Tom Petty - Wildflowers & All the Rest

oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, stc said:

also had no idea that rod stewart covered leave virginia alone before TP ever released it. 

Yeah I guess he gave it to him when they decided it didn't make the cut for Wildflowers.... which is wild because the Tom Petty version sounds like it would have easily been a top 10 hit in 1994.

That dude was so fucking talented.

my copy arrived in the mail yesterday. it's so fucking awesome i don't even give a shit that I paid like $15 for shipping thinking i would get it early when, in fact, i could have gone to the record store earlier this week and bought it for $15 less. 

i think it sounds great. my favorite TP album. I can't even imagine if he would have ended up putting my favorite TP song Walls (No 3, of course) on the record, as I understand he was writing that track during the wildflower sessions. Apparently there is a home recorded version of it on the 7-LP set. I gotta find a way to listen to that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

it's available on twitch if you missed it. watched it yesterday while doing other stuff...the dhani harrison cover was my favorite, chris stapleton was pretty good too. margo price took a big shit on crawling back to you. not familiar with her work, but that shit was terrible. 

spoon cover of breakdown was very solid too. 

Edited by stc

On 10/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, stc said:

it's available on twitch if you missed it. watched it yesterday while doing other stuff...the dhani harrison cover was my favorite, chris stapleton was pretty good too. margo price took a big shit on crawling back to you. not familiar with her work, but that shit was terrible. 

spoon cover of breakdown was very solid too. 

WHO THA FUCK is margo price and why was she allowed to desecrate such a  great song?  

id always liked TP well enough, but didn't become a super-fan until I saw in live for the 1st time in Minneapolis. He played well over 2 hours and I knew every word to every song and came up with about another dozen he didn't even play on the way home. I'd never realized how many great songs he had till that night. I remember he played an acoustic, solo version of "I wont back down" on  J200 that sent chills down my back.
FF, I joined the Highway Companions club a few years ago for pre-sale access. That got me in to see Mudcrutch at the Fillmore a little over a year before his passing. He played bass with his thumb. I had never heard a bass sound that big. The whole room resonated with it like you were inside the speaker cabinet or something. I spoke to a friend who works concessions at the venue and he said TP had spent the entire afternoon dialing in the bass to the room. Mike Campbell played a Telecaster with a B-Bender the entire show. Incredible.
A year later or so Im going through a  divorce and my Dad is sick. From the fan club I had 6th row seats at The Greek in Berkeley on Aug 22. I was in Texas with my Dad when he passed on Aug 18, but was back in time for the show. Both Mike and Tom were bringing out out different guitars every song, that was a treat. Tom was kinda mumbling in between songs and my friend wondered if he was a little drunk or something, but I said I though he was just slowly turning into Bob Dylan. Now i think it was the opiates he was taking to get through the tour with a broken hip. Im glad i bought the T-Shirt from that night! From there he lost is voice and they had to postpone the following 2 nights that we scheduled there; the last of which was re-scheduled to a date when my daughter was in town. I offered to get tickets and take her, but ultimately we decided not to go. I regret that. She'll never get to see him now. 
A few weeks later i saw on the internet that he was being rushed to the hospital as soon as it broke and kept hitting refresh and texting with friends about until they announced his death. That was on my ex wife's birthday. 
For me, TP's passing sits right there in the middle of that fucked up period in my life where I lost my Dad and my marriage. Soon after, i got this tattoo over my heart that kinda represents all three. I also have the numbered print poster from that last show and a photo of the band I'd received from the FC for tour displayed as you leave my place. Hell, even the Moroccan lamp hanging in my stairwell was inspired by the set design way back at that Minneapolis show. 
/CSB

836cf9b42636e88db898d8263c7d5524.jpg6a06ff975ad6b80f34d8bc90e69b220c.jpg00eb4713e7efcf64c683d0332ad3a7cc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

id always liked TP well enough, but didn't become a super-fan until I saw in live for the 1st time in Minneapolis. He played well over 2 hours and I knew every word to every song and came up with about another dozen he didn't even play on the way home. I'd never realized how many great songs he had till that night. I remember he played an acoustic, solo version of "I wont back down" on  J200 that sent chills down my back.
FF, I joined the Highway Companions club a few years ago for pre-sale access. That got me in to see Mudcrutch at the Fillmore a little over a year before his passing. He played bass with his thumb. I had never heard a bass sound that big. The whole room resonated with it like you were inside the speaker cabinet or something. I spoke to a friend who works concessions at the venue and he said TP had spent the entire afternoon dialing in the bass to the room. Mike Campbell played a Telecaster with a B-Bender the entire show. Incredible.
A year later or so Im going through a  divorce and my Dad is sick. From the fan club I had 6th row seats at The Greek in Berkeley on Aug 22. I was in Texas with my Dad when he passed on Aug 18, but was back in time for the show. Both Mike and Tom were bringing out out different guitars every song, that was a treat. Tom was kinda mumbling in between songs and my friend wondered if he was a little drunk or something, but I said I though he was just slowly turning into Bob Dylan. Now i think it was the opiates he was taking to get through the tour with a broken hip. Im glad i bought the T-Shirt from that night! From there he lost is voice and they had to postpone the following 2 nights that we scheduled there; the last of which was re-scheduled to a date when my daughter was in town. I offered to get tickets and take her, but ultimately we decided not to go. I regret that. She'll never get to see him now. 
A few weeks later i saw on the internet that he was being rushed to the hospital as soon as it broke and kept hitting refresh and texting with friends about until they announced his death. That was on my ex wife's birthday. 
For me, TP's passing sits right there in the middle of that fucked up period in my life where I lost my Dad and my marriage. Soon after, i got this tattoo over my heart that kinda represents all three. I also have the numbered print poster from that last show and a photo of the band I'd received from the FC for tour displayed as you leave my place. Hell, even the Moroccan lamp hanging in my stairwell was inspired by the set design way back at that Minneapolis show. 
/CSB

836cf9b42636e88db898d8263c7d5524.jpg6a06ff975ad6b80f34d8bc90e69b220c.jpg00eb4713e7efcf64c683d0332ad3a7cc.jpg

Good stuff right here... sorry about your dad

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

/CSB

What a cool story. For a lot of reasons. When I listen to TP a lot of the songs seem to be born from life’s experiences, the pains that we endure and the growth that (hopefully) comes from those pains. I could totally imagine TP putting your story to song....and what a beautiful one it would be. 
I, too, am sorry for your losses. I hope you, your daughter and her mom are all healthy, and getting along these days. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 6:38 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

/CSB

I like Petty plenty...stories like that, even more.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Anyone seen the Feel Free documentary?  Think it's debuting this week at SXSW.

the original announcement said it would be available to stream...but i don't see any way to watch it without paying $400 for a digital pass. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

saw the documentary in the theater last night...maybe 10 people in there. was a pretty good behind the scenes look at the making of the album. it didn't really get into technical details, more of an overview of all the songs and a little about how they came to be...and the events in his life that were fueling them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

saw the documentary in the theater last night...maybe 10 people in there. was a pretty good behind the scenes look at the making of the album. it didn't really get into technical details, more of an overview of all the songs and a little about how they came to be...and the events in his life that were fueling them. 

Was thinking about going tonight.

Worth it?

The new documentary Tom Petty, Somewhere You Feel Free: The Making of Wildflowers will get its worldwide release on November 11 as a free streaming event shown in 4K resolution on Tom Petty‘s official YouTube channel as part of the YouTube Originals series.

https://1430wcmy.com/2021/10/22/new-tom-petty-documentary-to-get-worldwide-premiere-on-youtube-for-free-in-november/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Top 5 Band for me and my biggest regret is not ever seeing them live.

You chose poorly. 

I saw him once, roughly November 1991, and the show was absolutely amazing. I’ve mentioned it before, but Tom & Friends could put on a motherfuckin’ show!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, Napoleon said:

You chose poorly. 

I saw him once, roughly November 1991, and the show was absolutely amazing. I’ve mentioned it before, but Tom & Friends could put on a motherfuckin’ show!

For sure. I'm not a stranger to good shows.  I screwed up.

Edited by dcbc

On 1/1/2022 at 10:28 PM, jimmyjazz said:

How did you quote a post dcbc made on another thread?

All you have to do is hit the + on a comment and then go to whichever thread you want to post it in. THEN you hit that you want to reply to the post and it spits it out right there.

People accidentally do this on occasion and their reply was to a completely different thread. Learn from mistakes... wether they are yours or someone else's.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 5.07.33 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...