talent combined with the equipment is just bananas right now. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next couple of years the PGA has to institute some more stringent restrictions on equipment used. I just don't know what they would do. I know I've heard the idea of a uniform ball being played that doesn't carry as far, but I feel like telling pros "you have to play with this ball" would piss a lot of people off. 

I think the USGA is still probably pissed about how low everyone went at Erin Hills in 2017.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Aaaaaaand this is what I've been saying about them not being able to make it hard enough to create scores as high as they want. They're going completely overboard and you still have a guy in the clubhouse 4 under. I'm guilty myself of saying that the course at the Northern Trust was too easy for DJ to shoot 30 under - yet a lot of talking heads were absolutely astounded that you could do that on that course. The talent combined with the equipment is just bananas right now. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next couple of years the PGA has to institute some more stringent restrictions on equipment used. I just don't know what they would do. I know I've heard the idea of a uniform ball being played that doesn't carry as far, but I feel like telling pros "you have to play with this ball" would piss a lot of people off. 

I think the USGA is still probably pissed about how low everyone went at Erin Hills in 2017.

one word "persimmon"

• Hook 'Em 1

Erin Hills was kind of a Mickey Mouse golf course and had never hosted a PGA event, much less a major. Go find Leonard’s post-Thursday commentary where he talked about why it was a lot easier Thurs than it would be yesterday and the rest of the week. I mean wasn’t the field average 75+ yesterday?

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Erin Hills was kind of a Mickey Mouse golf course and had never hosted a PGA event, much less a major. Go find Leonard’s post-Thursday commentary where he talked about why it was a lot easier Thurs than it would be yesterday and the rest of the week. I mean wasn’t the field average 75+ yesterday?

No - it's a par 70. But it was close to that from a net standpoint. I think it was about 72.5

At least it was early - mah have been higher later on in the afternoon.

Actually you're right - I got my days mixed up. It was around 72.5 Thursday and jumped to over 75 Friday. Apologies.

Edited by ztejas

27 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Only people doing better than Noren right now are the ad men.

I have been watching for 15 minutes now. I think I've seen 4 golf shots. 

What the fuck is going on at NBC. Y'all can visit the EPL thread to see a mass airing of grievances for what they've done to soccer coverage.

21 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

At this point I think a missed cut may be a good thing for him. Whatever system he has in place now clearly isn’t working and I think enough time has passed where it’s pretty clear it’s not going to change absent some major adjustments. More time for that to settle in is better than squeaking under the cut line and hacking around the course for another two days.

He needs to take at least a month off and not even practice.  Completely off.  He’s so inside his own head he can’t out-practice his bad habits.   

I have been watching for 15 minutes now. I think I've seen 4 golf shots. 
What the fuck is going on at NBC. Y'all can visit the EPL thread to see a mass airing of grievances for what they've done to soccer coverage.

It should start to settle down when the leaders tee off but it’s a beating until then and of course Masters coverage spoils the shit out of me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

It should start to settle down when the leaders tee off but it’s a beating until then and of course Masters coverage spoils the shit out of me.

The amount of bullshit non-coverage they air is astounding. At least it's on all day, and you're right, it should get going when Bryson and Reed tee off.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rory just continuing a masterclass in how to miss birdie putts from anywhere on the green. Who wants to bet he misses this 10 footer on #7? I'm saying 5 inches left.

Oh good. I Greenspointed him. 

(Although I'll say he reaaaaally thought about leaving it short)

Edited by ztejas