Recommend me a getaway cabin

been browsing airbnb and vrbo but wanted to get recommendations.

Looking for a place to rent for a getaway weekend somewhere less than 4 hours from Houston/Beaumont.  I don't care where, as long as it's in the middle of nowhere, has a king size bed, a bathtub for my wife to soak, a porch for me to sit, and a place for the dogs to roam.

(no I'm not planning to murder anyone.  Wife and I have been cooped up like everyone else for 6 months and want to get away)

Seriously, anybody know of any place to rent that fits the bill?

Also where do you look for vacation rentals besides vrbo and airbnb?  Convenient as hell, but I'm sick of giving them money.

"$150 a night for 2 nights?  That'll be $700 when you add taxes, cleaning fee, management fee, owners fee, linens fee, resort fee, oxygen fee, . . ." y'all know what I mean?

26 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Rent an RV.  Now you're already there.

Maybe so.  Funny story, in the last 8 years my dad has gone through 3 tow vehicles, a bumper pull, a 5th wheel, and a motor home but sold them all when his health deteriorated.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, El Diablo said:

I don't know the driving time from your locale but between San Marcos and Wimberley on RR 12 is really nice country and just loaded with places. 

Good answer.  My family used to have a house on the Devil's backbone overlooking the Canyon Lake side off of hwy 32 right between Purgatory road and 3424. Haven't been there in 10 years but you nailed it, that's what I need.

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

Middle of nowhere, you say?

Caddo Lake

Another good answer, thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Maybe so.  Funny story, in the last 8 years my dad has gone through 3 tow vehicles, a bumper pull, a 5th wheel, and a motor home but sold them all when his health deteriorated.

Good answer.  My family used to have a house on the Devil's backbone overlooking the Canyon Lake side off of hwy 32 right between Purgatory road and 3424. Haven't been there in 10 years but you nailed it, that's what I need.

Another good answer, thanks.

I did the google-fu after I posted, little over 4 hours is what they say for driving time. Figure 5.5 if you're riding with a woman. 

lmao.

Very important to bring the dogs, part of the relaxation is i want to sit on the porch, in a rocking chair, and play fetch for hours until the boy dog is worn out.  That's part of the dream, as the dogs have been in their bed sitting next to me in the office for 10 hours a day for the last 6 months.

Just did a beach stay, and they're great but only worth it if it fits into the kids schedule, and they invite their friends, and I rent a golf cart, and end up cooking/entertaining for a huge group. Already do this a few times a year.

When I used to have a beach house my favorite time would be around new years, it was so peaceful - and on those windless, foggy nights it would be eerily quiet - the fog dampened all sounds, including the minimal surf and of whatever few vehicles were on Hwy 87.