Let's say you have to travel back in time.

Santos L. Helper

45 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Texas. That puts you here just in time to be one of the squatters who got to become one of Austin's old three hundred. Of course, I'm not crazy so I'll keep a healthy distance from Commancheria.

You’d meet a dashing young man named Army Brat too! 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

LeHavre, France, 1820. Not because the town holds any particular charm for me; I doubt I shall move much in whatever society it possesses, instead spending my waking moments working feverishly to the point of demoniac madness to perfect my various inventions, including

1. Steam-propelled auto-gyrocopter

2. Steam-propelled oceanic/riverine submersible

3. Steam-propelled rocket battery (one must be able to bombard towns into submission)

4. Magnetically-induced Spirit Communication Apparatus (back-up power: steam)

After these and others survive their first trials, I shall no doubt summer in my ice-fortress in Spitzbergen, winter in Tahiti, and spend the temperate months between being feted in the salons of Paris, a tiresome business, but necessary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I have come back over 200 years to actually see what happens during the Pandemic of 2020/21, and the ensuing US/Russia/China entanglement which starts after the election
(oops - I should not have said that)

If I were to go further back, I'd go to the time of the American Revolution - fascinating time, with fascinating men (and women)

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

LeHavre, France, 1820. Not because the town holds any particular charm for me; I doubt I shall move much in whatever society it possesses, instead spending my waking moments working feverishly to the point of demoniac madness to perfect my various inventions, including

1. Steam-propelled auto-gyrocopter

2. Steam-propelled oceanic/riverine submersible

3. Steam-propelled rocket battery (one must be able to bombard towns into submission)

4. Magnetically-induced Spirit Communication Apparatus (back-up power: steam)

After these and others survive their first trials, I shall no doubt summer in my ice-fortress in Spitzbergen, winter in Tahiti, and spend the temperate months between being feted in the salons of Paris, a tiresome business, but necessary.

• Like 1

200 years? So, prior to 1820? I'm going to the West Coast somewhere near present day Columa. California and I'm going to pan for gold. Then, when the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is signed, I'm taking all that gold and getting the hell out before the rest of America decides to become neighbors. With a little luck, I can circumvent 175 years of ancestral poverty.

Edit: What? You're surprised I just cut out the middleman on my way to being a gold digger?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Santos L. Helper said:

Once. 

You have to travel back at least 200 years, can land in any location on Earth, and you can never come back. 

Where do you choose to settle, and why?

Mmmm, roughly ten years ago.  make a lot of parlay sports bets i know the outcome to...none big enough to destroy the gambling industry and get myself blacklisted but slowly accumulate billions in smaller, 6 figure wins.  take those wins, invest most of the winnings in NVIDIA back when it was trading at $1.64.  sell it all a few weeks ago at $500+. 

more along the lines of what you're asking, belle epoque in paris maybe.  but at this point and knowing what i know now, everything would suck.  shit was dirty, unhygenic, subject to non-stop world and regional wars, no instant information, chicks were not as hot to what i am used to now...the only value would really just to be present for pivotal moments in history that we know for whatever period.

It'd be funny as hell trying to explain modern life to people 200+ years ago.

"Everyone has a small device that they carry around in their pocket at all times. It requires no wires, yet contains the entire sum total of human knowledge, the ability to have live video conversations with basically anyone on Earth, and lots of other neat stuff."

"Unbelievable!! How does it work???"

"Uh....um...."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

It'd be funny as hell trying to explain modern life to people 200+ years ago.

"Everyone has a small device that they carry around in their pocket at all times. It requires no wires, yet contains the entire sum total of human knowledge, the ability to have live video conversations with basically anyone on Earth, and lots of other neat stuff."

"Unbelievable!! How does it work???"

"Uh....um...."

spacer.png

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yes, but when anyone ever tries to call you on it you have to ignore them because chances are it's just a spam call.  Then you have to explain spam.

It might be fun to be the 13th Apostle

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Where are the best drugs and women? If I only have a few years before I die of a tooth infection or the plague, I'm going out like a champ. 

Early 1800s, start up a company making soft drinks based around cocaine.   Or start up a business selling marijuana as a magical elixir that cures what ails you.   Also, a side business as a gynecologist, using vibrators (have to figure out the mechanics) to “cure” the women of the time, of what ails them.    The third leg of my empire would be based around dental hygiene.  The first baking soda factory in the US was 1846; I can beat that by 30 years.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

200 years? So, prior to 1820? I'm going to the West Coast somewhere near present day Columa. California and I'm going to pan for gold. Then, when the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is signed, I'm taking all that gold and getting the hell out before the rest of America decides to become neighbors. With a little luck, I can circumvent 175 years of ancestral poverty.

Edit: What? You're surprised I just cut out the middleman on my way to being a gold digger?

Assuming a bear doesn't eat you ass first