UT Emails ... Make it STOP!

Hollywood

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

What about the non-stop postcards to update your alumni info?  This is your last chance!!!! No we really mean it!!! OK NOW WE MEAN IT!!! Okay... one more chance!  Hey, did you see our last postcard?

That's a third party solicitor acting on direction of the Texas-Exes Alumni Association, a completely separate 501c entity apart from the University of Texas. 

This shit yesterday and today is the 40 for 40 deal and it's driving most of us fucking insane.  I mean, one overall email from the school would be fine.  But it's every single entity you've ever come in contact with.  And it's text, email, VM.  I'm pretty sure I just got a fax from UT Libraries in some stroke of irony. 

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

What about the non-stop postcards to update your alumni info?  This is your last chance!!!! No we really mean it!!! OK NOW WE MEAN IT!!! Okay... one more chance!  Hey, did you see our last postcard?

i mean, that's just a naked way to get you into a donation sales pitch, isn't it? i get your postcards, addressed to me, at my new address, you've already fucking found me. yes, i also still get the alcalde, despite never updating my address with them. they are masters at finding you. i also get your calls, but i never answer them. if i want to cut a check, i'll cut a check, otherwise, leave me alone, yall.

i got called sometime last week...  I normally know better than the answer the 512 459 xxxx calls but I was expecting a call from a doc office.

student calling me from Texas Exes trying the same postcard BS, except now its a phone call.

She says they want to confirm my address and wanted to know if I got the postcard.

my response was, "actually got about 40 of them"  Im getting them, you're sending them, and you obviously have myphone number  and hung up

I realize its a student who has to do those calls to get some sort of credit, but I really wanted to say  leave me the fuck alone.

29 minutes ago, texasdago said:

This is the one that kills me. Why can't this be done online. I am not calling some BS 800# to give my info, but would be more likely to go online and provide some info.

Cannot even count how many of these letters/post cards I have received.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

This is the one that kills me. Why can't this be done online. I am not calling some BS 800# to give my info, but would be more likely to go online and provide some info.

Because the end game is they try and sell you a fucking paper directory or something. Which is already online via the Exes site. 

33 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, that's just a naked way to get you into a donation sales pitch, isn't it? i get your postcards, addressed to me, at my new address, you've already fucking found me. yes, i also still get the alcalde, despite never updating my address with them. they are masters at finding you. i also get your calls, but i never answer them. if i want to cut a check, i'll cut a check, otherwise, leave me alone, yall.

Totally... I had a job at the Business School my senior year... we would dial for dollars calling people to update their alumni information... ohhhhh and by the way, let me ask you for money.

The emails that get me are the ones that started coming in March saying, in essence, "Hey, lots of folks are fixing to die.  If you die, don't you want to leave most of your estate to The University?"  I work at a shit plant, how much do you think I can leave you?  My wife and kids are kinda my priorities, and I never attended UT, so I have to pass on that.

I'm not a legacy Longhorn like many of you.  Didn't even attend that long.  And these emails are annoying as shit particularly since we'll get them again at the end of the calendar/tax year, then we'll get them in that Austin Gives March campaign in early Spring.  That's three bombardments each calendar year and it's ridiculous.  Nevermind this Exes third party shit to collect our mailing addresses and kids' birthdates.  

Having said that though, remember that when it comes to UT...roughly the same amount of their budget comes from the AUF as comes from Philanthropy like this.  And it's also about the same amount that comes to UT from the State Legislature.  All roughly 11%.  The school is like a certain elected official, it's Rich on Paper, but it ain't in Real Life.  

I unsubscribed to all the emails.  It worked.  But literally just got this SMS:

Hi Professor Sexy Man! This is Emily from UT Austin. 40 Hours for the Forty Acres, UT's day of giving, started yesterday! Your support can help UT programs thrive, adapt & grow. Can we count on your support before time runs out?

Should I ask for nudes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Hi Professor Sexy Man! This is Emily from UT Austin. 40 Hours for the Forty Acres, UT's day of giving, started yesterday! Your support can help UT programs thrive, adapt & grow. Can we count on your support before time runs out?

Should I ask for nudes?

What a coincidence, mine is also from Emily!  At 12:02 Texas time today. 

Emily again

Sorry if the 40 Hours for the Forty Acres link did not come through completely, wanted to send again: https://40for40.utexas.edu/amb/yes

please tell me that everyone’s first text link was cut off. Otherwise that means they are sending these one at a time. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

Because the end game is they try and sell you a fucking paper directory or something. Which is already online via the Exes site. 

Lulz. I called them back a few years ago when they were in a previous effort to update the alumni directory. They want to sell you about 50 things including a travel bag, a sweatshirt, a hardbound alumni directory and all sorts of stupid shit. 

Navin R. Johnson : Ah... It's a profit deal.

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, that's just a naked way to get you into a donation sales pitch, isn't it? i get your postcards, addressed to me, at my new address, you've already fucking found me. yes, i also still get the alcalde, despite never updating my address with them. they are masters at finding you. 

NRA constantly mailing me 20 year after I was last a member, and keeping up with my address through 7-8 moves across multiple states got me interested In looking this stuff up.  Pretty much all physical magazines we are subscribed to these days are selling their address lists.    Selling those lists and advertising is keeping them afloat.

UT is going to be asking me for a lot more next year when I start taking classes there again.    FML.

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

3 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Well, I called the damn number, full expecting a pitch for a donation or something.  They want damn near $300 for the damn directory. Told them no about 7 times before they gave up.

Then they sent an email with a link to verify online the information I had to call to verify.  Fuck them.

25 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I can't believe the school is paying a contractor to do this bullshit. 

They're not paying that service.  That service is paying them.  Kinda like Texas Exes aren't paying Bank of America to offer an exclusive UT Visa card, it goes the other way.  We have a database of 500,000 alumni with 100,000 being active, dues-paying, annual donors to UT.  That information is worth a lot of money to a lot of groups.  They're just not going about it in the right way.  They're just now figuring out how to right that ship and truly capitalize on the brand while being less annoying to alums.  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They're not paying that service.  That service is paying them.  Kinda like Texas Exes aren't paying Bank of America to offer an exclusive UT Visa card, it goes the other way.  We have a database of 500,000 alumni with 100,000 being active, dues-paying, annual donors to UT.  That information is worth a lot of money to a lot of groups.  They're just not going about it in the right way.  They're just now figuring out how to right that ship and truly capitalize on the brand while being less annoying to alums.  

That's even worse. I thought UT hired some contractor to help clean up the records.

This is just a data mining activity for a third party and doesn't have anything to do with UT whatsoever. 

Good, if UT is getting paid and the third party is incurring costs to keep sending these postcards out then I will gladly continue to wipe my ass with them. 

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

That's even worse. I thought UT hired some contractor to help clean up the records.

This is just a data mining activity for a third party and doesn't have anything to do with UT whatsoever. 

Good, if UT is getting paid and the third party is incurring costs to keep sending these postcards out then I will gladly continue to wipe my ass with them. 

For the umpteenth time, it has nothing to do with UT.  It's a third party contract engaged by Texas-Exes.  That's a private alumni association 501c organization that is not directly connected to the University of Texas.  I'm as annoyed with it as all of you are, but this 40 for 40 solicitation campaign going on right now (almost about over actually) is NOT the same as the alumni directory bullshit.  And the fundraising efforts of Texas Exes are for scholarships and are a completely separate entity from the University of Texas whose fundraising efforts are primarily revolving around G&A expenses, et. al.  I hate the emails, I reported them all as spam today.  The alumni directory is a separate issue and I'm not even eligible for it, I don't think.  But a totally different deal.  Not sure why it's so hard for folks to see that.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

For the umpteenth time, it has nothing to do with UT.  It's a third party contract engaged by Texas-Exes.  That's a private alumni association 501c organization that is not directly connected to the University of Texas.  I'm as annoyed with it as all of you are, but this 40 for 40 solicitation campaign going on right now (almost about over actually) is NOT the same as the alumni directory bullshit.  And the fundraising efforts of Texas Exes are for scholarships and are a completely separate entity from the University of Texas whose fundraising efforts are primarily revolving around G&A expenses, et. al.  I hate the emails, I reported them all as spam today.  The alumni directory is a separate issue and I'm not even eligible for it, I don't think.  But a totally different deal.  Not sure why it's so hard for folks to see that.  

I think it’s due to fact that when you combine:Exes, Longhorn Foundation (athletics), athletics in general, McCombs(or whatever school your major was in), Blanton, UT general fund, Chancellor’s Circle, etc etc etc that is a fuck load of calls/emails that are all disjointed and separate from one another. Yet all using UT as leverage for $. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, what that guy said.  I was merely trying to separate out the frustration before people start blaming shit on the wrong group.  

But yeah, you got the System, then UT-Austin, then your particular CSU, then the Texas-Exes.  Plus I''m sure a lot of you fellas are also getting UT-centric solicitations for your sororities, etc.  

Nevermind anything else on campus you may have a membership to like RecSports, Blanton Museum of Art, Ransom Center, Texas Performing Arts, et. al.  

They do need to figure out a different a way to do this next time around.  Problem is that it's worked really well so far.  Even without the rich, leatherbound volumes.  But Brazilhorn brings up a good broader point.  

Anyway, block all the calls, report all the emails as spam.  But please y'all........join HookedIn.  I got such great feedback from literally 100 undergrads earlier this week.  They're loving it as a way to meaningfully connect with mentors in particular professions.  The traditional Exes model wasn't working, and as I joke with them...an alumni being connected with 100 undergrads on Linkedin is not a good look.  But this tool is really good for connecting horns with other alums but also students looking for real world insight.  Check it out when you can!  Thanks and Hook 'Em.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Should I ask for nudes?

Well shit, I thought I was special from Emily. 

Sorry, I was being lazy in referencing "UT". As mentioned above, quite often when we're getting stuff from 7 separate entities, in our minds it's all UT.

I'm not surprised that some enterprise managed by Texas Exes is a complete clusterfuck.

But good for them, hope they made a lot of money. I'll remember that when they want me to pay $50 to go to some lame event that has a cash bar. 

I joined HookedIn. My company isn't doing recruiting this year, as I imagine is the case with many companies. Gotta be rough for the upperclassmen. 

I have been consistently impressed when returning to campus to meet undergrads and I am happy to try to help them virtually if at all possible. 

Edited by TornACL