Who is the worst Texas quarterback of the past 10 years?

touchthemonolith

With Ehlinger in his third year as a firmly-entrenched starter, and with a good amount of talent coming up behind him, it seems (knock on wood) fair to say that we're out of the post-Colt era of QB mediocrity for the time being. So now that we can start to talk about that era in the past tense, if we're ranking the QBs from the 2010 until ~2018 QB drought, who is at the bottom of the list?

Was it (Super Bowl Champion) Garrett Gilbert, the High School phenom who never lived up to expectations?

Was it (2011 aggy destroyer) Case McCoy, who made some of the best and unimaginably worst plays of the last decade?

Was it (single game total offense record holder) Jerrod Heard, the second highest rated dual-threat QB recruit behind Deshaun Watson who wound up playing WR?

Was it Swoopes? Ash? Someone else?

I'd say let's limit it to guys who actually played. (Yes, Kai Locksley was a guy who was in our QB room at one point in time, but that's no fun to talk about.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 34

Swoops and it's not even remotely close. If you want to talk about least physically talented it's Case and that's also not close- but beat OU & forever scoreboard for A&M in the same year and I won't ever talk shit about you, no matter how shitty/limited a QB you are. 

Gilbert was wretched. I think Ash basically could have been as good as Sam if his head wasn't a melon.  Heard- yikes.  Buschele- just physically limited- but he would have been a perfect guy to play a chance Mock role in a healthy program. Not a him thing. 

Boy this has been a fun walk down memory lane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

People here have a ridiculously over-romanticized view of how good Heard was because of that one Cal game. He was terrible, and very clearly never bothered to learn the offense during his redshirt year. There's a reason Swoopes of all people took back the starting job from him - people need to re-watch the 2015 game against Iowa State again, it's without doubt the worst performance by a Texas QB this decade.

That being said, the answer is still Gilbert. I don't remember another Texas QB this decade who was literally booed off the field.

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Swoops and it's not even remotely close. If you want to talk about least physically talented it's Case and that's also not close- but beat OU & forever scoreboard for A&M in the same year and I won't ever talk shit about you, no matter how shitty/limited a QB you are

Joe Biden Lol GIF

It's that guy whose coach couldn't remember his name during deposition, and it's not close.

Gilbert.  And while we might not have done him any favors there's no way you could watch him play and think he was a coach's son.

He's someone who always benefitted from his gifts, it doesn't seem unreasonable to discuss on the internet.  

And doesn't he have a Super Bowl ring?

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah fuck that. They can vote. They enjoy the spoils of being the starting QB. They can take criticism from some internet wop named Vito. 

Case McCoy and Swoopes deserve to get some punishment. They were shit awful. 

Oh yeah? Well I’m glad you sat in Spaulding’s vomit. I did have sympathy for you, but no more.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

People here have a ridiculously over-romanticized view of how good Heard was because of that one Cal game. He was terrible, and very clearly never bothered to learn the offense during his redshirt year. There's a reason Swoopes of all people took back the starting job from him - people need to re-watch the 2015 game against Iowa State again, it's without doubt the worst performance by a Texas QB this decade.

That being said, the answer is still Gilbert. I don't remember another Texas QB this decade who was literally booed off the field.

Can we move this to the Pee in Her Butt forum so Satya remembers where to find it next time he’s feeling horny? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Stop telling us what you masturbate to, you sick fuck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I know this is a ballsy website, and few subjects are out of bounds, but I prefer not to shit all over a kid, any kid, who signed his name in good faith to a letter of intent to help the University of Texas.

I don't think any player is above criticism either. But other than that, I completely agree, and I definitely wish I would've named this thread 'Rate the Texas QBs of the Last Decade', which would've better promoted the discussion I was trying to invoke without unnecessary and unwarranted negativity toward any particular player. I tried to explicitly refer to an accomplishment from each player I mentioned in the original post to avoid seeming like this was the goal, but I should've been more thoughtful.

To be clear, every player that's mentioned or not mentioned in this thread received a scholarship to the University of Texas to play football, which means they're tougher, harder-working, and more talented on their worst day than I am on my best. 

Edited by touchthemonolith
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I don't think any player is above criticism either. But other than that, I completely agree, and I definitely wish I would've named this thread 'Rate the Texas QBs of the Last Decade', which would've better promoted the discussion I was trying to invoke without unnecessary and unwarranted negativity toward any particular player. I tried to explicitly refer to an accomplishment from each player I mentioned in the original post to avoid seeming like this was the goal, but I should've been more thoughtful.

To be clear, every player that's mentioned or not mentioned in this thread received a scholarship to the University of Texas to play football, which means they're tougher, harder-working, and more talented on their worst day than I am on my best. 

I’ve certainly talked plenty of shit about players over the years from the comfort of my recliner, so I’m no moral authority. It’s certainly the kind of conversation we’ve all had in a bar with friends. 

16 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Case had some lows, but the dude had some amazing highs as well.  No way he should be in the discussion for worst in the last 10 years. 

This throw against OU, in my book, is one of the best TD throws by a Texas QB.   This is near perfection. 

LOLOLZ. I was going to say something similar that Case’s play was overall dog shit but he had a couple career games against OU and Aggy. Your video shows that near perfect TD throw to Mike Davis, then the next highlight is Case throwing a pick 6 to the DT in front of his face on the next possession. Appropriate. 

Just from gut emotion without much thought, if UT was behind in the second half, I’d probably rank them (descending):

Ash, Buechele, then don’t know who might have some unexpected miracle drive between Case, Heard, and Gilbert, then Swoopes last by far. Mack passed on JT Barrett so we could take a guy that went 1-10 as a senior QB at a 2A school. Damn. At least we got to experience the 18 Wheeler. 

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Not enough neg rep on this thread. I need to make a super neg button that gives -10 rep for posts like this. 

Which is interesting to me. I was hoping for a lighthearted discussion looking back on the team's QB woes in the early-to-middle part of the last decade. It didn't strike me that such a thing would be met with the amount of vitriol that it has, but I cede that I was 100% wrong.

I'll take my negs and try to do better next time.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

This thread has AIDS. Not even the kind you get from a careless rendezvous at Mardi Gras either. The kind of AIDS you get from sharing heroin needles after you suck dick in a dark alley for drug money. 

What sort of AIDS is there for folks whose idea of a careless rendezvous at Mardi Gras is sharing needles after sucking dick in a dark alley for drug money? 

Asking for a friend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Swoops and it's not even remotely close. If you want to talk about least physically talented it's Case and that's also not close- but beat OU & forever scoreboard for A&M in the same year and I won't ever talk shit about you, no matter how shitty/limited a QB you are. 

Gilbert was wretched. I think Ash basically could have been as good as Sam if his head wasn't a melon.  Heard- yikes.  Buschele- just physically limited- but he would have been a perfect guy to play a chance Mock role in a healthy program. Not a him thing. 

Boy this has been a fun walk down memory lane. 

+1

Going off memory it's a tie between Gilbert and Swoopes. 

But since I kept reading in 2009 about how Gilbert was the next coming of Colt McJesus, then it's got to be Gilbert out of sheer disappointment.  Especially as he ushered in the era of despair. 

And how can you say a bad thing about Case?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Going off memory it's a tie between Gilbert and Swoopes. 

But since I kept reading in 2009 about how Gilbert was the next coming of Colt McJesus, then it's got to be Gilbert out of sheer disappointment.  Especially as he ushered in the era of despair. 

And how can you say a bad thing about Case?

I still would love to go back and see Gilbert in a Texas offense from 06-09 and not whatever Mack decided to transition to that neither GDGD knew how to scheme or Gilbert knew how to play in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In my darkest hours, I’ve gone down the mental exercise of what would texas football have been like if ash had not concussed out. I think he was developing into a solid QB that would have given us 2 (?) good years and we wouldn’t have interrupted our QB development cycle.  I get about five minutes in before I feel the need to chug a bottle of bourbon.

That being said, the clear answer is Chase Daniels.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

A) OP is an asshole.

B) a few decent games doesn't make one anything above mediocre.   So all of them.

C) OP in as asshole.

What's interesting to me is that this thread is currently right above another one you commented on filled with four pages of people shitting on Spencer Rattler, insulting his appearance, making all types of jokes about him sucking dick and generally being a homosexual, and you didn't call anyone in that thread an asshole. I think my post is pretty tame in its criticism of former QBs compared to that one of a current QB--Sooner though he is.

Capture.jpg

Interesting choice of when to clutch your pearls.

27 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

What's interesting to me is that this thread is currently right above another one you commented on filled with four pages of people shitting on Spencer Rattler, insulting his appearance, making all types of jokes about him sucking dick and generally being a homosexual, and you didn't call anyone in that thread an asshole. I think my post is pretty tame in its criticism of former QBs compared to that one of a current QB--Sooner though he is.

Capture.jpg

Interesting choice of when to clutch your pearls.

Spencer Rattler has never played a down for UT and he is a meth addled, bag of dicks consuming Sooner.  Fair game.  

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Spencer Rattler has never played a down for UT and he is a meth addled, bag of dicks consuming Sooner.  Fair game.  

Agreed 100%. I know I used cruel and obscene slurs like "never lived up to expectations", "made some of the best and unimaginably worst plays of the last decade", or "wound up playing WR" when describing some of our past QBs. It looks like the punishment for these crimes is to have my rep completely wiped out like @immamac suggested, which is already well underway.

So be it.

• Fuck You 2