Does College Football Finish the Season?

MotownHorn

Does College Football Finish the Season?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Does college football play a full 2020 season, including bowls and playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

Voted Yes, but my standard is simply: four teams that played 9+ games reach the CFP and play for the title

Some bowls will fall by the wayside, possibly at the last minute. Some teams will just stop playing if none of their remaining games affect the bowls/playoffs. Some of these "postponed" games will never be played.

But so far it looks like every other sporting venture in 2020: problems in the beginning, people freak out, games go on

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

Voted Yes, but my standard is simply: four teams that played 9+ games reach the CFP and play for the title\

That's a good standard. I tried to phrase the question along those lines. I like it as the standard.

I'm not trying to start a fight just curious on everyone's thinking. My heart says yes but my head says fuck no.

Edited by MotownHorn

7 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think it would take a player in ICU or something drastic to cancel any important games.

I agree that it seems that way at this point. The conferences that are playing are gonna go full speed ahead until it's no longer viable. Same with universities themselves this semester.

Full speed ahead! Play the games and if you are willing to take the “risk” and attend with your mask, knock yourself out!

There’s already been two+ weeks of college football on TV, three weeks of Texas HS football (4A and down), so let them play. As far as I know, there hasn’t been any negative results from playing the games. Maybe increase the capacity of stadiums to 50% and if you’re willing to go - Go!

Frankly, I’m tired of wearing a mask and ready to get this COVID crap behind us!

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Wait until Covid gets mixed in with the flu during flu season.

check all the data from the southern hemisphere in regards to flu impact. It is dramatically reduced YoY.

Australia had roughly 61,000 flu cases in 2019, they had ~700 in 2020. Mask usage, washing hands, travel shutdowns and huge chunk of white collar workforce WFH are making the flu not nearly as big a concern as in normal years.

Seeing ranges of nearly non-existent this year in South Africa, down 84% in Australia, down 40% in Brazil (and Brazil gives zero fucks), Argentina down 64%.

I would be shocked if in the US we see a massive flu upswing in 2020 (compared to normal years).

check all the data from the southern hemisphere in regards to flu impact. It is dramatically reduced YoY.
Australia had roughly 61,000 flu cases in 2019, they had ~700 in 2020. Mask usage, washing hands, travel shutdowns and huge chunk of white collar workforce WFH are making the flu not nearly as big a concern as in normal years.
Seeing ranges of nearly non-existent this year in South Africa, down 84% in Australia, down 40% in Brazil (and Brazil gives zero fucks), Argentina down 64%.
I would be shocked if in the US we see a massive flu upswing in 2020 (compared to normal years).

US gonna US though cause ‘Murcia!!!

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Exactly.  All of the masking and social distancing, closing bars and restaurants, WFH,  limiting large gatherings, that we're doing to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, will also prevent the spread of the flu virus.  And the coronaviruses that cause the common cold.  And all sorts of other illnesses that are transmitted from human-to-human.  Heck, STDs are probably down as well.

So I'm not sure why anyone thinks the flu will be bad this year.  It'll likely be the least impactful flu season of our lifetimes.

Edited by utee94

21 hours ago, Bartles said:

Voted Yes, but my standard is simply: four teams that played 9+ games reach the CFP and play for the title

Some bowls will fall by the wayside, possibly at the last minute. Some teams will just stop playing if none of their remaining games affect the bowls/playoffs. Some of these "postponed" games will never be played.

But so far it looks like every other sporting venture in 2020: problems in the beginning, people freak out, games go on

Exactly.

Conventional wisdom said we wouldn't get this far, and here we are.  Some schools might not finish, but there will be a college football playoff and some bowls.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Wait until Covid gets mixed in with the flu during flu season.
I keep hearing this, but logic tells me flu season wont be nearly as severe as years past due to increased diligence of hand sanitizer/washing, mask wearing and simply lack of large crowds packed indoors.
  • Hook 'Em 1