Alfred Collins

ztejas

On 12/30/2020 at 5:26 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

morning bump

6'5" 305 of beast mode

coach akers and the '82 defense would approve

personally I would vote for the 1983 defense, #1 in the country, and the funny stat was the D outscored the Texas offense after three quarters against TCU, with two int. run back for TDs.   That was the year Jerry Gray had the best interception in college ever, against Auburn, one handed flying backwards through the air.  This int. the other night is now #3 in Texas history, imo, only behind Jerry's and the int. in the 2006 Rose Bowl.. help me out, was it Griffin?  The int. up against the boundary.  May have been the only int. we had that night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

personally I would vote for the 1983 defense, #1 in the country, and the funny stat was the D outscored the Texas offense after three quarters against TCU, with two int. run back for TDs.   That was the year Jerry Gray had the best interception in college ever, against Auburn, one handed flying backwards through the air.  This int. the other night is now #3 in Texas history, imo, only behind Jerry's and the int. in the 2006 Rose Bowl.. help me out, was it Griffin?  The int. up against the boundary.  May have been the only int. we had that night. 
Yes, Michael Griffin.

..and of course Jerry Gray was truly a War Eagle killer, with that best ever int. in 1983 and breaking Bo Jackson the next year, only after running probably at least 40 yards to catch the man who would end up with one of the fastest 40 times in the history of the combine.  Maybe someday we recruit and develop DBs similar to Jerry.  Probably not.  I would settle for half of a Jerry Gray.  

• Hook 'Em 3

That's crazy that he was turned outside and less than 5 yards downfield from where the pass was thrown, twists his body and drops his paw down on top of the pass to pull it out of the air one handed.  

He keeps his eye on the QB/ball the whole time. As if the opposing OL is insignificant- insane.

7 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Just wondering, is the tackle of #23 (the intended receiver) legal in how he got tackled from behind without him ever touching the ball?

School me.

In terms of pass interference, there is no pass interference once the ball in the air has been touched by someone. As noted above, it had already been touched by AC.

If there had been a return on the INT, I guess you could potentially call that a hold on the return, but there was no return, so that's moot.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Had at least a couple big plays today off the top of my head - seems to me he has another gear that I'm not sure anyone else does on this dline. Type of player where you snap the ball and all of a sudden he's somehow blowing up the RB 4 yards behind the LOS. 

Hope he keeps showing out in practice and getting more PT. We need more guys like him to contend nationally. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

FWIW - IT is reporting that Collins is undecided about returning for his Senior year.  This is significant because at the beginning of the year Collins was convinced he would leave early for the NFL.  It is unlikely Collins play this season puts him into the top 3 rounds, but he's seen what the extra year has done for Sweat and believes he could make the same leap.

Retaining Collins would be one of Texas biggest moves.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - IT is reporting that Collins is undecided about returning for his Senior year.  This is significant because at the beginning of the year Collins was convinced he would leave early for the NFL.  It is unlikely Collins play this season puts him into the top 3 rounds, but he's seen what the extra year has done for Sweat and believes he could make the same leap.

Retaining Collins would be one of Texas biggest moves.

Not surprised. That has to be the pitch from Bo Davis, PK, and Sark. DL depth is iffy next year and bringing him back would be huge. He has played pretty well this year, he is just behind two of the best in the sport.

I don't think he has the upside Sweat has as an anchor/run defender just based on sheer size and physical power but he has the tools to be n even more productive pass rusher. And if he puts together a strong year in the SEC as a true starter, the NFL will be salivating because you know his measurables will be great.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1