Security System for Weekend Cottage

A friend has a small getaway about a mile outside the city limits of a small Texas town (with a police force). A couple of acres, a gate with a lock. Not much of value inside other than a few antiques. Neighboring homes a few hundred yards away. He's been paying ADP forty bucks a month for a full system which includes windows, doors, etc, but it's no longer connected to them by phone. So other than a protection sign and an alarm inside, it's pretty worthless. I don't even think they have a rent-a-cop in the area.

What's an effective way to keep burglars away? With, and without a phone connection? And another question: when he cancels service, will ADP come yank their equipment out of this house?

I figure Simply safe must have some pretty basic stuff that will cause an alarm to sound when set off. It doesn't make sense to hook up every window and door, since there are too many for a burglar to choose from. How about a motion sensor, a smoke detector and a loud alarm bell, and a couple of signs that say "Video Surveillance"?

Also, if he has Spectrum or the phone company re-connect, what else can he get from say a Simply Safe? Is there an inexpensive system that can dial his cell phone and send him images of an intruder? or notify him of smoke?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

So other than a protection sign and an alarm inside, it's pretty worthless

If the alarm will still sound, it's very valuable. A burglar isn't going to know that the police aren't being called. The alarm goes off, and they will run. The monitoring part of the alarm is mostly worthless. The alarm sound and signs are the value, IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1

A friend has a small getaway about a mile outside the city limits of a small Texas town (with a police force). A couple of acres, a gate with a lock. Not much of value inside other than a few antiques. Neighboring homes a few hundred yards away. He's been paying ADP forty bucks a month for a full system which includes windows, doors, etc, but it's no longer connected to them by phone. So other than a protection sign and an alarm inside, it's pretty worthless. I don't even think they have a rent-a-cop in the area.
What's an effective way to keep burglars away? With, and without a phone connection? And another question: when he cancels service, will ADP come yank their equipment out of this house?
I figure Simply safe must have some pretty basic stuff that will cause an alarm to sound when set off. It doesn't make sense to hook up every window and door, since there are too many for a burglar to choose from. How about a motion sensor, a smoke detector and a loud alarm bell, and a couple of signs that say "Video Surveillance"?
Also, if he has Spectrum or the phone company re-connect, what else can he get from say a Simply Safe? Is there an inexpensive system that can dial his cell phone and send him images of an intruder? or notify him of smoke?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Print the address here and I can give you a better assessment.
  • Like 1

He has no connection right now to phone or the web. Spectrum would give him both, probably for $45 or so per mo. The local phone company has gotten pretty expensive, or so he's said. They doubled his rates, which is why he quit paying for it.

Has anybody used any of these lower-priced systems? Simply Safe looks like an easy setup. I know I could Google it, but sometimes the "hidden" questions can only be answered by users or ex-users.

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Motion activated floodlights on the gate and outside of the house would make most hesitant to proceed.

Just remembered, he has two donkeys that graze the area - and love sugar donuts. And the gate is thirty feet from a two lane paved busy road. Although, an inside motion sensor that could set off outside flood lights would serve to alert neighbors. Might be a good idea. Also, just talked with Spectrum. They still don't service that area.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Sounds like the house is a bit isolated. I'm sure the meth heads in the area know which neighborhoods are prime thieving vs others. What I''m saying is there's prob not much he can do to stop someone with conviction from burgling the house. Cameras and motion sensor lights are somewhat of a deterrent. But if the meth heads have done their due diligence and scoped the place, they'll know when no one is there.

Best bet is to capture the assholes during the deed. If he had internet, he could have Arlo or other web based motion sensor cameras to film the act. Also the prominent display of cameras may serve as some deterrent, to those looking for a quick thieving anyway. But since he doesn't have internet, the best option is to have a wired camera set up. Again at least he'll have footage to give to the cops who won't do anything anyway.

And get to know the neighbors. They may also call the police for him if they see the motion detection light trigger. Or shit, they may be the ones thieving, which is what my buddy who has a lake house thinks when his house was burgled a few times before he became drinking buddies with his neighbors and people in the neighborhood. The thieving stopped after he got to know them better. Funny how that works.

People need to stop falling for the trap of monitored security. While I’m sure they have helped more than zero situations, I’ve never personally know anyone that had a crime prevented, home invasion stopped, etc.  Honesty, I know very few people who have ever had their home broken into. it’s a false sense of security that the person on the other end of that phone is going to save you or your property.

alarms, signs, etc are great deterrents. Monitored security is an expensive peace of mind that really isn’t. Notice how they never offer plans based on usage. $5 every time the alarm goes off, false or not. They would be out of business next month.

With no internet the options are limited.  To echo what’s been said, flood lights, wired cameras, multiple signs, and alarm siren (for the doors at a minimum) would all be great but without internet you’re just putting up deterrents but you won’t be able to do anything unless you enlist your neighbors or pay for monitoring.

• Like 1

A local electrician tells me that one of the rural telephone companies offer some kind of protection service. I kind of agree with those who say that having ADP or someone notified when the alarm goes off doesn't do much, although I think they will call the police. (The town has a decent size force.) If I'm not mistaken, the cops will charge you for a false alarm. He's never had a break in. He knows "the neighbors". One guy who lives right across from his front gate.

My biggest concern would be fire. The rock house was built in the late 1800s, and has seen a few upgrades. He's supposed to be looking into that as part of a package.

And as far as meth heads go, I've had two friends who have had run-ins with "meth freaks" in the last few months. Curious. I guess it's a thing. We could be entering a strange time when that border wall gets finished. Should drive down crime, but might also drive up the cost of drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Does your friend close the gate to his land while he is gone or always leave it open?  I'm sorta torn on what to do to minimize trouble during week, can see both ways having cons.

Gate is chained and locked. Intruders will be confronted by donkeys until they produce sugar donuts. I'll try to get an update on what's going on. Last I heard, the local phone company was having computer problems.