2020 US Open -- Winged Foot

smwhorn

13 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
22 minutes ago, ztejas said:
That's fine. Doesn't mean he's cheating. 

Doesn't mean he's not. He won one major. Let's tap the breaks on how he's reinvented the game. I do know he didn't do shit before 3 months of down time with nothing but shakes and weights.

He's going to keep winning. And I haven't seen anyone on this thread say he's "reinventing the game". Take it up with the talking heads. 

And he already had a US Am, NCAA Individual and 5 tour wins including the Memorial before today. This isn't some breakthrough win like Morikawa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
27 minutes ago, ztejas said:
That's fine. Doesn't mean he's cheating. 

Doesn't mean he's not. He won one major. Let's tap the breaks on how he's reinvented the game. I do know he didn't do shit before 3 months of down time with nothing but shakes and weights.

He's going to keep winning. And I haven't seen anyone on this thread say he's "reinventing the game". Take it up with the talking heads. 

And he already had a US Am, NCAA Individual and 5 tour wins including the Memorial before today. This isn't some breakthrough win like Morikawa.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

That’s how you add 40 lbs of fat, he added 40 lbs of muscle in one short offseason 

He hasn't come close to adding 40 lbs of muscle. Only way to do that in that amount of time is serious roids. He's bigger. He's stronger,  but not 40lbs of muscle. 

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He might. None of the younger guys have sustained a career after signing a huge deal. I dont know what he has with puma/cobra but I'm sure it isn't what rory or Jordan or Ricky got. But I'll bet his agent is on the phone right now. 

Tough to keep the focus with 100mm in the bank. His brain is weird enough he might do it though. 

I don't like him,  and I think that's fine. Golf needs a heel. Except for Reed. Fuck that guy. 

7 minutes ago, pops said:

He hasn't come close to adding 40 lbs of muscle. Only way to do that in that amount of time is serious roids. He's bigger. He's stronger,  but not 40lbs of muscle. 

Yeah he's big but he's not exactly shredded. If he was this big and had Rory's definition then I might be wondering. 

2 minutes ago, pops said:

He might. None of the younger guys have sustained a career after signing a huge deal. I dont know what he has with puma/cobra but I'm sure it isn't what rory or Jordan or Ricky got. But I'll bet his agent is on the phone right now. 

Tough to keep the focus with 100mm in the bank. His brain is weird enough he might do it though. 

I don't like him,  and I think that's fine. Golf needs a heel. Except for Reed. Fuck that guy. 

Like I said upthread, I think he just loves golf. I'm not sure about your money theory - I'd have to look into it further. I know it isn't true for everyone - a la Tiger, Phil, Rory. I think Kopeka had a big Nike deal before he won his last couple majors. 

But those are like 4 of the 5 best guys of the past 20 years so we'll see. 

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Like I said upthread, I think he just loves golf. I'm not sure about your money theory - I'd have to look into it further. I know it isn't true for everyone - a la Tiger, Phil, Rory. I think Kopeka had a big Nike deal before he won his last couple majors. 

But those are like 4 of the 5 best guys of the past 20 years so we'll see. 

Not saying you're wrong.  But it sure seems like we've seen the new big money crowd kind of flame out after huge deals. Tiger doesn't count... he's been on a todd marinovich tear since age 2. Phil is Phil. Rory hasn't won a major in 6 years. 

Like i said... just a theory but it seems a lot easier now to not worry about purses and trophies when you never have to worry about money again. 

But...bryson has a different brain. Will be interesting to see. That was one of the all time great closing rounds. 

Edit to add.... there are so many great players now that I don't know if anyone is good enough to blow the field away for a sustained period. I also wonder if brysons body will be able to handle the extra weight without injury. Koepkas clearly hasn't. 

Edited by pops

What will designers try to do to Bryson-proof courses?
It will be interesting to see what he can do at ANGC, with hardly any rough - he will be hitting wedge into the par 5's, and #3 is 350 so that is driveable, the fairway bunkers on #18 are carriable and I'm sure there are other holes that he (and Wolff, DJ and a few others) can play past the trouble off the tee.

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Didn’t hear about this at all yesterday. Danny Lee has a breakdown on 18 and then withdraws. 

Missed this the first time through. What a bitch. For the withdraw, not the meltdown. Own it, and get your ass back on the course. It's the fucking U.S. Open.

43 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

It will be interesting to see what he can do at ANGC, with hardly any rough - he will be hitting wedge into the par 5's, and #3 is 350 so that is driveable, the fairway bunkers on #18 are carriable and I'm sure there are other holes that he (and Wolff, DJ and a few others) can play past the trouble off the tee.

Luckily it seems that ANGC isn’t that worried about how hard the course plays. If they wanted to, they could make 13 and 15 par 4’s, grow some longer rough, and Augusta would be the most difficult golf course in the world. 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

About all you can do is make the rough so penalizing waaay down at 330+ that going that long but missing the fairway isn’t still an advantage because of more lofted irons. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

About all you can do is make the rough so penalizing waaay down at 330+ that going that long but missing the fairway isn’t still an advantage because of more lofted irons. 

Courses could start creating landing zones instead of straight, uninterrupted fairways. But that wouldn't be optimal for non-tournament play.

36 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You dial back the gear, the longer guys are still going to be hitting a club or two less approach than the average or below average guys. 

Yeah but there's much more difference between a wedge and an 8 iron than an 8 iron and 6 iron.