Fishing Trip Recommendations

My brother's 16 year old step son has been fighting osteosarcoma for the last year plus and was recently informed that they were no longer going to treat him. They recently took a trip to MD Anderson to discuss some new treatment options, but it's sounding like this will mostly be palliative care. They've given him about a year, so we're going to try to pack as many things into this year as we possibly can. He's really into the outdoors, so he's already been on a bear and elk hunt since his diagnosis. He wants to go fishing in Mexico, Costa Rica or maybe Belize, so I'm asking my fellow Surly degenerates for recommendations for this trip. Want to make sure he catches fish and has a good time, but trying to keep the price reasonable as my other brother and I are trying to finance a couple of these kind of trips for the young man over the next year. Fortunately despite his condition, he feels totally fine right now, so we're hoping to get in a few of his dream trips while he's still up for it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and please feel free to throw out awesome trip suggestions that a 16 year old has probably never considered.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My brother's 16 year old step son has been fighting osteosarcoma for the last year plus and was recently informed that they were no longer going to treat him. They recently took a trip to MD Anderson to discuss some new treatment options, but it's sounding like this will mostly be palliative care. They've given him about a year, so we're going to try to pack as many things into this year as we possibly can. He's really into the outdoors, so he's already been on a bear and elk hunt since his diagnosis. He wants to go fishing in Mexico, Costa Rica or maybe Belize, so I'm asking my fellow Surly degenerates for recommendations for this trip. Want to make sure he catches fish and has a good time, but trying to keep the price reasonable as my other brother and I are trying to finance a couple of these kind of trips for the young man over the next year. Fortunately despite his condition, he feels totally fine right now, so we're hoping to get in a few of his dream trips while he's still up for it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and please feel free to throw out awesome trip suggestions that a 16 year old has probably never considered.

@justhookit to the white courtesy phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

First take Belize off the list because the fishing there sucks. Great diving though.

Benn to Cabo many many times and the fishing can be decent at times but you won’t catch huge numbers of fish like you sometimes do in Costa Rica. I'm not a fan of Mexico anymore but I loved it in the 80s and 90s. Also I think you need to be older than 16 to really enjoy Cabo.

Anyway, Costa Rica has great fishing and tons of other stuff to do that a 16 yr old will enjoy. You want to go in February or March if you can, but the fishing is good late December through April. It’s also great in the summer if you want to target blue marlin but those trips are overnight and really pricy.

During the winter season you’ll generally catch multiple sailfish with decent chances at dorado or tuna if they are around. The last few years the tuna have been there pretty much every time I’ve fished. You also average a shot or 2 at marlin every other day or so.

You want to fish the Pacific side out of Los Suenos (pricy) or Manuel Antonio (cheaper and more to do). My boat is there at the Quepos marina and it’s possible I could take y’all fishing depending on when you go. Otherwise I can recommend some charters there. That will be the most expensive part of your trip. CR is pretty cheap to fly to and they have hotels for all budgets.

As of right now CR is not allowing Texans in but I’m hoping that changes soon. They are letting people from some states in now.

• Like 2

If you get in in your mind to go to Mexico.  I know a boat in Manzanillo.  If ya'll really wanna step off for blue marlin book a trip to the Azores.  I have been considering a trip there myself.  I think I might have one more big fish left in me.

I haven’t priced Azores in a while, but I cannot imagine that is economical.

I would go with Cabo. In addition to a diverse species of fish (various marlin, dorado, wahoo, tuna), there is an abundant charter fleet available that can fit within your budget, especially if you're willing to split a charter.  You can also charter pangas for cheap and target many of those same species or roosterfish right out of the marina. 

There's a ton of great restaurants and places to stay all near the marina, as well as other outdoor stuff like golf and dune buggies. 

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

First take Belize off the list because the fishing there sucks.

I've caught a cooler full of snapper, multiple barracuda, and even a few mackerel on a 4 hour reef fish.   Even spent an hour working on a 30 lb cobia on light line.  I assume you mean deep sea sucks? 

20 hours ago, midtown said:

I've caught a cooler full of snapper, multiple barracuda, and even a few mackerel on a 4 hour reef fish.   Even spent an hour working on a 30 lb cobia on light line.  I assume you mean deep sea sucks? 

Yes, the offshore fishing for billfish and other pelagics is what I meant. The water is beautiful but the fishing is ugly. From the kids list of places he wants to go in pretty sure he wants to do “big game” fishing

• 3 years later...